PDA

View Full Version : Bad Hair Day?

stimpy
22-12-03, 17:41
I felt brave enough to tackle a visit to the hairdressers to have several inches of hair removed.

To my suprise, the hairdresser said to me ...
"You are taking medication aren't you?"

"I said yes I've been on some of it since May and some of it for about 6 weeks."

"Your hair is very fine,weak and breaking lay off colouring or perming your hair until it gets stronger."

Can Diazapam and Sertraline play havoc with your hair like that or is it just a bad hair day ?[:I]

Lottie32
23-12-03, 09:13
Stimpy

Medication can affect your hair. So can a poor diet, and just being stressed! My best friend is a hair dresser, and she noticed that when I was at my worst (but not on medication), my hair became finer and brittle, and prone to split ends and breaking.

However, don't worry, once I started to feel better, my diet and exercise regime improved, and my stress levels lowered, so my hair improved!

She advised using a good quality shampoo and conditioner, gently patting hair dry (as opposed to rubbing vigorously with a towel), allowing it to dry naturally whenever possible, limited the number of heated appliances used on it, and if necessary, treating it with a deep conditioning treatment once a week or fortnight.When wet, "comb" through with your fingers first, then use a wide tooth comb, starting at the bottom of the hair shaft and working your way up to the scalp. Also, using a heat protecting spray for blow drying, and only using things like straightening irons for special occassions. You can also try the supplements in the chemist which promote healthy nails, skin and hair.

The good thing about all this is that you must be feeling better if you are worrying about your hair!!!!!! A few months ago, it would never have been an issue!

Well done for continuing your battle (and more importantly being so successful).

I hope you and your family have a fantastic Xmas.

Take care

Charlie

Meg
23-12-03, 17:21
Thinning hair is often a sign of mineral depeletion.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
23-12-03, 20:21
Yes it must be a sign of feeling better, along with back chatting Steve ;)
I now take vitamin supliments, so hopefully that will help.

Thanks for the advice Lottie, I will give it a try, failing that I could have it all cut off [:0]