PDA

View Full Version : racing heartbeats in morning!!

bluegirl09
11-03-09, 11:47
:ohmy: since being on citalopram 20mg i have been very well i got through all the comedy yawning spinning out and increased anxiety and feeling quite rough and now im very well just some mornings well often i am woken up with my heart beating out of my chest its very disconcerting it only lasts a few minutes but it is quite distressing it just races away pounding= i take my meds at night and wondered if anyone else hads suffered this...any comments appreciated thankx

challangerchris
11-03-09, 16:04
I always got told to take my Citalopram in the morning. Have you tried taking them in the morning?

bluegirl09
11-03-09, 20:08
yes i started off taking them in the mornings but because of the side effects i went with taking them at night plus my gp advised it -its just unpleasant its something i can easily cope with i just wondered if anyone else had this particular side-effect

suzy-sue
11-03-09, 20:23
I get this too Katherine ,but its not as bad as it was.I did take Beta blockers for a while and they stopped it,but i had a very bad stomache on them so i stopped. I just relax and take some very deep breaths ,and after abt 10 they have settled down... Try not to be alarmed by them ,as this makes them last longer. All the best sue

andrewc
12-03-09, 00:11
Hi Katherine

Seems like the pounding heart is not caused by the tablets but by the underlining cause which is ANXIETY. As for the Citalopram they recommend for it to be taken in the morning, however 20mg is a very small dose. If the symptoms persist get advice for doc to increase to 30 and then 40mg as this seems to be the dose that works for most people. Dont worry cos it doesnt mean you will get the side effects again when increasing.

Best of luck

Andrew

NoPoet
21-03-09, 11:40
My heart pounds and I get sweaty in the morning since starting citalopram. I realise anxiety is the main cause but citalopram is known for increasing anxiety for the first week or two. Not very nice at all.

My doctor advised me to take them at night. This is an unexpectedly strong drug, I can't believe how quickly it appears to produce side effects. I wouldn't want to increase my dose at this point.