PDA

View Full Version : why am I scared to fall asleep

angel 2
12-03-09, 07:17
I know another thread about sleep, but why am I scared to go to sleep. When I feel myself falling I panic and stop myself, Then I can't go to sleep at all. I have a fear of unconsciousness, not being here, and not being in control but how do I get out of it. I think I must have dozed off about 1am and awake at 3.30am.last night. I'm shattered. BUT the funny thing is I can sleep on the settee in an evening. Awaiting CBT hope that helps.
Anyone else similar?

Adam Thompson
12-03-09, 07:28
just dont the same. i went to bed at 11pm felt fine, really tired, then after 15 mins i was still layed their increasingly anxious, everytimt i went to drop off i panicked, i had chest pains i was scared i was about to have a heart attack if i fell asleep...mustve dropped off about 1, wok at 3 in a fit of terror, dropped off again at 4 got up at 6.

this is becoming common for me now at least 3 or 4 nights a week.

angel 2
12-03-09, 08:16
Hi Adam It's not good is it? I've been like it for 5 months now. I'm not on any meds only diazepam occasionally are you?

Nechtan
12-03-09, 10:42
I used to be the same and still am occassionally. It all depends how active my mind is. The sofa for me is a place I drop off without a problem but bed time can be a real pain lying awake. I read once in a Claire Weekes book that the best thing to do is lie there and listen. Try listening to sounds around about you. I did that and it did seem to help. I don't know why but it did.

Nechtan

angel 2
12-03-09, 13:04
I will try anything Nechtan

purplehaze
12-03-09, 16:21
Hi

There is nothing going to happen to you in your sleep and in fact a good nights sleep is so rewarding. Try not to doze off during the day and keep the bedroom free of tvs etc
Maybe a book will help and try to think of your bed as a place of comfort

lrforge
12-03-09, 16:49
I have started to getting scared to sleep to...I find what helps is that I turn on my tv and turn the volume down or turn the music on. Its helps me focus my attn more to that instead of my thoughts.

patmac
13-03-09, 10:34
i am the same, i am so scared of not wakening up and now i have started to check my children are still ok about 8 times before i can settle down and check that the window is open. i get my partner to talk to me about his work or if i leave the tv on with no volume on it helps,
:scared15:

krog
19-03-09, 19:41
A little 'off-the-wall' suggestion !
When you go to bed, try your best not to go to sleep !!
It works for me when I am in the middle of a particularly anxious period.
I will lie there and just look around the room, maybe pick up a book or even start to write a diary entry.
All of a sudden, a wave of fatigue drops over me and I fall into a deep sleep !
It may not work for everyone, but its worth giving it a try :)

Good luck,
krog.

mandie
19-03-09, 22:46
Hi

I am exactly the same.

I can fall asleep on sofa no problem at nite with tv on, but once im in bed i get scared and panicky.

I to am scared of being unconcious etc.

I started cbt last week so im hoping it will help

love mandie x

tskin
20-03-09, 01:42
I think I'm a similar position at the minute, though I'm more scared of waking up because I always have attacks when I wake up.

Sinatra877
20-03-09, 05:15
I still continue to have trouble falling asleep. I try reading a book and listening to something soft on my Ipod. Sometimes a shot of single malt does the trick too. Not that I'm advocating taking alchohol with prescriptions.

Relax your mind. I over analyze everything to the minute detail. So in essence, I think too much. A Japanese friend of mine once witnessed my distress and we talked. After which he suggested to think Zen, the simplicity of things and it may drift you to a more quality sleep session. Don't think. Relax.

Stephanie
20-03-09, 08:23
I'm awful at the moment. Literally haven't slept for 4 nights. Pregnant and panicking. Convinced I'l lose the baby. Can't even sleep with a sleeping pill. Don't judge me the doctor prescribed them and I actually think I would do something seriously dangerous if I couldn't take soemthing

Zsofi
20-03-09, 21:21
Hello Angel 2,

I had exactly the same problem for many months. When I was about the fall asleep a huge adrenalin wave woke me up every time. Then I got the thought that I shouldn't let myself slip into the unconscious state because I won't wake up OR I will wake up in some terrible place.. :wacko: there we go...
What helped me is a strong imagination of a huge angel (it won't be hard for you I guess :winks:) as he is embracing me with his huge wings and he won't let anything happen to me. I found comfort in this thought (after trying medication and every possible tricks but nothing worked), even though I know it might sound silly. It probably won't help to everyone but the bottom line is to try and find a picture/image/thought that calms you down, gives you safety and comforts you. It will take some time perhaps, so don't give up!
I also found very helpful reading before bedtime and having a warm chamomile tea. Today I don't even try to go to bed without chamomile.

Good luck, you can do it! :yesyes:

Zsofi

angel 2
21-03-09, 07:11
Thanks for all replies I'm going to try Valerian next. Wow! you ought to see my medicine cupboard building up... no room for food !!!!

Raceworx
21-03-09, 13:57
just a quick question but how is your general activity levels.. i find that if im physically tired its much more easyer to fall asleep half an hour of light swiming and a meal plus an active job and im of like a light if i have had a realitivly inactive week and sleep in on a weekend that night is terrible and is exactly as you describe..

angel 2
21-03-09, 16:27
Reply to your question Raceworx I am quite active actually. I go for walks frequently(3xtimes a week) and try to do an hour at least .Swim once a week and generally don't sit still. I'm shattered really.I feel like I've got my choke pulled out ( like on old cars)

Raceworx
22-03-09, 13:06
sounds to me like you need a way of breaking the cycle of thinking about sleeping.. i know that when i think im not going to sleep i will just lay awake worrying im not sleeping..

i find picturing doing yoga in my mind concentraight on nothing but my breathing and arm movments without moving your arms (quite challenging)

once youve broken that mental cycle of thinking about sleep youl be away with the fairys :D

you have to remember aswell youve been sleeping all your life today is no different to anyother day..

ps how did you sleep last night?

angel 2
22-03-09, 15:59
Hi Raceworx didn't sleep well at all last night. went to bed at 11pm went to the loo every half hour dropped off to sleep approx.3am got up at 5am. You are right in what you say about I've been sleeping all of my life, I keep thinking this to myself But this just happened overnight 5 months ago and I don't know why. Crazy ! Lv angel

JavaJoy01
23-03-09, 00:13
I suffered from Insomonia when anxeity first hit me. I remeber sitting in the doctors office crying and begging for something to help me sleep. He gave me xannx which helps out big time. What I also do is have honey and tea and sleep with a sound machine. I usually have it on thunder storm or ocean. It took a while but I eventually relaxed and now I sleep better then I have in a while. I still have sleepless nights every now and then.

I think for me it's the fear of dying in my sleep and not getting to see my loved ones one last time.

Also I wanted to add. When this started the only way I could relax was to sleep on the couch. Till it passed I stayed on the couch so I would not associate the anxeity and no sleep with the bed. Could it be that you are now associate your bed with your fear?

cheskia
23-03-09, 02:38
i am the same i am so sacred of it. But what is a cbt may i ask Xxx

angel 2
23-03-09, 06:41
I think your'e right Javajoy about bed now being fearful but I will have to try and correct my may of thinking .That is what a CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapist) does Cheskia , tries to alter your way of thinking back to normal and how to deal with anxieties and worries.

aveeava
23-03-09, 09:54
i totally understand the feeling hope you find something that works for you sometimes putting the tv on even with no sound helps me out a lot

Dahlia
23-03-09, 14:15
I have this from time to time, when my anxiety is really high. The sofa feels 'safe', but the bed doesn't. If I do go to bed, I have the TV on low volume, and surround myself with books and magazines in order to distract myself. I can get really tired but the anxious feeling won't let me sleep.

I don't know the reason why I get like this - I'm guessing it's something to do with being in bed and essentially being alone and 'cut off' (if that makes sense). If you sleep on the sofa you haven't 'officially' gone to bed, you're in a place that is associated with wakefulness and activity. So you are 'snoozing', rather than committing yourself to full sleep.

Dahlia

angel 2
23-03-09, 14:52
Exactly Dahlia Hit it on the head