PDA

View Full Version : Getting to CBT when youve got agoraphobia??

nikkinik
12-03-09, 21:44
Im pretty desperate for some advice etc (anything positive really!) on how I get to CBT when Ive got agoraphobia..

Does anyone who suffers with agoraphobia attend CBT?? Can you tell me how you cope/do it?

ATM my agoraphobia isnt great.. Im putting off just going to the post office and local shop for food.. Ive had 2 big PA's both times I went out further than normal last week (they were still places Ive been often before), I think the major contributing factor is always not feeling 100% to begin with - feeling utterly exhuasted, so I go out and worry I'll drop - setting off a PA.

So I just dont know how Im going to drive the 15 odd miles to my CBT appointment. I have no one who can drive me, so I will be panicing in the car, which isnt a great experience as I always feel light headed, sickly and dizzy.. I will feel totally sick just being there.

I dont know how I'll do it, but yet its kind of my only hope (GP knows anti d's have done nothing for me, plus they dont agree with me and my tender stomach) so I have to stick at it.

Any help/tips/advice/sucess stories would be good, thank you. :)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

belle
12-03-09, 23:35
I get home visits :)

x

nomorepanic
13-03-09, 09:29
I decided that I needed the CBT so I had to drive there regardless of how I felt so I did. I figured she would calm me down once I got there if I needed it!

If you want to do something enough you find the strength to do it and I did that cos I was desperate for help.

duskess
13-03-09, 10:54
hello nickinik, maybe you could ring or write to your cbt therapist explaining how you feel and and they might offer an alternative , i could not leave my home and my therapist visited me eventually i went to her and she waited outside for me coming , gradually i managed to go inside without her awaiting for me , i felt really good after each visit to her , it really is worth it you gain more confidence well i did , while doing what she was encouring me to do we then met in a major store department unknowingly we smiled and had a good chat , when i felt i needed this help , never in my imagination did i think this was at all possible and all along it was for me , i wish you the best and hope you manage to sort sometime out it really does help good luck dusky x

honeybee3939
13-03-09, 11:14
Hi

I know what its like to suffer with Agorophobia i had it for many years. My thoughts about it now are so different though. I look back at the times when i was at my worst and all those negative thoughts i used to have, "i cant" "i wont" " i will pass out" " i will be sick!" all these thoughts are so negative and are the cause of anxiety, making seneros about venturing places before we have even set foot out the door of course making us think the worse will happen!:ohmy:
I always remember a therapist saying to me, if i took you into the country side in my car and dropped you off in the middle of know where what would you do? would you just stay there and die! Or would you walk and find a way home ! No one as ever died or starved to death becuase of Agorophobia because im a big believer if it really comes to a siituation where you have to do something thats nessassary you will do it.:)

Nikk what im trying to say is try and think more positive about things, try and look forward to your CBT knowing it will help you is a real positive thing. Try and get some support to help you get there.
Try telling yourself been out of the house is no different from been indoors, if your not feeling sick in the house why should you feel sick and dizzy outside. Its all in your mind hun. Nothing will happen to you i promise you that i have been in your sittuation myself and im still alive and kicking:) .

Good luck with everything, i truely hope you make the appointment
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

nikkinik
15-03-09, 17:35
Thanks everyone :)

Andrea youre right, I should be more positive.. I dont think Ive ever been a positive person though (which is probably a contributing factor to my situation right now!).
I think my negativity about CBT has come from hearing a few people say it didnt work for them and that all was left was medication.. Ive been down the medication route and nothing worked really.. So then I started worrying that if CBT didnt work for me Id be in the sh*t and stuck in this hell forever! Drastic thinking I know!

I also have worse symptoms now than what I presented at my ititial CBT appointment.. extremely fatigued, stifness, aching joints, my legs tremble through weakness (Ive def not been anxious at these times), so Im guessing its all taking its toll on my body.. so while that makes me even more desperate for help, it also makes it harder for me to get the energy to do anything really.. and added to that it takes ages to recover from PA's now, and I know CBT will put me in the thick of it!

..there I go again, worrying!!

Thanks again, it helps to hear about ppls positive stories :)

honeybee3939
15-03-09, 18:05
Nikk

Yes your right hun, anxiety does take it out of our bodies too, i remember it so well, i used to find walking up the stairs a challenge i used to be shattered walking up them. I had spent a few year trapped in my home, no exercise or fitness rigime. i felt like i was 90 and was only in my early 40,s!:ohmy:
Exercise really does help, i joined a local walking group when i was recovering and it made me feel so much fitter and better within myself. A couple of months ago i felt like i was having a relapse i was struggling getting out and about again but i also realised i hadnt been doing much exercise so i went to Argos and bought a little peddling machine, it was only £10 and while i watch tele sat im my comfy chair i peddle away.lol it really helps. Piglet also recommended i buy a little trampoline, she says its great for exercise, she bounces away at home while listen to music. :) she says thats great for exercise too !:)

Im sure Nick once you start feeling more positive and try a little exercise things with improve for you hun!
If i can do it so can you my friend!

Love and hugs
:hugs: :hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

Anna C
15-03-09, 18:49
Hi,

I was feeling desperate when I first went to CBT, as I didn't know what else to do. I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and I felt scared of almost everything!
Cbt is helping, when I first went I used to go to the reception desk and I couldn't even look in the waiting room because I was so scared of how many people would be there.
Andrea is right when she says nothing will happen to you, and your counsellor will help you to realise this and will support you. Cbt is helping me and I'm sure it will help you too.:) Try not to worry, anxiety does take it out of you, and tires you out leaving you exhausted, but you will get there!!

Good luck Anna x