PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks in...

Juppster
12-03-09, 08:26
...and im feeling worse than ever! Good god do i feel bad...depression is worse than ever, anxiety is worse than ever......i just don't know whether to carry on with the fluoxetine or not...i know i felt bad before i took it but never this bad.....do you think its worth perservering...i know 2 weeks isnt a long time to try something but i feel truely awful....any comments would be very much appreciated :scared15:

Kitty1
13-03-09, 00:48
Hi Juppster,

Just read your post and thought I would share my experience of fluoxetine with you as about 4weeks ago I was in exactly the same position as you. Ive suffered from panic attacks on and off for the past 10 years but seem to have a really bad bout of them all at once and then they pass and I dont have them for years. The most recent time was at the end of January and I started taking fluoxetine then. I have taken it before but not since 2002 which is when I had my last bout of panic attacks. Like you I was thinking "Will it ever start to work???". It has done in the past for me but you always have the doubt in your mind that this time it wont and as it had been 7 years since my last bout I was terrified that fluoxetine would not work for me this time and I would be suffering with them forever. The first 4 weeks were absolutely horrendous. I hardly slept, couldnt eat and dropped over a stone, had the shakes, twitches, dry mouth and my anxiety was through the roof. How I managed to get myself up and into work god only knows. I spent most of my time at work looking on this site and reading other peoples experiences which was a great help if Im honest. And you know what, after about halfway through the 4th week the mornings became easier, the anxiety slowly subsided and in the last week I have started to sleep through the night again, my appetite has come back and its like a light has been switched on inside my brain (if that makes sense). The thing with fluoxetine is that it makes you worse before it makes you better. So my advice is to hang in there and give it another few weeks and see how you go. I too was thinking "when will this work" from the minute I woke up to the minute my head hit the pillow and it is absolute hell but Id say after 6 weeks if you dont see any improvement go back to your GP. Also I took Aconite 30c and Rescue Remedy to help with the side effects of fluoxetine for the first 5 weeks(both available at Boots and homeopathic so they shouldnt mess with the fluoxetine). I havent felt the need for these this last week which tells me i must be getting there!!!! Also, I cut out all caffeine and made sure I never took the tablets on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I know how difficult a time this must be for you as this time last month I was thinking "God I hope I feel better this time next month" and you know what - I do and I never thought I would. Im not 100% yet but definately 100% better than I was last month and I really hope its the same for you and you see an improvement soon :)

Juppster
13-03-09, 08:37
Thank you so much for your reply kity1....it really helps to know im not alone. I spoke to my doctor yesterday who said to try and persevere for the next week or so and see how i go.....i think i know in the back of my mind that it will get better but first thing in the morning is just hell at the moment... my heart feels like its going to burst through my chest at any minute :ohmy: !! and like you...going to work is very hard although i am self-employed which makes it a little easier...i also have a 2 year old son to look after as well which makes it harder....still.....i live in hope and i will keep you updated....thank you so much again for your kind reply...i hope you continue to go from strength to strength :yesyes: Jo

brokenbabe
13-03-09, 09:01
hi there! ive been put on citalopram another type of anti depressant over a week ago! at 1st they made me feel worse with dry mouth, but they are starting to make me feel less anxious now. All anti depressants take time to get into your system, about 2 weeks i think and can make you feel worse at 1st. I know that 2 weeks isnt long, but when your depressed every hour is a nightmare! keep taking your tablets and see how you go, if they dont make you feel any better then talk to your doctor as they may not suit you, everyone is different! hope you feel better soon xxx

Cat80
16-03-09, 09:59
Hiya juppster, I know just how you feel. I'm only a week in and feel awful. Anxiety is terrible, feel sick, achy, so tired, brain fog etc. Can't even leave the house at the moment, don't even know how I'm going to get to the Dr's on Friday for my follow up appointment.

Juppster
16-03-09, 11:19
Hi Cato80

I too like you felt really tired, sick, terrible anxiety for the first few weeks...im glad to say that they have eased a little but not gone completely...i am really having to push myself to go out but i have a little boy of 2 which spurs me on!! as i know that staying at home is the worst thing for me...but definitely the easier option!! My depression is worse than ever at the moment though which is something that i am hoping will start to get better over the next few weeks...i will have been taking fluox for 3 weeks on Thursday.....i hope you feel able to visit the doctor on Friday :flowers:

Cat80
16-03-09, 12:08
Thanks Juppster. I hope I start to feel the benefits soon too and I will drag myself to the Dr's on Friday, only a 10 minute walk away.

I really hope your depression starts to lift soon as well, not a nice thing at all (going through it myself). Sending you a big hug (((((hug)))))

kitttykat
02-04-09, 17:05
I'm 6 months in and experienced like you the really bad side effects and had major panic attacks as well as increased depression. It does lift and is well worth getting through the side effects, I think that I had them all (well that's what it feels like) but just gradually you do start to feel like a human being again and I now know what I think a normal person feels like (I have suffered from major depression for as long as I can remember).

jacks 6
08-04-09, 16:19
hi
Ive just had to come off this medication after only one week, didnt realise how bad it can make you feel, i had high hopes that this would work for me but turns out i am sensitive to ssris, i have read good things with this so stick with it if side effects are bareable.
jackie

tracy12
16-07-09, 08:15
Hi Just started taking fluox and its great to read other storys, im 9 days in and feel worse than befor but im sticking to it.

tj0121
19-07-09, 12:46
first day on fluoxetine today for me! feelng pretty bad already, totally didn't expect to feel anything this early! I was on sertraline for years, was great but recently didn't seem to be working as well so my psych put me on venlafaxine(or the hell drug as it is now known in my house), that was awful, so they changed my to fluoxetine, today being my first day.

I am really scared, even my psych told me to be prepared for a few really rough weeks when i changed onto fluoxetine, but reading your stories had helped, as at least i am not alone. I would say try and stick with it guys, i remember when i started sertraline years ago, for the first month i was very unwell, but then it worked and it helped me no end, in fact, sertraline was the reason i could function for the past 15 years. I hope you all find fluoxetine works for you in the long run, hell i hope it works for me too in the long run.

tracy12
20-07-09, 23:38
Hi tj0121, well im now on day 13 still dont feel great but not as bad as the last 12 days, hang in there and ill keep you posted on the days ahead.
after reading other posts fluox takes a while to work, (i was hoping for an instant fix lol), try not to plan anything for a couple of weeks i made the mistake in going away for a couple of days and totaly freeked out and had to come home.
let me know how you go
xx:shrug:

tracy12
25-07-09, 00:46
day 18 and felt shaky this morning but as the day is going on im feeling a little better. still hanging in there :scared15:

Catya
04-08-09, 22:06
Oh dear. I'm on day 8 and the palpitations are terrible. I hope there is some respite soon.

tracy12
05-08-09, 05:24
hang in there it gets worse before it getss better im nearly day 30 and only now is it getting better today was a bit agatating but i have found i am coping better

medsec27
06-08-09, 20:03
It's good to hear other people's experiences. I am on day 27 today and thought I was doing really well, but today felt really fidgety, tired and anxious and palpitations came back. Obviously, it's going to take longer that I thought for it to work on the anxiety side. Feel lot brighter in myself - of course tiredness could be down to being nearly 33 wks pregnant :blush: . So easy to put everything down to panic isn't it?