PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia and CBT - How will I get there!?

nikkinik
11-03-09, 00:51
I was wondering if anyone who suffers with agoraphobia and attends CBT can tell me how they cope/do it?

ATM my agoraphobia isnt great.. Im putting off just going to the post office and local shop for food.. Ive had 2 big PA's both times I went out further than normal last week (they were still places Ive been often before), I think the major contributing factor is always not feeling 100% to begin with - feeling utterly exhuasted, so I go out and worry I'll drop - setting off a PA.

I just dont know how Im going to drive the 15 odd miles to my CBT appointment. I have no one who can drive me, so I will be panicing in the car, which isnt a great experience as I always feel light headed, sickly and dizzy.. I will feel totally sick just being there.

I just dont know how I'll do it, but yet its kind of my only hope (GP knows anti d's have done nothing for me, plus they dont agree with me and my tender stomach) so I have to stick at it.

Any help/tips/advice/sucess stories would be good, thank you.

Alabasterlyn
11-03-09, 11:03
I am having CBT for my agoraphobia and can totally understand how you feel about having to go out for the treatment, after all if we could get out we wouldn't be asking for the help would we?

Last time when I had CBT about 6yrs ago my GP arranged for a psychiatrist and social worker to visit me at home and assess me for treatment. They recommended CBT and it was made clear to me that I had to go to the local mental health team unit for that treatment, which was hard, but I managed to do it as I got a lift there and back.

I have recently started a new course of CBT and although the first appointment was at my GP's surgery, since then the therapist has been coming to my house. Now this all sounds very positive, but on the down side I have found out that the NHS are training up workers in the health service to do CBT so in my case I have a trainee who is actually an occupational health therapist. She is always telling me that I probably know more about my condition and CBT than she does.

On top of this I have just found out therapists don't seem to be insured to take you out in their cars. At the moment I can walk round to my local shops and am really pushing myself. There is nowhere else where I live to walk to, so my goals are to go to the next nearest shops. I can't walk there, I have no car, I have no way of getting there other than with the therapist, but she can't take me. Stalemate :ohmy:

alisia
11-03-09, 11:46
Hi,
Ive been seeing my CBT therapist at my home.There is no way on earth i could bring myself to even step out my front door even though im desperate for the help.My doctor knew this and very kindly arranged for me to be seen at home.
Unfortunately my 'therapist' doesnt seem to have a clue about CBT and has offered to get me some 'self help material'?????:shrug:

Alabasterlyn
11-03-09, 11:59
Hi,
Ive been seeing my CBT therapist at my home.There is no way on earth i could bring myself to even step out my front door even though im desperate for the help.My doctor knew this and very kindly arranged for me to be seen at home.
Unfortunately my 'therapist' doesnt seem to have a clue about CBT and has offered to get me some 'self help material'?????:shrug:

It doesn't exactly fill one with confidence when they send you someone who is clueless I bet. How hard can it be for them to find someone who is properly trained in CBT!

nikkinik
12-03-09, 22:38
..so theres no hope for any of us then!?!? :shrug:

Yvonne
12-03-09, 22:47
I think the NHS do this to make you get out actually. Not very kind though. I don't mind the "going" to my therapist just hate sitting in the waiting room lol!!!!!

Is there any way you could get someone to go with you? Speak to the cbt therapist or your care co ordinator or whoever and say that you most definitely can't get there alone. If you are lucky they may send someone to take you. When I go for my therapy I often see people being brought by people who work in the building.

Good luck.

honeybee3939
12-03-09, 22:49
Nik

Is it your first CBT appointment? If you are so nervous about driving there isnt there anyone, friend/family member/ neighbour that could go with you for a little moral support? im sure once you have got there it will give you more confidence for your next appointment.

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Ross
12-03-09, 22:58
I personally think that the only way to deal with this is to not be concerned with 'if' you are going to have a panic attack, but 'how' you will deal with it when it arises.

We have all suffered PA's in varying strengths. The key is knowing early on when one is going to strike. If you already know your own personal symptoms of this, you can handle the situation much better.

Immediately after I recovered, everytime I ventured out, I'd plan my route carefully mentally noting places I could pull over at regular intervals 'IF' the symptoms of a panic attack arose. Armed with this information made me far less anxious. It was ME who was in control, not the Anxiety.

If talking to people you are familiar with (family or friends) helps when you are experiencing a PA, ensure you take your cell phone and make sure you have credit/talk-time.

If you use rescue remedy or any other remedy, ensure you have it in the drivers door-card, so it is easily accessible.

Take a bottle of water with you. Just a simple refreshing drink can majorly help.

Be positive about the CBT.... I have heard nothing but excellent things about it. Again, with these thoughts at the forefront of your mind, you will be eager to do this.

honeybee3939
12-03-09, 23:09
Another thing i used to do was to practice the journey before hand. Maybe do the journey when its quiet on the roads and you have no time limit to getting there. Maybe you could one day just drive half way and back to build up some confidence. You no the old saying, practice makes perfect:) .

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxx

freakedout
21-03-09, 02:01
Hi sorry you are worrying about getting to your CBT. I have agora and fluctuating levels of ability but going to my therapy is one of the few places I go to alone. I find that because they are used to dealing with people with anxiety, panic etc.... it will be OK if I arrive there and freak out because they will know what to do. It might sound silly but it is how it is for me. I do still get anxious going and sometimes I just cannot sit in the waiting room at all but hover around the exit. I stay in my car until the time of my appointment and it takes me some time to calm down, gather my thoughts etc during my appointment. I manage it because I know I feel safe with the therapist and CPN. Take someone with you if it helps.

Fortunately I had already progressed from seeing my CPN at home to then seeing her at the centre where I now go for CBT.

The journey is mostly fine now too, although initially it was a struggle and I was choking to death all the way there!! I think it is a good idea to practice the journey beforehand if you can, play some music or have the radio on to give yourself something to focus on other than your thoughts.

Good luck with it and let us know how you go on.

Freaky

Erinath
26-03-09, 18:55
I loved the irony of the fact I got dropped from my CBT as I couldn't attend appointments. It was two bus journeys away which included having to change buses in the city centre, I only managed the journey twice. I hadn't appreciated how emotionally raw I would be after the sessions. Hopefully I'll be able to get a car (aka my own portable safe zone) at some point & then I can drive myself there & back.