PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter if its 'iam ' not 'what if'

Carol27
14-03-09, 13:17
Hi everyone, i am trying hard to get to grips with my bizarre thought processes and understand what Charles (Linden) says about the Amygdala and the fight/flight response.I want to get it back to its off switch as we all do although its hard to grasp that by doing that these weird thoughts will go but we need to trust those who understand the workings of the brain. I just thought the more you thought something the more entrenched it would get.
I do find it hard to come to terms with the fact that it can produce such strange thoughts and how they seem so believeable, its like part of my brain knows its irrational yet gets over ridden by fear. What i struggle with too is that everything i've heard or read about anxiety thoughts says they are 'what if' thoughts yet mine were for about a minute then went directly to 'i am', this puzzles me and also worries me because it makes it seem more of a scarey statement and more believeable.And i did read someone say that their anxiety was gone yet they still had the thoughts and that freaked me out as i thought they were a symptom of the anxiety so that has me quite scared. At first i thought it was a delusion but my GP says its not as if it was i wouldn't even be scared of it. I suppose i just feel different as i don't seem to be able to relate to anyone regarding my specific ones whereby others can with theirs. Many thanks, Carol.

Nechtan
15-03-09, 19:17
If you are going down the Charles route then he would be the best to ask- just google and you'll find him.

Personally I don't believe there is an anxiety switch you can turn on and off. Anxiety is an emotion and as such is influenced by circumstance and thoughts not direct control so you cannot just switch it off- even if you wanted to.

What you read about someone still having bad thoughts sounds worse than it is. When you find a way to live with your anxiety it is no longer a problem and those thoughts you see for what they are- just thoughts. That is not the case when they are problematic- far from it so I would not try to trivialise that. But when anxiety is not a problem they are not a problem.

Nechtan