PDA

View Full Version : some advice please

Magik
14-03-09, 21:43
I've been in the Er twice in the last week, the first time I got diagnosed with something new, GERD, but this time they said it was panic. Being this has been going on every day for 9 months now, I always wonder if it is possible to have panic attacks every day. Which it seems I have been. They've checked again the normal things, and it's come back normal.

They took me off of Xanax and put me on Ativan, which seems to make me feel weird before it settles down, but that scares me too, cause it feels like I struggle to breath more for awhile. Should I just trust in the doctors, or try to accept it is panic everyday or go in for more tests. I know being in denial about this can continue to hurt me, I just can't shake the fear that something else might be wrong with me.

And I haven't been on the boards much, because I have been trying to beat this. But after a month or so...just feels like I'm not getting anywhere.

Nechtan
15-03-09, 00:11
Hi,

To be honest I am not the best person to answer this because I have never been medicated. But I did want to say two things. Firstly from experience it is possible to have panic attacks every day and sometimes more than one in that day. With regards to your medication if you are not feeling good on it then I personally think you should tell your GP as it will no doubt just be fuelling your anxiety. Alot of medication is trial and error to find something that suits you as the same thing doesn't work for everyone so it may be that it doesn't suit you or if these symptoms will go after a period your doctor can at least inform you of that to set your mind at rest.

All the best

Necthan

PoppyC
15-03-09, 12:43
Hello
Panic attacks can occur every day, several times a day and then can disapear, once you have your anxiety under control. I had them several times a day for a while and eventually I learned how to deal with them in my own way by trying my best to control my anxiety and since then I dont get them at all. I thought I had heart problems when I first had them but that was ruled out. It was just simply the anxiety causing them. Once the anxiety and worries are under control then so will the panic attacks. It is ourselves making them happen. I found the best way to deal with them is total distraction, combined with learning how to relax, anti anxiety diet, no alcohol or cigarettes, plenty of sleep and exercise. I found CBT to be really good too and just chatting with people about your anxiety be it offline or on sites like this. Is there anything that is causing your anxiety? Try and confront and work through your problems and things should start to get a little easier. I know it can be very hard trying to overcome panic attacks but trying your best to get your anxiety under control will help. Maybe your medication is aggravating them too? Have you spoken to your gp about how you feel? Hopefully things will improve for you.