PDA

View Full Version : Changing from Citalopram to Fluoxetine

Juppster
09-03-09, 08:40
Hi guys....i am new to this site today and just wanted to share my experience with you..

I have had about 3 episodes of anxiety related depression in the past 8 years. The most current episode happened just after having my son 2 1/2 years ago for which i took Citalopram for around 7 months which seemed to do wonders and so i was weaned off. However, after another 8 months or so i could feel the old symptoms coming back and so started to have some CBT and was prescribed citalopram again. Unfortunately the medication did not seem to work this time and so after 8 months of "waiting for it to kick in":shrug: my doctor has swapped me over to fluoxetine, which i took for my very first episode of depression approx 8 years ago.

I am on day 12 of taking 20mgs and feel DREADFUL! I do remember feeling quite bad before when i first started taking fluoxetine but i just can't recall how long i felt bad for! For me, it seems like this is taking an eternity to work (if it will work at all of course!) Im not really looking for any answers as i know everyone differs but just wanted to share my experiences with you... it also helps to offload a little bit to other people too!

Thanks for reading :D

Irishhhhhh
09-03-09, 23:59
I am in the same boat as you as I am waiting for them to kick in and I have been on them for a month after coming off Trazodone.

At the beginning I did feel dizzy and sick but this feeling has quickly disappeared but at the moment I have a dry feeling in the back of my throat which I keep trying to clear but ending up making it worse!

I do feel something from the Fluoxetime and want to remain on it for now to see if it develops into anything good. I recently had my dose doubled to 40mgs so I hope to experience more of a change in the future. I was nervous about getting the dose doubled but even more nervous also taking Diazepam today for the first time but so far so good!

12 days is still early on so hang on in there as any side affects you are having need time to clear and hopefully the next couple of weeks you might begin to notice a change.

Juppster
10-03-09, 08:17
Thanks for your words of encouragement!! I just seem to be feeling worse every day...still, as you say, 12 days is still very early so will hang on a few more weeks and see what happens....hope you begin to feel the benefit of increasing your dose....thanks again :yesyes: