PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Lexapro

minderaser13
09-03-09, 21:15
I have been on Citalopram for 2.5 months and they haven't really provided me with consistent relief. I spoke to my doctor about switching to Lexapro and he said that its worth a try. He said I can just switch to the Lexapro without weaning off the Citalopram. Is this true? Has anyone done this? Were there any side effects or withdrawels?

butchville
13-03-09, 09:30
your best bet is to talk to your doctor or phone nhs direct and speak to an online nurse

i cant see the point of this forum because no bugger replys the the top 4 posts have a few views but no replys ,,come on people make an effort

bab
13-03-09, 10:28
Hi Butch
i was on citalopram for a few years and it stopped working so i switched to cipralex/lexapro. I dont care what anyone said lexapro is definately a better drug. docs dont prescribe it as much as its more expensive then citalopram but it has less side effects and its much more effective.

bab
13-03-09, 10:39
Hi mindraiser

pm me anytime but i def think cipralex is a better drug

minderaser13
15-03-09, 15:09
Thank you for the reply. For now, I am going to increase my dose a bit on the citalopram and see if that gets me some consistency. When you switched from citalopram did you taper down first or just stop taking citalopram and go right to the lexapro?

bab
15-03-09, 18:15
they sadi i could just switch but i gave myslef 2 days off anything just because i was anxios about switching staright over but there is no need for a gap

Yvonne
15-03-09, 18:22
Hi

They are basically the same medication from what I've read and from whatmy shrink told me. Escitalapram/Cipralex/Lexapro is Citalapram with a few isomers taken out to ease side effects. You can definitely swap from one to the other no probs. I've always wondered if it is actually better than Citalapram - ooh I hated that one.

Take care.

bab
15-03-09, 19:17
it is definately better just more expensive to prescribe

leesavee
06-04-09, 17:04
hi there..
ive recently changed from citalopram to cipralex and feeling alot better..not so many anxious moments

reallyfedup
30-04-09, 10:46
hi I have seen my doc today and asked to go from cital to escital? Will it be better for anxiety? Anyone know ? Any side effects for a straight swap from 40 cital to 2-3 ml escital a day? thanks for any advice x:shrug: