PDA

View Full Version : Going back on Sertraline - increased anxiety?

Chevgr
15-03-09, 20:31
I was on it for 8 years and if Im honest it was probably the best years of my life so far. Totally managed my anxiety and depressive disposition.

For some reason I decided to come off - and 6 months later I got hit like a tonne of bricks by depression and bad anxiety.
I tried to fight it with CBT but couldnt so last week went back on - 50mgs a day to start with.
My anxiety (esp in the mornings and sometimes lasting until 3pm) has got worse though. Is this a side effect of going back on and will it go?

Im scared they wont work again. Can someone reassure me the last week has been hell

abbybelle
17-03-09, 07:59
Hiya hun

I had really bad increase in anxiety and panic attacks when i first started this, it was horrible but after a couple of weeks started to slowly get better and now I'm fine. A dip is pretty common when you first start new meds.

When it got really bad I went back to my doctor and he gave me some extra meds (lorazapan) to cope with the worst of the symptons until my body got used to it.

Also relaxation excersises and being physically active helped when i felt really bad, though it was was a struggle.

Now i have to increase the dose to 100mg so i'm hoping i won't get that 'dip' again!:wacko:

Peppercat
17-03-09, 09:53
Hi, if it is any help I am going through the same! Started on 50mg 12 days ago - then my consultant put me up to 75mg and I thought I was leaving the planet! My anxiety made me feel sooo twitchy and I couldnt sleep, I had to leave work yesterday - phoned him in panic, and he said it is par for the course, some people get bad s/e and some don't , it could be for a week or 2 and then it starts to kick in....and everything lessens......so I have to take each day at a time , which is difficult I know with anxiety & depression.
I wish you well, you are not alone out there!

Chevgr
20-03-09, 15:18
Thanks.
The anxiety seems to have subsisided but replaced my extreme depression,. Its been 12 days now I wonder if I shld go back and increase the dose I feel desperate. Im so depressed I've stopped eating

abbybelle
03-04-09, 07:40
hey, How are you feeling now?

My doctors just kept saying to me it takes anything from 6 weeks + to start working so to hang in there. If the depression is effecting your ability to work etc that go back and see the doctor.

I wouldn't have thought an increase of dose would have been helpful yet as it may increase the side effects.
I had to wait 6 weeks before i increased my dose to check i was ok with the lower dose X