PDA

View Full Version : Odd Ouestion....Laptops & PC's

Trish
16-03-09, 07:43
Hi

Is it just me or does anyone else fear what health problems can be caused by using laptops/pc's?

I am on my laptop quite often throughout the day, everyday:blush:

Apart from eye strain and RSI does anyone know if it can cause other health problems?

Thanks
Trish.

marius
16-03-09, 08:28
Hi, Trish,
Ive been using laptop/desktop everyday, almost all day long, since 1997. No "side effects". Not even RSI. Maybe some eye strain, but i`m not sure what caused it; I cannot say it was the computer.
If I`d notice that it affects me somehow, I`d just take a break (which in fact I do from time to time). You cannot use the laptop too much, then fear about consequences. Either you use it, or you take a break if it makes you feel uncomfortable. How much you stay in front of ur computer is your choice. If you are using the computer at work, take a short break every two hours or so.
Regards,
marius

Jaco45er
16-03-09, 09:00
Marius is spot on.

There are guidlines for the use of PC's under the Health and safety at work act, including seating, distance from keyboard, taking eye breaks etc.

But don't let the ole anxiety run away with you, to my knowledge a laptop never attacked anyone ;)

When you feel uncomfortable, like Marius said, take a break and take regualer eye breaks by focusing on something further away every so often.

TC

Jaco

mick_uk
16-03-09, 09:34
The only health problems I have found since using my PCs are caused by GOOGLE :D

fairyloveheart
16-03-09, 09:42
For me, it is definately the cause of some neck problems. The physio confirmed this. If you have the laptop on your lap, your neck tends to scrunch up/bend over whilst using it, this can compress the discs. I had physio on my neck and the pain when she pushed on the discs was immense, as she said the squidgy stuff in between the discs (i forget the name of it) had stiffened and needed to be more flexible. The physio really helped and now it is better. I do notice that if I do use the laptop again for long periods of time, then my neck starts to hurt. The problem occurred after a good 3-4 years of using a laptop though.
Get a good pillow with a neck piece that you can use, so your neck stays in the right position or use a docking station (but that kind of defeats the object of a laptop!)
FLH

Jaco45er
16-03-09, 10:06
The only health problems I have found since using my PCs are caused by GOOGLE :D

LMAO Mick

Wee-Mee
16-03-09, 10:28
LMAO Mick

Agreed. Google's got the best of me!

Or should that be worst? :p xx

marius
16-03-09, 11:02
Lmao, Mick, Sad, but true. Why, then, I cannot stop laughing? Am I going nutts? :)))) Think I should google this =)))))

justbananas
16-03-09, 15:08
ditto - only health problem it caused for me was via google. - avid laptop addict since 2002.

Trish
16-03-09, 16:43
Oh yes I forgot GOOGLE.....now that is deffo not good for your health!:roflmao:

Thank you all.

Trish.

shiraz
17-03-09, 09:30
Phew one health problem solved,My sore neck now just got to work down the rest of my list