PDA

View Full Version : Feels like im chocking on everything!!

Maybe_Baby
10-03-09, 17:58
My anxiety has been TERRIBLE today :(
Ive been monitoring my pulse (which has been averaging at 110 bpm)

Also every time i have eating something i feel as if it is lodged in my throat :(
I have just had tea, and im convinced i have potato stuck in it..
If i did, i'd know about it though? ..

I feel as if im been a complete idiot today, but i feel totally up a height!!

Yvonne
10-03-09, 18:14
Hi

The worst thing you can do is monitor your pulse because all you're doing is keeping the mind focused on the unpleasant sensation and you're scaring yourself as well. Try not to do that.

Have you got a lump in the throat? I imagine you have. The proper term for it is globus hystericus. The muscles in the throat constrict so makes swallowing unleasant. Try some deep breathing exercises and please try to relax.

You're not a complete idiot at all you're just suffering some horrible anxiety symptoms and it's making you feel bad. Take care.

Maybe_Baby
10-03-09, 18:29
Thanks Yvonne.

Yes, i do have a lump in my throat - a constant one!!
I feel shakey inside.. I gasp for air (air hunger my Dr called it) I get a fast heart beat..
Infact my hearts still racing, but at times i can control it myself, and calm myself down. My boyfriend is on his way to see me, so we can do something to take my mind off it..

Im just sick of feel anxious, its the last thing i think of at night, and first thing on a morning..
Its really getting me down :(

xx

Zpo
10-03-09, 19:45
Hi There
I'm not sure if this will help, but for a year I suffered from a choking phobia where I felt that everything I ate was getting stuck in my throat and that I was going to choke. I was convinced there was something wrong with me so much so that I had a throat scan and everything was fine.
The trick with this is to know that you CANNOT choke if you chew your food properly. Just take little bites at first and chew it really well and you CANNOT choke. The more you think about it the worse your throat feels, so keep telling yourself that it is in fact, impossible to choke when you chew little bits of food. It also helps to drink some water before you eat and during. Don't worry about this too much, it WILL pass. It feels terribly scary at the time but it will go away and you will be able to eat without thinking about it very soon.
Zara

Maybe_Baby
11-03-09, 11:36
Thank you Zara :)