PDA

View Full Version : The House of Obsessive Compulsives

seh1980
27-07-05, 19:59
Just to let you all know that there is a documentary on next Monday on Channel 4 called "The House of Obsessive Compulsives". Bassically, a group of people all with OCD move in together. Could make for VERY interesting viewing..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

nomorepanic
27-07-05, 20:20
Sarah

Thanks for that.

The guy helping them is Professor Paul Salkovskis, the one that Meg and I had dinner with at the No panic conference.

He is a no-nonsense guy so should be interesting viewing.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

seh1980
27-07-05, 22:04
hi Lu,

From what I saw of the advery for it, it didn't look like it was a horrible look on OCD. It seemed to be done in quite high spirits and seemed almost quite 'fun'. I don't think it will scare you. You will probably learn quite a bit about it, which can't be a bad thing.

Sarah :D

Meg
27-07-05, 22:05
We had a good chat about it at the conference and he was saying how well it had turned out ..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
27-07-05, 22:07
Sounds good Meg. I am looking forward to it :D

leo05
28-07-05, 16:18
yeah i saw it advertised too i am going to watch it

kairen
28-07-05, 19:44
I saw that advertised but im sure i will forget ..........

kairen x

EmmaJane
28-07-05, 20:10
It does sound good, I would like to watch that, but with my memory the way it is, I think, I will need to be PM ed on the day to remind me. pleaseee xx

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

kate
29-07-05, 08:42
I'm hoping that they show a broad cross section of OCD sufferers, not just the usual one of people that can't stop washing their hands.

OCD manifests itself in so many more ways than that which is usually portrayed by the media. An insight into all aspects of this disorder would make a refreshing change and educate people a lot more.

Kate x

sal
29-07-05, 16:02
Thanks for that Sarah.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

kate
01-08-05, 12:45
Yes, Lu, give it a go. Hannah is going to watch it, it will be nice for you both to realise that others also suffer with the same thing.

Love Kate x

kate
02-08-05, 09:20
Did anyone watch it and if so what did you think?

I personally wasn't particularly impressed. It was the usual "handwashing" scenario, another woman who also had contamination issues and a man who was scared of writing confessions to crimes he hadn't comitted.

Hannah started watching it but soon got bored as she could not relate her type of OCD to the sufferers on screen.

They also failed to show how the woman was suddenly able to sprinkle glitter all over herself or how the other woman could stick her hand down the loo. There was nothing about the lead up to them being able to do these things, they just did them!

I myself think that a broader cross section of sufferers could have been represented.

Kate x

Meg
02-08-05, 13:28
Was it just a one off or is it a series ?

clickaway
02-08-05, 13:35
Meg - Part 2 is on next Monday but I think that's it.

I quite agree with Kate about the programme not explaining how the people could suddenly do these things - quite a major failing in my view.

Frankly, I could never dip my hands in the cleanest of loos and then grab a sandwich soon afterwards and I don't have OCD! Yet, that Sophie managed it without washing her hands!

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

sal
02-08-05, 13:43
I taped it so will watch it later on but apparently my friend saw it and wasnt too impressed with it.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

mjh74
02-08-05, 14:21
I watched it and now I fear I'll be stuck with this for 20 or so years! [Duh!]

tattybear
02-08-05, 14:58
Unfortunatly I missed it, but i think its on again next week? So i'll definatly be watching. I do have OCD but not to the extremes luckily.

Tatty B xx

seh1980
02-08-05, 16:49
I agree with you Kate. It was like he performed a miracle on them all, wasn't it??

Yes, it finishes next Monday. :D

leo05
02-08-05, 16:52
i watched it too and thought that they could run it longer ya know to show step by step procedures and the lest serious ones if i use that word

kimmy
02-08-05, 17:16
i watched it, it was great! well done to those people who were in it, next weekes looks a bit distressing though ( for me anyways) i have health anxiety, so i was worried i might get o.c.d. next?? :D

sal
04-08-05, 22:14
I have just watched it and at first i was dubious and obviously we all have problems that we want to be brought forward. I have seen a programme in January with the same guy helping and did the toilet bit but this extended further and gave a great perspective on the thoughts process so i wasnt disappointed at all. I know personally that i get terrible, awful thoughts but someone that suffers to the extent that they tie themselves to the bed and hide pens and paper in case they incriminate themselves for no reason, just leaves me feeling admiration for how they cope and makes me realise that any problem however small or big can be helped.

I guess people that suffer like the programme detailed will have taken the benefit and i have and others that dont feel like that and watched it i hope they can appreciate how hard some people get this condition and can relate to however they suffer they have hope to get better and a lot of people feel like they do or even worse and come through it.

Love Sal xx

seh1980
04-08-05, 22:37
Was thinking..I know that some of us criticised the program because the people just suddenly seemed to be 'cured' which was a bit silly, i.e. the one woman went from being terrified of germs to touching the inside of a toilet and then eating without washing her hands first - very fishy!! BUT...I was thinking..could these people have been able to take this massive step just because they had met eachother?? All 3 of them said that they had never met anyone with OCD before so could it be that meeting eachother helped them that much?? :D

Meg
04-08-05, 23:22
Sarah ,

Thats what Prof said when we spoke to him, that they each pushed the others and said ' I will xyz if you do and they got a huge motivation from each other. Doesn't sound like they edited it very clearly though .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
05-08-05, 10:14
Oh thanks for that Meg. I thought that might have been the reason why they were suddenly able to do the things they did but it wasn't very well portrayed in the programme..:D

kate
05-08-05, 11:46
True Sarah,

They needed to point this out to make sense of their amazing achievements in such a short space of time.

Kate x

alexis
05-08-05, 13:44
I was wondering the same as Sarah, because although my suffering is not as deep as the people on the programme I have trouble being in a room, sitting, with people I dont know and sometimes even more than a few people unless they are not moving, yet I recently went to the meetup, with complete strangers (barr one who Id met the day before), and I had no hesitation at all, also I can honestly say I did not at any stage of that weekend feel near to panic, I think a lot is down to trust also, if Id panicked or run out or anything I would be with people who knew what to do, and not just look at me like I was someone possesed.we all knew each other had /have problems and maybe that was the same with these three.
I enjoyed it and my heart went out especially to the man, like Sal said, to have to tie himself down............Looking forward to next weeks, Love Alexis,x

kairen
05-08-05, 19:14
I watched the programme but like you all said it seemed to be a very quick and unexplained recovery, if only it were that easy for everyone, yes i bet it was a great comfort and encouragement to meet people with the same problems like this site has been for us, would have been much more of a help to other people if they had shown more of how they helped these people

kairen x

sal
05-08-05, 20:50
I agree it didnt go into too much detail but i recorded a programme in January (that is till have to send to Nic) with that guy on it and how he treated people was so much more informative.

Love Sal xx

kimmy
07-08-05, 18:39
i agree the programme was all a bit rushed, not very informative but didnt anybody see the end??? there was clip of next weeks and the "glitter" lady was extremly distressed and was really twitching or something in her kitchen. i guess we have to wait and see xxxx[:P]

seh1980
07-08-05, 20:26
Yeah Kimmy I saw that clip..we'll see what happens tomorrow :D

kimmy
08-08-05, 22:00
OK IT WASNT VERY INFORMATIVE AT ALL! BUT HEY IT WAS GOOD, MADE ME CRY A BIT!!!! SO THE PROF IS TRYING TO PERSUADE THE NHS AH????? WHAT COULD WE ALL DO TO HELP??? ANY SUGGESTIONS?:D

tattybear
11-08-05, 15:03
Unfortunaly I missed both eposodes :(

Anyone know if its to be repeated?

Tatty B xx

clickaway
11-08-05, 19:39
We can all point out the weeknesses of this programme, but lets celebrate the fact that it got a pretty high profile. It was aired at 9pm on Channel 4 (just before Big Brother) and had a full page advert on the rear cover of the Radio Times.

I hope the production company learn from the feedback when they make the planned programme on Social Anxiety.

I can't remember exactly what Professer Salskovis said, but it was something like the possibility of the NHS doing some limited work using these techniques - perhaps someone can correct me on this?

Mental Health has always been the Cinderella part of the NHS and I hope that programmes such as these will push mental health more up the public agenda.

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker