PDA

View Full Version : dentist appt!!!

leah23
11-03-09, 11:43
Hi I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right section or not but anyway I have a dentist appointment on monday and am due to have two teeth pulled. I suffer with panic/anxiety attacks,which also at one point became agrophobia so I find appointments very hard to get too,I have got to dentists before but only as check up and that was hard enough! Anyway I wondered if anyone else who suffers with panic/anixety attacks has had to have work done at the dentists,who felt they couldnt do it but managed to get it done. Any advice or tips for would be very much appreciated thank you xxx

jm2009
11-03-09, 12:45
yeah I completely sympathise with you here because I get anxious when going to the dentist also. Although I am not an agrophobic I do hate sitting in that waiting room, waiting to be called and the anxiety from the anticipation really is almost unbearable.

i think it is important no matter how anxious you get to just understand that the fear isn't going to hurt you. You may fear pain etc. but you could easily talk to the dentist about this and see what he/she can do about it.

You will inevitably feel anxious because we all do and its ok to feel this way. Don't beat yourself up about it or think 'I'm being silly or stupid' etc. because it is ok to feel this way. if you really can't go because of your nerves don't feel afraid to talk to your dentist personally about the fear or the receptionist at the dentist etc.

Please update me on this and let me know how you get on.

Regards,
James

leah23
11-03-09, 13:43
Thank you for your reply. I know,waiting is sometimes the worse thing cause then I'm constantly thinking bout what I'm going to get done!! which is hard not to when sat in the waiting room LOL. Teeth are causing me alot of problems,sore throat and ears etc so I am needing it doing. I just keep trying to think to myself get it done,dont let the anxiety win and I know I would feel fantastic afterwards for beating the fear and doing it. My daughter,who is 6 has got a dentist appt next week and she is having a tooth pulled while awake and she is not really bothered,said she can put it under her pillow for the tooth fairy that night:D,I think if my 6 year old daughter can be so bloody brave then me being the parent should be able to do it and be setting a good example to her. Fingers crossed I will be posting on monday I HAVE DONE IT!! thank you again for reply,appreciate it x

belle
11-03-09, 17:43
Hi.
I've had numerous teeth pulled most recent being my last remaining wisdom tooth yesterday. I have to admit i am sedated through IV.

I felt NO anxiety going in yesterday in fact they commented that i was the only person to have gone in smiling.

I've had one tooth filled whilst being awake and i was fine.

BamBam
16-03-09, 16:32
A few weeks ago, I had to go to the dentist to have one tooth pulled and then two more appointments for fillings/cleaning etc. I had really worked myself up about it all, despite having no previous fear of dentists before I got my anxiety problems. I was petrified, but I managed to get to all the appointments and get my teeth sorted out. I'd been living with two loose crowns for nearly 3 years and could only eat on one side of my face for all that time - all because of this damned anxiety. Anyway, I'm so glad that I found the courage to get it all done - I felt really fantastic afterwards and elated. Plus, I can eat properly now which is wonderful!! :) Hope it all goes well for you leah23!

leah23
17-03-09, 12:39
Thanks for your replies. I had my dentist appointment yesterday morning. I was feeling very sick and nervous before. wasnt sure I would be able to do it but I did I had two teeth pulled and a filling. My mam came with me she held my hand when having the injections LOL to comfort me,she said I was totally relaxed during it. Couldnt believe I got it done,so glad I got it done as it needed doing!! Also had to think about my partner and daughter as I didnt want to let them down. Did it,Did it. WOO HOO. Anxiety cant win,I win:yahoo:.:D