PDA

View Full Version : calling all Menopausal ladies

angel 2
16-03-09, 14:02
Please I need to know what you all are experiencing so I don't think I'm going totally mad. I am peri menopausal and it's the most awful time I have experienced with anxiety, depression, insomnia, panic. You wouldn't believe hormones could do this to you.I need some kind of hope that it will eventually disappear and I will become Human again.It's playing around with my head TOO MUCH!!! Lv you all angel

anna66
16-03-09, 15:46
Hi Angel
I too have the most awful symptoms, which I am keeping a diary for. My mum and Aunt both started the perimenopausal state at ages 39 and 40. I am now 42. I suspect that a lot of what I feel is due to the perimenopause too, but I don't want to go to the docs until I have a six month diary (I had a bad few months of panic and anxiety last year and was at the docs a fair bit). I suffer with palps now, extreme bloating, scared of being on my own, irrational fears of having certain conditions, hormonal mood swings, happy and dpressed, sleeplessness, some flushes, mainly for about a week before my period, then a huge low on day two.
Today I am having an ok day, but needed to come on the site as it has made me feel better in the past.
I hate thinking about how this can affect me as the next months and years fly by.
Anna

angel 2
16-03-09, 15:59
Thanks anna66
I have spoken to lots of friends that all thought they were going quite mad ! Like you I'm keeping a diary. It's been 5 months now. Apparently when you've had 12 months free you are then in the menopause and hopefully the mental symptoms should pass but what will t.a.k.e. i.t's p.l.a.c.e. ???

Alabasterlyn
16-03-09, 16:38
I was told that once you haven't had a period for a year then you are classed as 'post menopausal'.

I started the menopause when I was 47 and 7yrs later I am still suffering with night sweats, can't sleep etc., I'm still waiting for things to get better :ohmy:

nicros
16-03-09, 16:53
Hi I'm 41 and am in the peri-menapause too, I suffer from anxiety and depression anyway but its gotten much worse since I was about 39. I get flushes, night sweats, headaches,panic attacks, lightheadedness and terrible mood swings which change every few hours. I am much worse the period time and feel so depressed just before it and the first few days and also have such a sedated feeling. Hope this helps Nic

Wenjoy
16-03-09, 16:55
Hi - I started perimenopause at 40 - like my mum - and am now 49 and on HRT - have sweats all the time esp at night - we have had summer duvet on bed all winter coz I heat me and hubby up!! also cry over little things, forget things, drop things and feel icky sometimes as well as panic attacks and hormone surges. I had this before I had my children 24 years ago and now it has all come back so hormones have a lot to answer for !! Wenjoy x

kate
16-03-09, 18:44
I'm 46 and have a lovely heavy period about every 24 days, night sweats, keep bursting into tears, emotional, anxious arghhhhh :ohmy:

Apparently the peri can carry on for 10 yrs :scared15:

Kate

Kay-Tee
16-03-09, 18:54
Hi Girls,
I think thats whats been happening to me! Wow................I get night sweats (but I thought that was a side affect of sertraline). My period was almost 10 days late....................I thought I might be pregnant, but I did get a really heavy period. I have been feeling anxious and suffering with my usual symptoms, but I thought that was because I was late taking my morning tablet. Is the Perimenopausel stage the beginning of the menopause.............and does it involve anything else other than what you have mentioned above. How long does it go on for? Do you think you can still get pregnant in the perimenopausel stage?

angel 2
16-03-09, 19:10
Kay -Tee Yes apparently if you are still having periods you can get preggers!
This menopause thing is supposed to be a Natural transition but it's HELL. You all sound horrendous. LYN you're right it is 'Post Menopause'
6 years ago when I hit 50 It was just as if my biological clock had switched on and I bled for 4 months became anaemic .The hospital was reluctant to do a hysterectomy because I was menopause age and here I am still at it and worse.I hope it's coming to an end ! Thanks for all your replies lv angel

sharona
16-03-09, 19:29
Hi
Just thought I would let you know what my Doctor said. I have been going through the menapause for 3 years, last period 2 years ago. I have been having panic attacks for a couple of weeks so went to doc and a&e as felt like i was going to pass out. She said it could be the menapause but thinks I am depressed so put me on citalopram. I had to have something as I feel awaful, crying all the time and in a right panic.

Been on tablets for 5 days and feel a little better. I t hink you need to go to your doctors to talk about your symptoms.

Sharon

lesleya
16-03-09, 20:01
Jees how lucky are we being women :) .....i was panic/anxiety free for around 8/9 wonderful years then bam! nearly 2 years ago i started missing a few periods here and there and then all the anxiety, panic attacks started again. Added to that the mood swings...could fight with a feather...lol, insomnia, internal shakes, bloating, nausea, headaches, heat surges etc etc.
Ive been 8 months now without a period so fingers crossed i will get to the 12 months and then hopefully come through the other side. My geanocologist told me i was peri-menopausal though around 7 or 8 years ago so im praying its going to come to an end very soon.
Next time i come back..im coming back as a man :roflmao:

Kay-Tee
16-03-09, 22:02
Hello again,
Apparently there is a test you can buy over the counter at the chemist, works similar to a pregnancy test kit. It can detect whether you have started the menopause. might be worth a look

angel 2
17-03-09, 06:32
HI your GP should test your hormones for free. I have had some blood tests done that show I am in the peri-menopause." I'm off to see the Wizard"at the Gynaecology Dept. Monday . Apparently there are some more intensive tests that can be done but does that then mean HRT Hmmmm don't know.:wacko:

Granny Primark
17-03-09, 07:47
I started 4 years ago when I was 50.
Coincidentally that year I had my first panic attack.
I still havent gone a year without having a period. I went 10 months then had 2 within a month in january.
I never know whether to put my hot flushes down to menopause or anxiety.
Thankfully the night sweats have stopped.
I used to wake up ring wet and sweat dropping off my chin.
My doc is now thinking of putting me HRT.
Im taking 40mg of citalopram which has helped but I still have days when I cant stop the tears.

angel 2
17-03-09, 08:14
does citalopram help the anxiety and panic? i've never been able to take anti depressants they've always made me worse and I've given them a fair chance (like 2 months) and I've had to come off them... then that's been difficult too. Tried 6 different types. I wish something would work.I'm the same ,not knowing which 'demon' is causing the sweats it's probably both anxiety and hormones. Aren't we blessed??? Last night woke at 2am 'red hot' have not been back to sleep at all.I suppose when I'm 80 I'll be ready to live a good life:yahoo:

mf
17-03-09, 08:54
After a blood test last year at the doctors i was told that i was perimenopausal, i have not had so much problem with the physical affects of the peri-meno yet, but have experienced more intense and frequent bouts of anxiety/panic attacks/mood swings.. I have found that i tend to wake in the early hrs and cannot always get back to sleep and the worst thing for me is the anxiety and sometimes being physically sick because of it.. Things got so bad after christmas that i decided to take the anti-deps ( Citalopram) i had been trying to avoid taking them and go the natural route but did not feel that i could manage anymore, as in tears on a daily basis and just sinking further and further into a depressive state.. Have been on a very low dose of citalopram for 5 wks now and at the start of taking them i did feel worse re the anxiety,i however persevered and dare i say have been feeling a bit better this last wk, still have the odd bad day but its not been everyday, so fingers crossed i am hoping to have a bit of life back.. Dont know if any of you menopausal ladies know of it but there is a website for the us ladies going through it... www.menopausematters.co.uk (http://www.menopausematters.co.uk) Its very helpful and everyone is very supportive of each other...

sue681
17-03-09, 15:42
Hi
Well i had my blood tests back today and hormone levels appear normal so i don't know what the hells going on ??? i'm 41 and was sure the way i was feelin was due to hormones etc
Ive always suffered Anxiety/depression but was getting worse(night sweats etc) so thought it might of been this !
However...
I am feeling a lot better,ive given up smoking and caffeine which did'nt really make much difference although felt abit healthier.
Also been doing a lot of research into alternative natural methods as i don't want to go down the Antidepressant route if i can help it.

Ive been taking

Fish oils 3,6,9
vit b complex
multivitamin

The next lot are new to me but read a lot about them and i have definitely noticed an improvement especially with my anxiety !

5-htp
Inositol
l-Tyrosine
DLPA

I started Taking 5-htp first then introduced the others
There all naturally occur in the body and work together

Please look up on internet and see whats been said about them

www.Bulknutrition.com...supplements (http://www.Bulknutrition.com...supplements) for depression by Andrew Norvic was just one of the sites

I think anythings worth a try..

yorkylover
08-10-10, 13:26
I had a blood test done which was normal!!!! but the doctor said it depends on what time of the month the test is taken as the hormones are different at different times of the month.
She has now told me Im perimenopausel.We talked yesterday of changing my citalopram as I have been on them many many years,but Im scared of changing as I have to come of the citalopram for a week first.

She then offered me HRT,I accepted the HRT,I don't think I was thinking straight as I was nearly in tears in the surgery!!!!When I got home I decided I don't want the HRT as I really don't know much about it and what I do know I don't like.

I have no idea what to do,Im all over the place at the mo.My moods are up and down,Im snappy all the time,tearfull.Im 43.:weep::weep::weep:HELP!!!!!

suzy-sue
08-10-10, 13:29
Ive just posted on your other thread Yorky ..Give it a go hun it does help greatly with those symptoms ..:hugs:xxsue