PDA

View Full Version : New job dialema

shortstuff
14-03-09, 10:00
I've been offered a new job which is great, but, as is usual, it is conditional on CRB and Health clearance. Since the end of January, I have been feeling like the old me - I am now able to go to the supermarket, cope with noise, I've even ate out!!! My HAD scores have fallen both gradually and, more recently, dramatically, from 18-19 to 3!!

What do I put on my health questionnaire? I know that disclosure of anxiety will prompt an Occ Health interview (the new job is 130 miles away!). I want to be honest yet at the same time I'm really worried that the job offer may be withdrawn.

Any advice???

kenboon
14-03-09, 12:53
I feel it's probably best to be as honest as possible. Employers really value honesty, but at the same time i can understand your fears. It's quite a dilemma :shrug:

kenboon
14-03-09, 12:54
Forgot to add. Well done for getting back on your feet :) It sounds like you have taken the illness by the scruff of the neck and shown it whos boss :)

susan c
14-03-09, 14:06
Definately a huge well done is deserved for getting as far as you have. I have to agree though that honesty is the best policy. Through my treatment I have been taught that it is best to tell people. I can understand your worries but even if you do say about it, they will see how far you have come.

Congrats on your new job too.

Good luck

Susan
xx

shortstuff
15-03-09, 00:06
Thanks everyone. I looked at the form again and I had to state absences from work AND reasons over the last 2 years. This information is held in the school SIMS data so I had to be honest. Miraculously, I've only had 2 absences for anxiety, once of 4 days and the other 3.

shortstuff
22-03-09, 22:22
Just had a friend on the phone who thinks I'm being selfish and unfair to my new employer for having not mentioned that I have been ill this last year with panic and agoraphobia. Thing is I've had very little time off work, and have fulfilled my role with only minor adaptations.

As I said earlier, I have been so much better since mid-January and I KNOW I am over the worst. I can even go into supermarkets at busy times without panic - I don't like it, but I can do it.

Anyway, I got to thinking about my friend's perception and I'm trying to work out if she has a point. On one hand, if I do have a relapse due to the stress of starting a new job etc, it would look pretty bad. On the other hand, when exactly was I meant to slip in the fact that I have suffered panic disorder during the interview. To come out with a statement like that would all but guarantee failure at interview - which would have made it a futile experience!

What do you think??

Nicola_lou
23-03-09, 00:55
I never really thought about that new job, but surely they can't put this
Against u. I would go for it u feel loads better and really well done.