PDA

View Full Version : Have I just had a panic attack??

Mondie
16-03-09, 11:59
I have suffered with Health Anxiety since my Dad died of cancer 3 years ago, whilst I feel anxious A LOT I have not had a panic attack before and I think I may have just had one? Either that or I am finally losing the plot...

I've just been to the supermarket and whilst I was walking in I starting to feel shaky (like adrenaline or the start of flu) My throat felt weird and almost felt like I was being strangled. I felt dizzy and had this feeling in my chest like I wanted to scream out loud. I felt like I was underwater and about to faint. I just had to leave my trolley and get out of the shop. Now I'm home I just want to cry and cry. Am I going mad or was this a panic attack of sorts??:weep:

j2
16-03-09, 14:54
While I am no doctor, I would say yes you had/having a panic attack. I get them like yours where I am not doing anything particulary stressful but I get a huge surge of what feels like adrenalilne, I feel like I am dizzy, short of breath and my heart starts pounding. I am not on any meds, but I hear they help with the attacks. I try to take long deep breaths and distract myself with a funny movie or going for a run. Good luck and don't google.

diane07
16-03-09, 15:24
Aww hun,

that always happens to me at the supermarket, its not pleasant at all, and very much sounds like a panic attack, where you okay when you got out the shop?

di xx

Mondie
16-03-09, 15:27
I did feel a bit better once I was out of the shop, but still shaky and sad...am going to go for a walk in the sunshine to try and chill out a bit...This sucks!

diane07
16-03-09, 15:28
aww its awful hun

have a good walk

di xx

sammyj
16-03-09, 18:43
it was most certanly a panic attack, i suffer the whole supermarket anxiety thing as well. i asked the doctor specifically about this and feeling that way in a supermarket is classic.
i had one at work i work in an open plan office and just had to get ut of there, felt like all these strangers were around and ddnt want anyone to see me!
i get a bit anxious now aboeu going to the supermarket, its not pleaseant but a panic attack wont kill you.
the calming walk sounds good, thats what I try and do, except dont think too much whilst walking just take in the air and sun etc

BamBam
17-03-09, 09:40
Hi Mondie :)

I can understand exactly what you went through - I've been through it many times, including on a tube (where I couldn't escape and had my young child with me!) - it's awful and I know exactly how you feel. When I had my first serious attack a few years ago, on a tube, I didn't think I was going to get out of there alive. It lasted for an hour and I had to ring my husband to come and pick me up outside the Bank of England, where I had to keep lying down on the ground!! Everyone was looking at me like I was some kind of loon! That was the start of it, and believe me, I've had hundreds of the things since then. But guess what? Nothing actually happened to me. I thought I would faint - I didn't. I thought I was having a heart attack - I wasn't. I thought I was going to be sick - I wasn't. Many people told me that these wretched attacks wouldn't hurt me, but I just couldn't believe them because THEY were not having MY attack - mine was different and therefore, much more serious. But actually, many attacks later, I realise that they were right - these things can not hurt you. They just can't. Now I am able to go out again and do more things that I was stopping myself from doing. The irony is, the more attacks I had, the less power they had over me. I still get them, but not with the same intensity and I am better able to control them. One thing I do which I find helps is that, if i start to feel a little dizzy or faint, I hold my breath to a count of ten - then I try and breathe slowly and deeply from my gut (not your chest, which will make you feel light-headed) and then perhaps hold my breath again for another count of 10, until I start to feel calmer. It's worth knowing that these attacks alter some of the chemicals in our bodies, much of it caused by shallow quick breathing which can then bring on a range of symptoms - most commonly the dizziness, palpitations and feeling faint. I also do a range of exercise which helps to keep my adrenaline in check and helps me to breath more deeply. I hope this has been of some help for you. :)

shiraz
17-03-09, 10:58
Most definately a panic attack i get them in supermarkets and when driving.Its really frightening and you will tired and tense for a little while yet but it will pass