PDA

View Full Version : Scared of being alone?

VictorJoubert
09-03-09, 10:01
I have travelled quite alot for work, mostly round Africa. Everytime I used to go I would think what if something had to happen to me? The hospitals are not so good. What if no one knows who I am? What if no one comes to rescue me? Now being at home alone just trying to relax, I feel all uneasy. What if something happens to me? Who would know if something happend?
Then they show this add on the tv about strokes and when it strikes... then suddenly I start to feel all weird and like its gonna happen to me... I hate the feeling. Whenever I see or hear something like the stroke add on tv, I change the channel. I can't even watch programmes like ER and so on. Cause when someone is being treated for heart attacks I get all worried. Last week in Churh, a lady fainted or something and the pramedics had to come fetch her. I suddenly felt all worried again. Panicking... I have gone to see the doctor and he put me on Sertraline. I have been for an ECG to put my mind at ease.
I just want to know if there is anyone else having this problem?

PUGLETMUM
09-03-09, 10:13
:) yes have had it, but now i have the thoughts and cope with them and just reverse them. we cant have control over everything, i think we are all agreed on that? and things do happen to ppl and they cant get help, and we hear about these stories in the media. but in the main, you prob would be able to get help - someone would find you or you would be able to ring 999. my new way of dealing with this - im on my own alot! - is to say to myself ill get onto the front garden where ppl are always passing/my neighbours would see me and get help!:blush: mine started when i had a miscarriage and i started to worry i would bleed to death - but really i knew i wouldnt but i didnt want to panic if something untoward did happen, now im better i can ratioanlise it.

just think about the woman who fainted - she got help didnt she,and so would you - ive also been frightened by the stroke ad so i had to tell myself i am too young and it wont happen to me! then my husband saw it and he looked worried (very unlike him) and i had a little joke with him and said well it isnt important he knows the signs because if we have the stroke oursleves we will need someone else to know them - i was being a bit cruel saying you better hope i know the signs!:winks:

but to be serious i know its hard, but you can get agrip of this way of thinking - we are not alone in this world, ppl will always help, dont beleive what you read all the time that no one cares - lots of ppl do but we dont hear about them - only horror stories sell papers:)

Utility
10-03-09, 19:43
Hi

That's the whole point, it is only the extreme cases that ever make it into the media or medical dramas. You never read about the fact that the vast majority of people who visit their GP's or casualty departments with chest pains, suspected heart problems and the likes end up with nothing wrong. That's just boring, so why report it?

It's similar to the perception of serious crime. People think it is on the increase, when in fact it's going down - it just gets reported more because the channels have to fill 24 hour news.

Focus on the positives and cast aside the negatives. I would say one positve that you could easily relate to is the fact that you have travelled all over Africa and nothing serious happened.