PDA

View Full Version : Couldnt face going away

sMINT
13-03-09, 11:04
Ive always been ruled by panic but never has it stopped me doing something.

Ive been to London many times whilst suffering and got through it even though it was hell. Ive been to night clubs. Ive been to friends parties. Not once have I let panic get the better of me.

Today though I was meant to go away for 4 days to a music festival but couldn't face it. I let panic win.

I honestly cant believe Im sat here in the house. I feel like such a let down. You often hear teenages complaining they hate their lives. Well I REALLY REALLY HATE mine. Panic is RUINING it. Im 18. I should be out with friends enjoying myself.

I just couldnt face this trip as my panic attacks (I dunno if anyone feels the same as me when they get them) last not for only a few minutes but from the time I leave my hosue to the time I am back home. When I went to London previously I had an attack on the train up from 10am all the way through the day, couldnt eat at night, hardly slept, carrie don till the morning. Got REALLY bad on the train home the next day. And it only subsided when I was back in my house over 24 hours later.

Ive wasted in total £155 on this weekend break. Im going to the doctors Tuesday anyway so I really really hope he can do something for me as Im about to loose all faith in ever getting better. I mean I have tried every single form of technique in trying to deal with and overcome panic attacks. My only option left is to try and get on a CBT course, Hypnotheropy or give in to my avoidence of medication :weep:

rocklover
13-03-09, 13:42
I understand completely how disappointed you are, but please do not beat yourself up and do not give up hope. You should definitely try CBT, I am having some sessions right now, and although I am far from cured it is really, really helping.

I have gone from having a PA every time I am going to my bf's house, to having none, I am able to control my panic much more efficiently. I have been given "tasks" by my therapist that I just could not even have considered a few months ago. I am still anxious, but I am having more good days than bad.

I will say though that CBT is not easy, it has hard work and you really have to input alot and make the effort. You also have to talk about and do things that make you uncomforatble, but it really is worthwhile as it changes the way you think and that really is the key. If you want an insight into it before booking any sessions, I would recommend you buy CBT For Dummies, it really is helpful and it will give you a good idea of how CBT works.

Be kind to yourself mate and good luck.

sMINT
13-03-09, 13:49
Thanks for the reply.
It sounds like CBT could be the hope I need. I actually have that book but, ashamed I must say, I haven't yet read it lol. I will try and make a start on it later though.

Should take my mind of not going away.

Thanks

sue681
13-03-09, 14:17
That's a shame but totally understand,my panic attacks are that bad ive been to casualty 3 times,if i get anxious about a night etc i cancel as scared of panic attack
each day when i go out all i want to do is get back home but then i'm depressed being in my home.

Ive not started any meds yet as i'm tryin to conquer this without

I take omega 3,6,9 capsules
vit b complex
and 5-htp (150 mg a day) i think this is really working as not had panic attack since starting them 5weeks ago and my anxieties lessened and no horrible side effects !

i also bought the CBT book for dummies and have read a few chapters