PDA

View Full Version : Brief med history..Lump in throat issue and not believing doctors

Wee-Mee
14-03-09, 17:02
So I don't really keep all that great anyways peeps. :( I have had eating issues in the past and my health is not great. I have Asthma and bad bowel habits. And actually got dismissed from hospital yesterday after having a bad anxiety/asthma attack after taking ibroprofen.

Had paramedics out this morning also as was having the same symptoms.

I have had bad pelvic pain on off for about a year and had antibiotics for urine infections until two weeks ago when I got walloped a big dose of two antibiotics for a pelvic infection.. Which has gave me oral thrush! And for the past week I have had a lump feeling in my throat and when I stick my tongue out it feels the back of it is swollen.like there is a mad wiggly lump at the back of my tongue at my throat..so...I am freaking about this and I have been to doctors and told them and they keep looking at me like I'm crazy but I am convinced there is something really wrong with me.I got a nystatit rinse for the oral thrush and it isn't helping and I keep feeling like I have to swallow snot and when I do,it returns. It feels like the lump is near on the right hand side and feels like it goes down ot my collar bone but when you press around my neck you can't feel bumps or anything. Last night my tongue got real sore and it's really uncomfoy and I dunno what to do. I'm convinced I have cancer and it's the reasons why none of my meds are working or anything and I keep going ill.

:'( I really need comfort. I'm getting embarassed to go to docs again cos when I am,she says it's anxiety and she looks like she's getting tired of me. :'(

I feel like I have to die before someone will know there was something wrong with me. xxxxxxx

cattttt
15-03-09, 10:31
I do feel for you Weemee, it's horrible isn't it? When you have something wrong and your mind works overtime on all these other things. The feelings in your mouth and throat are probably all to do with the antibiotics and thrush, they both can do some wierd things, and they can take a while to clear up. Make sure you drink lots of water and eat some healthy food, especially live yogurt, that will help to sort out what the antibiotics and thrush are doing. Has the doc actually looked at your throat? If she does, it might help to set your mind at rest.
Hope you feel better soon.

xfilme
15-03-09, 12:52
So I don't really keep all that great anyways peeps. :( I have had eating issues in the past and my health is not great. I have Asthma and bad bowel habits. And actually got dismissed from hospital yesterday after having a bad anxiety/asthma attack after taking ibroprofen.

Had paramedics out this morning also as was having the same symptoms.

I have had bad pelvic pain on off for about a year and had antibiotics for urine infections until two weeks ago when I got walloped a big dose of two antibiotics for a pelvic infection.. Which has gave me oral thrush! And for the past week I have had a lump feeling in my throat and when I stick my tongue out it feels the back of it is swollen.like there is a mad wiggly lump at the back of my tongue at my throat..so...I am freaking about this and I have been to doctors and told them and they keep looking at me like I'm crazy but I am convinced there is something really wrong with me.I got a nystatit rinse for the oral thrush and it isn't helping and I keep feeling like I have to swallow snot and when I do,it returns. It feels like the lump is near on the right hand side and feels like it goes down ot my collar bone but when you press around my neck you can't feel bumps or anything. Last night my tongue got real sore and it's really uncomfoy and I dunno what to do. I'm convinced I have cancer and it's the reasons why none of my meds are working or anything and I keep going ill.

:'( I really need comfort. I'm getting embarassed to go to docs again cos when I am,she says it's anxiety and she looks like she's getting tired of me. :'(

I feel like I have to die before someone will know there was something wrong with me. xxxxxxx

Deep breath..... and relax.... I totally understand your situation. Let me tell you my story. Back in november I had a really bad time with anxiety... to the point I was signed off work. I was so stressed I developed a urine infection. The doctor prescribed me antibiotics. I took two tablets and my body broke out in a deep red rash which scared the living daylights out of me. They changed the antibiotics and I took them for a week which cleared my bladder problem. I finished taking them at the beginning of January.

After stopping the antibiotics, I developed this uncomfortable sensation on the back of my tongue, like I had a hair stuck to the back of it and it wouldnt go away. I also have cancer fears due to losing my mum last june. So naturally I presumed the worse. I went to the doctors about it 4 times. The first two times they said that it was normal to have a white coated tongue when you are under the weather and that there was nothing at the back of my tongue so I shouldnt worry. I went to another GP and he said it looked like I might have the begining of tonsillitis on the lingual tonsils going down the back of my tongue.... but I had no symptoms... I waited a week for it to go and it actually became worse. It felt by then like a lump on the back of my tongue though there was nothing visible. I noticed the taste buds that form a V along the back of my tongue were swollen and my tongue was still very white. I called the doc and said I felt it must be oral thrush as the insides of my mouth had started peeling.

I took Nystatin and Daktarin for a week and went on a yeast free sugar free diet while I did it. I also ate copious amounts of natural live sugar free yoghurt and ate raw garlic as both eat yeast and bacteria. My tongue started to improve but it still was not normal. The last appointment I had with my doctor was after a night I had spent awake.... not being able to swallow because my throat was so dry. I begged for her to help me and cried for the duration of the appointment. Again they checked my throat and told me it was "Globus Hystericus"... a pysical manifestation of my anxiety. Having got to the point I just needed sleep, I decided for the evening I would trust her. Within 5 minutes the dry throat had completely gone. So in hindsight, I do actually believe it was just anxiety causing the problem for the best part.

My tongue is still very white.... but not as bad. I still get the crawling sensation "sometimes" but usually when Im a bit anxious. Because I was so stressed for 3 weeks in November, I depleted my body's iron store. I had a blood test that showed my iron levels. My serum ferritin levels were just 22. The range considered "normal" by doctors for serum ferritin is 12-250. The doctors said the probs I had in my mouth couldnt be due to that as I was not technically anaemic (below 12). After three months of telling them (as Id done massive amounts of reasearch in this area) that my oral probs were due to low iron (the white tongue, not the lump on my tongue sensation), they finally said that they felt my symptoms co9uld be due to low iron. I have now been on the iron tablets for 2 weeks... my tongue is slowly becoming pink again... and my mouth irritations are subsiding. I was still convinced I might have some form of oral cancer so I went to the dentist this week.... he assures me there are no bad signs at all inside my mouth and it is likely all due to a lack of iron.

If your trouble swallowing is Globus Hystericus... the more attention you pay to it, the more it will seem uncomfortable. If your mouth discomfort is accompanied by pins and needles, pale tongue that wont clean off, extreme tiredness, then maybe ask them to check your iron levels. If the insides of your cheeks are patchy and peeling, then it is likely just oral thrush which is common after being treated with antibiotics.

Regardless, keep a positive outlook. Keep in touch with all of us and we can help you brainstorm ways of getting to the bottom whether it may be medical or psychological, I assure you, one of us will have already been down the road you're on and might be able to offer suggestions x

Wee-Mee
15-03-09, 17:47
Thanks very much for the replies.

It's like a smokey feeling in my throat and chest and a cough I can't break so I don't know if I maybe have an infection. I don't know. I'm fed up being sick. And I think docs think I'm crazy. I feel like there's a lump at my thyroid seriously. I'm going off the head. I get anxious and stuff and stressed but I've never had this before. I can't hack this. :'(