PDA

View Full Version : Scared to go to doctor?

sammyj
09-03-09, 14:30
Anyone really scared to go to the doctor and will avoid it at all costs?I note most people on here have been to the doctor for the HA or anything they may be feeling.But just wondered if anyone has thought they had something, avoided going to the doctor and is fine now (making you realise it was probably your HA all along)I know its best to get checked if unsure but learning the truth if it is a horrible one is a difficult thing to face, despite what your common sense tells you

kirstymc
09-03-09, 18:37
I'm absolutely terrified. Not just doctors, I won't even go to the dentists or opticians because I'm so scared of getting bad news when I get there. I haven't officially been diagnosed with HA because I just can't face going the doctors in case it turns out that what I've been trying to convince myself are anxiety symptoms, aren't at all and are something bad.

mummyto4
09-03-09, 18:53
yep I am the same! your not alone

nomorepanic
09-03-09, 19:23
I would rather know if I did have something serious so it could be treated asap and then the chances of getting better sooner are obviously far greater.

They say "ignorance is bliss" but when it is your health and your life at stake then it isn't bliss and "knowledge is power" so you are better off knowing than pretending all is ok and getting worse.

My thoughts anyway

justbananas
09-03-09, 19:31
i agree with what you're saying nic but for me, the biggest part of my health anxiety is that mental anguish of thinking everything's wrong but not wanting to deal. it's part of the spiral for me. some people live at dr's offices but i'm the opposite - i put it off and put it off and build things in my head. i'm one of those people who genuinely does feel better and accepts answers from a dr's appointment. the problem is just forcing myself to go for something in the first place!

mummyto4
09-03-09, 20:02
What I tend to do is try to give it a bit of balance. When I have symptoms, I do come on here to see if they are common factors of anxiety. Normally, things settle down after that but if they don't, I make a consious decision that if things are no better with (a) particular symptom in a week, or it gets worse THEN I will go to the doctor. So far I havn't ended up having to go to the doctor, so its gives me a strong indication its anxiety doing it to me again. If I went to the dr with every symptom (I) have, I may aswell move in there! I am not ignorant to health issues and agree with you on the importance of knowledge is power but I want to beat this and not keep worrying and going to the dr al the time, I want to not keep worrying 'what if it is' and live my life to the full.

justbananas
09-03-09, 20:11
i agree - it really is about finding that balance. i go to the dr.'s for general health checks, but there's a balance to be found