PDA

View Full Version : Help me please

sharona
14-03-09, 07:32
Hi
I am worried about how I feel at the moment. I recently stated having what I think are panic attatcks, which are very frightening. I have all the symptoms such as fear that i am going to pass out e.t.c, but I also get an awful pressure around my head and eyes and it is frightening me, this has only been happening for the past 2 weeks. I went to work on Wednesday this week and had to attend a 1 day course in the same building. As soon as I sat down I knew it was going to be a bad day as the room had no windows in and no air. I tried my hardest to stay in there but after dinner I totally freaked out, I had to be taken home so I went straight to casualty. I told them about the pressure around my head and how dizzy I felt but, after waiting for 4 hours the doctor told me to go home and go and talk to my GP about it!!!!!!!! This made things worse. I went to my GP who told me she thinks I am depressed and put me on citalopram 10m, I am already on antenelol for palpataions 25mg.I started to take citalopram yesterday, omg what are these side effects?, the hot and cold flushes, the pressure in head and the feeling that I am going to pass out. They even woke me in the night, I feel awful. Does anyne else have the same feelings or symptoms? I am so scared, do I carry on with them? I am sorry to go on a bit but I am really freaked out at the moment. What is the best time to take these tabs?

I look forward to your replies please.

Sharon

angel 2
14-03-09, 07:51
Hi Sharon, you really are having a bad time. I also worry about taking tablets but it doesn't help your anxiety.You imagine everything is happening to you and it is very frightening. I have had anxiety attacks 3xtimes since 1999 and don't take medication anymore (it never suited me) but it does help alot of people.You can try and see, but if you're not happy with them then come off because that will not do you any good either.There are alternatives out there.Try deep breathing that helps. I try and control my panic instead of vice versa it's hard but as long as you know that's whats causing it you may find it easier. Don't be scared ther's alot of us out there.
lv angel

mandie
14-03-09, 10:05
Hi Shraron

When i was put on citalopram, i had the worse panic attack and felt worse than before i started them. My dr assured me this was normal when u first start the meds and to stick with them

After a few weeks the side effects wore off and i started to feel better.

If i was u then i would stick with the meds for a bit longer, they need to get into yr system

love mandie x

bishops
14-03-09, 10:45
HI Shraron. Stick with the meds , but if you really hate them tell ur docthey can try different things. I sometimes have prozac which helps as the side effects are very little and it works forme. This forum is great and willhelp you when you need help.

samc100
14-03-09, 11:14
hi - I took the same dose that you are on and I had side effects but fir me my attacks were so similiar it was hard to tell what was what. It took me about 10 days for the effects to begin to subside. My Partner could see an improvement in me after a fortnight. Took me longer !

I would give the meds a go as you can't continue with how things have been going. Meds do not cure but they can help to calm you down enough so you can get a grasp of your life and deal with it and repair yourself.

Take it very easy for the next week xxx

Forrest Gump
14-03-09, 12:44
Hi Sharon, it can take up to six weeks for the Citalopram to reach their full effect. For me it took about a month and it can be sooner, but be patient. In the beginning your symptoms might also get worse, but try to be strong and hold on, it will get better. I've been on these meds a couple of times, and the first month is always the worst for me, even worse than before. But it always gets better. In some cases though, you might not get the desired effect and will have to try another anti depressant, as it's hard to tell without trying which one suits you specifically. The first time I got anti depressants, I had to try two different ones before ending up with Citalopram that worked well for me. It was discouraging to go through, but there are rarely any shortcuts to getting better, and if there is, it often has a major downside. Meds like Citalopram have very few side effects (ones the body has got used to the meds) so I would advice them to anyone that needs them.

Just make sure to check with your doctor that the two medicines that you are taking now does not affect one another, so that your anxiety does not get worse.

I hope you get better soon! Hang in there and don't be discouraged if you get really depressed in the beginning, it will pass and get better. All the best.

nosydeadkitty
14-03-09, 14:09
Hi Sharon
You could try a natural tablet remedy..just somthing to help you relax and calm down
ive been taking them occasionaly...not every day..jut when i feel anxiouse and they really do work
Kitty

xfilme
15-03-09, 12:21
Hi Sharon,

I was on Citalopram 100mg for two years. The side effects are plentiful when you begin. They tend to increase your anxiety until your body adjusts, then they diminish your anxiety. Unfortunately for me, I kept needing stronger doses every 6 months as they would work... then one day just stop. Hence me ending on such a high dose. One day I just had enough. I stopped them all... including the betablockers I was taking and instead insisted on being given counselling. Ive never been back on them since.

For me, the side effects of being on them were as bad as the symptoms of anxiety/depression from being off them. So I figuerd I was better off without. Its a personal choice thing. You are one a very low dose, so its really up to you. If your problems are only occasional, you may be able to get by with simply reading self help books to understand anxiety and how to keep calm. Have you ever tried the Emotional Freedom Technique? Here is the link to it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmz-b2sV0Q&feature=PlayList&p=77D5B496272F4D4A&index=5

I know you probably wont even give it a go, but it is so effective that it helped me when my mum died and helped me deal with the situation. The best thing about it, is its immediate. You could try it in the next five minutes and see if it works for you. You might feel a little silly at first, but millions of people use it and I can say from experience it works. Let me know how you get on x

sharona
15-03-09, 14:33
Thank you, its great having someone to share your feelings with

Sharon x

sharona
15-03-09, 14:36
Thanks everyone, all your replies have been a great help. I am going to stick with hem for a month, then I have to go back to my doctors so I will let you all know.
Thank you xxxxxx

PoppyC
15-03-09, 15:15
Hi
I am on the same medication but for me there are hardly any side effects. I had side effects off 5-HTP. Side effects are different for everyone and some people get more and others dont. Also the amounts you start on, affects the side effects, apparently according to my doctor it is far better to start on 10mg and over the weeks build it up gradually so as to avoid the side effects. I hope it all gets resolved for you.

sharona
15-03-09, 16:09
Thank you, I will try to tkeep taking them.

Sharon:)