PDA

View Full Version : Teaching

seh1980
01-08-05, 11:24
hello all,

As some of you know, I am teaching this week from today through Wednesday. It seemed like a great idea when I signed up but I'm not so sure now. I first class is at 2pm today. I'm teaching History to A-level students from all around the North-East. I had to be there at 9 this morning to introduce myselff, meet the kids, etc. Just being in the classroom was making me panic. It's quite a tight squeeze and once everyone is in, there's not a direct path to the door like I like. Also, when teaching I'm obviously going to be at the front with all the kids hanging on my every word. Don't know how I'm going to cope!! Just thought that writing it down might help..

Sarah [Ugh]

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

pinkscrumpy
01-08-05, 11:39
Sarah

You will be just fine. You mind is obviously working overtime. Once you get into it I'm sure you will be great.

Sending big hugs and support at 2 oclock and in spirit will be standing next to you helping you along.

love

MANDIE XX

bluesparkle
01-08-05, 11:58
hi
just to say will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes at 2pm...
im sure you will be ok especially once you start teaching im sute the time will fly past...
good luck
let us know how you get on
rach

zena
01-08-05, 12:19
Sarah,

You are one of the people I look upto in here. ( not putting to much pressure on here am I )
You are alot stronger and no doubt be able to cope and get through this.
You will cope because once you have got started you will be concentrating on that so much you won't be able to think of anything else.

Will send you loads of positive thoughts to you b4 and after. You'll be fine.

Good luck honey

with good wishes

Zena

kate
01-08-05, 12:51
Sarah,

Good few squirts of Rescue Remedy before you go into the classroom should help to relax you.

To distract yourself from the amount of people I always scan round while talking so I'm not focused on one group of people. Doesn't seem to be so many there then. Just a thought anyway.

Think about us all here while you are talking and how good it will feel when you come here tonight and tell us how well it went!

I'm sure you will cope fine.

Love Kate x

alexis
01-08-05, 13:51
Hi Sarah,I know its hard but hope it went ok im sure it would, the few places Ive had to go I imagne everybody as a fellow sufferer, let us know how you went on, love Alexis,xx

clickaway
01-08-05, 14:40
Oh I hope you will be posting back and telling us all how well it went.

A few years ago I was thrust into speaking in front of a load of people and shook like a leaf! But with practice it got better.

When speaking I just used to focus on a spot on a wall or something, never a person, although it'll probably be difficult to use this tactic with a bunch of 18 year olds.

But you will grow used to it and remember that you are the boss, not them!

Take care,

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

seh1980
01-08-05, 16:49
hello all,

Thank you very much for your kind words of support. :)

Well, it went ok I guess..it all started out very badly. Firstly, things had fallen behind schedule so I was waiting around getting more and more nervous..then I got my period (Sorry!!) and was worried about getting horrible cramps half way through...then when I finally got into the class room, I discovered that the OHP projector was broken!! Half of what I had prepared was on OHP so had to quickly run and make photocopies of things for everyone. The kids seemed really nice. I was terrified though!! I was shaking, my voice was trembling and I could feel my face getting hotter and hotter. I taught the class with another PhD student (I did the first half and she did the second half) and if it hadn't been for her, I think I really would have died right there on the spot. I had arranged the class so that the kids were doing lots of exercises amongst themselves and I could just chill at the front. I have 2 classes tomorrow, one by myself and one with another PhD student and another one by myself on Wednesday...aaagggghhhhh!!!!! Am hoping it'll be a little easier now that the first day is out of the way..

Sarah :D

Meg
01-08-05, 17:22
Sounds like it went well under the circumstances.

The kids probably won't have noticed you trembling or your voice as often we think it is but it doesn't come out like that to others.

You coped in the face of technical adversity ..... well done.

Hope the rest of the week goes well.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pinkscrumpy
01-08-05, 17:49
Well done Sarah

We are SOOOOOOO proud of you.

love

[8D][8D][8D][8D]

MANDIE XX

sueiamnew
01-08-05, 18:36
Well Done Sarah, and good luck for the next couple of days.

Piglet
01-08-05, 18:44
Oh well done Sarah

Despite all those hiccups you stuck it out - the more you do it I'm sure the easier it will become.

Surely you must feel proud of yourself today.

I do like Alexis's idea of thinking of everybody there as a fellow sufferer (I'm definately going to try that) and actually think thats truer than we know.

Big hug

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Quirky
01-08-05, 18:50
Well done Sarah, you did it!
The rest of the week should be easier now,
LJ

alexis
01-08-05, 19:29
Hi sarah, worst bit over it will be down hilll from now, good on ya cheeky lass, lol.
Love Alexis,xx

helen__w
01-08-05, 20:44
Hi Sarah

Glad it went ok today. If you get a bit nervous over the next couple of days just think about how happy you will be at the end of it all!

Good luck :D

Helen x

EmmaJane
01-08-05, 22:13
Hi Sarah,

A very well done, you coped fine. Anyone without our anxiety problems, with be nervous, I would of thought. Especially, with a class full of students to teach. You have got through the first day, im sure you will now be fine. Ill be thinking of you.

Good luck

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

seh1980
02-08-05, 16:44
hello all,

Thank you very much for your wonderful words of encouragement!! Well, today went much better than yesterday. :) I was still nervous but nowhere near as much and was able to lead the class in discussions, etc. The kids really seemed to enjoy it, which is great!! Just have one class left tomorrow afternoon..fingers crossed..

Sarah :D

Meg
02-08-05, 16:58
Hurrah for Sarah

Well done you .. Big step this week.

Cinders4
02-08-05, 17:54
Hi Sarah, just try and remember what it was that drove you to do this in the first place.... You are a well respected person on this site, and the students will respect you too......

Enjoy x

sal
02-08-05, 18:27
Well done Sarah. Pleased it went so well for you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

nomorepanic
02-08-05, 20:02
Well done mate - you are doing so well and we are all proud of you for achieving this.

Glad it is going ok for you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Karen
02-08-05, 20:09
Well done Sarah.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

alexis
02-08-05, 20:35
yeah well done Sarah, I left you big drink in pub, love Alexis,xx

seh1980
02-08-05, 21:28
Thank you everyone :)

sal
03-08-05, 00:41
Hope tomorrow goes just aswell hun.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

sal
03-08-05, 12:47
Hi Sarah

Hope today goes aswell as yesterday.

Love Sal xx

alexis
03-08-05, 13:05
Me too, another drink in pub, youll be in dring out ward by Saturday, Love Alexis,xxxx

seh1980
03-08-05, 17:01
hello all,

Well, I have officially finished my teaching!! I was very nervous again today but had a great time all the same. The kids really are sweet and we had a huge discussion, which was fun. I have agreed to do three hours next Tuesday but I'll just be an assisstant then so it'll be more chilled out..

[Wow!] I did it!! [Yeah!]

sal
03-08-05, 17:02
Pleased it went really well Sarah.

Love Sal xx

alexis
03-08-05, 19:21
O there you are Sarah, lol, hadent seen you in pub, was worried, so pleased youve done it, well done , relax now until next week, take care Love Alexis,xx

seh1980
03-08-05, 20:55
[Wow!] my post was moved to success stories?? I'm a success?? [Yeah!][Wow!][Yes!]:D[^]:D[:P]:D

EmmaJane
03-08-05, 22:11
Well done Sarah, you derserve a nice big drink now. Good luck next week

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.