PDA

View Full Version : Need medication prescribed, can't leave house

ashleyg
16-03-09, 15:52
Hi everyone,

I've had various anxieties/phobias for years, mainly ocd, social anxiety, and body dismorphic, and I've been on an SSRI since I was 14(23 now). We moved to a new city in December, and I now have to get my medication re-prescribed, and I REALLY don't want to leave the house at the moment. I haven't left the house in about 3 weeks, and keeping appointments in partictular scares me, and I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the GP. All I want is to be able to have a phone appointment, to be re-prescribed a medication I have been on for nearly a decade, but they're not willing to give me that. I just phoned the community mental health trust, who put me through to the 'crisis team', and they had no advice for me. They said if my GP says I have to physically go in and be seen, then I'll just have to do it. Great way to talk to someone going through a crisis! I asked them what they normally do for people who need medication but can't leave the house, and she said she had no idea. Isn't that their job?? Is there anyone here in the UK that can help? Is there any way of getting a phone consultation? I could get the last doctor I saw(maybe 5 months ago) to forward my records, which would clearly document how long I've been on this medicine. Thank you in advance :)

tommy1982
16-03-09, 15:57
Ash if your on this med 10 years, and you cant leave the house at the moment, maybe the doc can give you another ssri or something that will help you out more.

I do however understand its so tuff to go and see him, I dont think you have many opitions however

Alabasterlyn
16-03-09, 16:31
This seems to be a common problem with people who can't go out but need medication. My GP won't come out to me and I've yet to find a GP in this day and age that is willing to do a home visit unless it's what they consider a medical emergency.

From what I understand regarding repeat prescribing a GP has to physically see a patient to ensure they are okay continuing their medications. Even though I find it extremely difficult to get to see my GP I have no choice other than go to the surgery or I won't get my prescription. I think a lot of GP's have the attitude they think they are doing us good by making us face our fears and getting to the surgery.

Perhaps if you can somehow manage to get someone to take you to the surgery tomorrow you could discuss having telephone consultations in the future, although as I said before I'm not sure if they will do that for medication reviews.

ashleyg
16-03-09, 16:40
This seems to be a common problem with people who can't go out but need medication. My GP won't come out to me and I've yet to find a GP in this day and age that is willing to do a home visit unless it's what they consider a medical emergency.

From what I understand regarding repeat prescribing a GP has to physically see a patient to ensure they are okay continuing their medications. Even though I find it extremely difficult to get to see my GP I have no choice other than go to the surgery or I won't get my prescription. I think a lot of GP's have the attitude they think they are doing us good by making us face our fears and getting to the surgery.

Perhaps if you can somehow manage to get someone to take you to the surgery tomorrow you could discuss having telephone consultations in the future, although as I said before I'm not sure if they will do that for medication reviews.

It's such crap, because if our medical condition was cancer, they wouldn't make us get over our cancer before treating us. If someone needs medication BECAUSE they're afraid to leave their house, should it really be a requirement that they leave their house to receive treatment? The mental health care in this country frightens me sometimes.

On the plus side, I just spoke to another surgery, and the receptionist said she thinks the doctor might be willing to do a phone appointment if my fear is that severe. We shall see.

Yvonne
16-03-09, 17:47
Ashley

Yes it's completely awful that gp's and therapists etc expect us to go to them - especially when anxiety is high - as yours is now. Last year when I was chronically bad the gp came out to me. I have to say that my gp surgery here is so good. The gp that came to me had a bedside manner which EVERY gp should have and he was lovely to me.

I think the NHS do this as Lyn said to force us to go out. It's very very hard. Is there anyone who could go with you? Anyone at all?? If there isn't then that would be a shame. Right, if you really really cannot do it then you phone GP surgery and tell them that you're in too much of a state. As far as I'm concerned a gp will have to come out!!! Tell them you feel too weak to move if necessary.

For future appointments at gp's which you are going to have to do, make sure you have someone to go with and get a very early appointment so that there are not too many people in the waiting room.

As Lyn says doctors do like to see us anx sufferers from time to time even though we don't like seeing them lol.

Take care you will be okay.

sunshine-lady
16-03-09, 19:18
Hi Ashley,

I can understand why your new GP needs to see you in person, I think they like to meet any new patient to be able to assess how they are pyhsically as well as mentally. They may want to take your blood pressure etc.

I think the crisis team treat you terribly! They are employed to help us in times of need, not to just fob us off.

Like Yvonne said, if you really can't make it, call (or get someone else to) your GP and tell them you are in too much of a state and they will have to make a home appointment.

I have agoraphobia along with other mental health issues and have been hospitalised several times in the past. Due to this my GP is really good. He phones me and makes an appointment to come out and see me when I need a medication review. I also need regular blood pressure and blood tests done because of some of my medication, I have a district nurse who comes to my home to do this as they know I am unable to go to the surgery.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on xxx