PDA

View Full Version : Suriphobia (fear of mice)

KellyGray
21-12-03, 20:00
Hello, I'm new to this message board and I have just realized that I have fear of mice since somehow they have gotten into my house. Even typing this makes me shake. I called an exterminator, and he said it would take about 2 weeks to get rid of the problem, However, its been longer than 2 weeks and it ( they ) are still very much alive. I was wondering how, if anyone else has this problem, how do you cope with it? Because I am certaintly not dealing very well to say the least.my email is evian1@hotmail if someone could get back to me. I'll keep checking this message board also. Thank- you!

nomorepanic
21-12-03, 20:30
Hi Kelly

Sorry to hear that - I know phobias are hard to deal with. I am not afraid of mice so I cannot relate to it but I have other fears/phobias and the feelings are all the same.

My cats make sure we don't have any mice!!

Have you tried any mouse traps - either the ones that kill or the humane ones.

My sister recently was plagued by mice and they chew everything as well don't they.

I do hope you can get rid of them soon cos it must be very stressful having them running around if you are afraid of them.

Hopefully someone else will post on here too!

Nicola

sadie
21-12-03, 20:41
Hi Kelly

Like Nicola, I dont have a fear of mice but I do have a fear of spiders..so maybe I can relate a bit to how you must be feeling!

I have seen me frozen on the spot completely if there is a spider in the room. I can never go to sleep if there is a spider in my bedroom. I check under the bed, under the covers and pillows every night before I can go in it.

I know people can overcome their fears by holding a spider in their hand but the thought of doing that just sends me into a panic...

I now can cope with really small spiders but thats taken me 29yrs to do that...

I think everyone has some form of fear..whether it be spiders, wasps, cats, dogs, birds, mice...the list could go on and on.

When did your fear of mice begin?

Did something happen in your past which has caused your phobia?

Have you spoken to your GP to see if they can offer some sort of professional help to help with your phobia?

Keep in touch..

sadie

KellyGray
21-12-03, 20:42
Hi Nicola,
Thaks for your reply. The exterminator set poison bait all over the place but instead of them dying, they seem to be thriving. That could be my imagination though. I'm not quite hysterical after I have had a few drinks but I don't want to turn into an alkie just because I'm afraid to go in other rooms without having my husband checking to see if they are running around. (Just that thought makes me sick)

KellyGray
21-12-03, 20:49
Hi Sadie,
I think the fear began once they took up residence in my house. The chewing in the walls, the never knowing where they are, the running in front of me etc etc. I am constantly looking around, always listening for the chewing. Ever since they moved in I have not had a moments peace. BTW, I hate spiders too but my can of Raid spider blaster is never too far away.
BTW, thanks for you reply also

sadie
21-12-03, 20:57
Hi Kelly

I know it must be really difficult for you to try and not be frightened of them..esp. when you fear them so much. However, try and think positively about the situation..you have organised for someone to clear any mice out from your home, the mice will not harm you..you are so much more bigger than they are and there probably is not as many as you think there is.

I dont know if this has helped you any as I know what I can be like if I see a big spider or a wasp, another fear of mine.

If you deal feel anxious though, do some deep breathing and think some positive thoughts and your anxiety will pass a lot quicker.

let us know how you are getting on..

sadie

KellyGray
22-12-03, 02:44
I just feel the need to vent all this for some reason. Where better than on a message board since maybe someone else has a solution to my delimma.I used to live in Texas and we had those little geckos running all over the place. Didn't phase me in the least.This mice thing is really ruining my peace of mind, my sanity.I'm 45..could this be a pre menopausal hormone thing ? Always curious to know if its physical or all in my head . Logically, I know its an irrational fear, on the other hand I tell other people about this and I wonder to myself how they CANNOT be afraid of vermin living in their house.
I have been to several doctors and they have their perscription pad in hand before I even walk in the door. And that infuriates me.
I used to have gerbils and hamsters and the like along time ago but of course they were in a cage. I'm even getting on my own nerves.
Well, thanks for letting me vent.I think the only thing that will restore my peace of mind is knowing that they dead.And I'll never know if they are (unless, of course I actually see them dead)
Thanks again, and to anyone else who had this debilitating fear and overcame it, your input will help me . I'll try anything within reason..now thats funny coming from someone with an unreasonable fear.

tomspy77
10-02-11, 16:43
First of all greeting as this my first post and thanks for having me.

I have panic disorder and have some phobias such as driving, storms and now mice in my house.

I have been living a nightmare the last four days.

We found we had mice after hearing scratches in the wall and my girl seeing one while I was at work. The mice came by the way the samwe day she lost her job.

Then I saw one a day or so later and that freaked me out. We put peppermint oil round the house and got snake poop from a pet store I get my bird supplies from.
Then we relaxed and things went back to almost normal...then we were sitting up watching TV and another one went by right where I do my writing.

So that was it.
I'm sorry, there is so much more but I'm so tired and drained emtionally and physically. I am dealing with this at the same time as my ortho arthritis I just found out in Dec that I have on top of my varicose veins and edma in both legs.

Plus our lease is almost up and the same cheap landlord who refuses to help with the mice says we never paid a security deposit a few years ago, plus we are tryinf to move to Texas in the Spring and that is stress too.

I might post gain to tell more of my story from work as I'm on my phone, just tired of being afraid and hiding in my bedroom when I'm home at night and not getting anything done, them terrorizing my birds and me feeling like I'm losing my mind.

Thank you in advance and apologies ahead of time if I double post...

loveletter
10-02-11, 22:19
I am so scared of mice.
Had them in the house I used to live in and run out screaming 1 day when I sew 1 and would not go home for two days.
Months later I was in bed and heard rustling in a bag in the bedroom I know it was a mouse.
I slept down stairs for 2 weeks and was convinced I would see a mouse again.
Every time I went in the kitchen thought 1 might run over my foot.
It got so bad and was making me ill my mate told me to get a cat.
Thing was I had a phobia over cats and could not ever think of being left in a room on my own with a cat.
The mouse phobia was much much worse though so got a kitten first few weeks where terrible could not be left alone with the kitten.
A couple of months later got really used to this cat and really loved her.
I still have her now 8 years on and a ginger boy as totally got over my phobia.
I love cats they come to bed with me and dont think I will ever be without a cat.
Have never seen a mouse since I got a cat apart from once when cat brought a dead one in the house

Anxious_gal
11-02-11, 02:35
well I had mice in my walls/air vents.
They couldn't actually get into the house once I found the hole and blocked it up.
Then I had rats lol, they lived in the attick, they never came into the rest of the house.
I just found the hole in the roof and got it fixed too.
end of problem :)

Just saying if you can find where or how they are getting into the house and block it off it would stop them coming back.

tomspy77
11-02-11, 03:02
Loveletter:

Yeah my step daughter is allergic and so I can't have a kitty, I love cats but its impossible.
But cats are great are they not? Glad you got over that one as they are great friends to have at times...

Mishel, my land lord has no interest in doing that at all. I read a lot of sites on house mice (something I don't think is hould do with my phobias, I do the same thing with radar and weather reports online when there's a storm, sometimes it makes it worse.) And I told the landlord he needs find out how they are getting in so we can plug the holes.

But he's old and has no help and refuses to hired help...

Sigh soon I will be homw for work after ten at night here in the us and then I have to go hide in my bedroom till daylight leaveing my feathered friends alone with the vermin!

I contacted a exterminator and he said to pre bait for three nights then set traps.
So I bought thirty dollars in traps and he said to bait with what they have been eating, the bird food.
So sat they might get killed but then you have to deal with corpses, but that is better then the fear, stress and anxiety... :)

tomspy77
12-02-11, 07:01
Sorry for the double post and at thr risk of looking like I'm talking to myself I just have to say that all this stuff going on right now and especially the mice are really getting to me.

Today my girls was cleaning out a closet she found a new mouse hole and plugged it with steel wool. This is what you are supossed to do and I'm sure there are other holes but now I can't stop thinking that they are going to gnaw and scratch at the walls of our bedroom and get in here.

I am afrqaid tonight (In my neck of the woods its going on one AM), is going to be like that night I did not sleep. The heater makes clicking sounds and this is an old building so there are always noises but I am now jumpy at every sound and I hope I sleep before dawn, even when I did sleep last night I was awake at any sound.

This and all the other stress are driving me nuts...like just now I felt movement by my leg and jumped.

We can't find a place to do a six month lease to fit our needs and not sure when this will end for me.
I feel so silly being so afraid at my age and everything but I think this is driving me nuts.

Anybody got ant advice, techniques or help for me to get through this?

I should note my fear is not so much of mice as the fact they are wild and runnign in my house in the dark.

Anxious_gal
12-02-11, 07:53
I think you can break tbe lease due to the fact its unlivable , dangerous, the landloard is at fault here. Is there any where you can go or contact for free advice???

tomspy77
14-02-11, 06:11
Oh, our lease is up at the 28th of the month, the problem is we need a six month lease due to the fact we want to move out of state and cannot yet due to legal matters.
So we need a six month lease and no one does that due to a year being better for the land lords and the economy.

As for the mice, my girl
Found a hole in the closet with a lot of feces and stolen seed in the area...plugged it up with steel wool and then as the exterminator I've been talking to vis email (ask the extrminator.com) suggested, after three days of prebaiting we set the traps this past Saturday night and cam home Sunday to find no takers.

Also threw down some poison blocks in some areas the kids can't get to...hopefully this ends soon, I'm still not comfortable here at night and tonight I was on the (excuse me.) Toliet and swear that I saw one running across the floor.
So that freaks me out too, that the fear is that deep that I'm seeing things.

LakinDenae
08-07-11, 05:56
Hello. I have this exact same fear and I feel your pain. I actually found this by googling "how to stop fear of mice". I have somehow developed this fear as I have turned into an adult. I don't know how I got it, but I think it is when an entire family of mice made my house their own and you could not go to any room without hearing one besides the bathroom. I used to just go in there and sit on the floor crying. I don't understand why I am so afraid, but I am.

After we poisoned that family and they were gone, I slowly started to recover, then a few months later I seen another one. Now it was just one, but because of the other family I freaked out. I am one of those people that just screams my lungs out and cries and cries. I shake, I freeze, I can't move. I am only 18 and I got this fear maybe, last year? The year before that? I don't know. I live with my grandparents, who have no fears at all. So my grandma has a bad habit of just leaving out food she has prepared of the day time to clean the next day. I would clean it up, but it just being there makes me feel like mice are, I don't know, IN THE POT or something, so I can't. I knew this was coming because of her habit. But I didn't think a mouse would be in MY room. I just redone it less than a month ago. So there is no food in here, no sugar.

Yes I drink pop during the day, but it is diet, and sugar free and I dispose of it when I am finished, and I do not spill it. But I just now seen a mouse go from my closet, to a hole in a corner of my room. So I suppose now my room is its passage to the kitchen. I am freaking out, I can't stop crying and all my grandpa does is get made at me for being afraid and tell me they won't hurt me. I can't explain how, they are just terrifying. I understand everything you guys are saying about their sounds. They used to chew through plastic bags and even though it was a small sound, it was so scary for me. The thing I think I am most afraid of is the disgusting tails. They are so long and to think that that tail just drug itself across my room makes me shake.

tomspy77
12-01-12, 02:00
I am so sorry someone treats your phobia like that, my girl can be the same at times, but she at least tries, but it is not right if you have a phobia.

For me it has started again, we moved to Texas on the Gulf Coast after living in an aprtment we moved to to escape the last batch I wrote about before and we have both roaches and mice here after they cut down a field next to us and they all moved in.

Like the last landlord this complex does not take it seriously and it seems like I will not be able to break my lease by law here and they are doing it all wrong, just caulking things and all.

I saw the first one Satuday and as soon as the sun goes down I get anxious and scared and want to leave.

We have caught three in two days with glue traps and the guys came in and caulk (stupid, they can chew through it) and put boards up but I am sitting here right now afraid as my kids watch a movie.

The roaches were bad but I am horriblely scared and sick of these things.

Funny thing I don't get is why I am afraid of the mice running but not when they are on the glue boards. (Although I don't want to pick them up.)

I feel so silly and weird again but again I can't live like this this is too much.

Anybody else got any ideas??

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Just found this page, which at least makes me realize my thoughts of why I am afraid is not nutty, that I'm afraid of how they run and the sounds they make...
http://fear-and-phobias.org.uk/phobia-fear-of-mice.htm

Anyway, any other advice or support would be great, thanks!