PDA

View Full Version : Can we imagine body pains/aches?

vastano
17-03-09, 14:44
I was wondering if anybody else can imagine body pains or aches.

If i become worried about a lump or bump i find, i then think about that area of my bodily just about 24/7.

I continually check that area until i am really wound up and panicking wondering if it is cancer.

I cant let the thought leave my mind for a minute and can actually feel the area ache and my mind is always drawn to it making me feel even worse.

Over time it really makes me tired, grumpy and anxious.

Does anyone else get this?

wiskersonkittens
17-03-09, 14:52
Oh, yes!! The more we dwell on it, the worse it gets -- so, yes, in a sense we are imagining it. That's the hardest thing -- that's when it seems we get on the ride and can't get off. We get the symptom, then as we overanalyze it the pain or discomfort gets worse, or that bump seems bigger. It's no fun at all. BTW, this is one of several reasons I was diagnosed with OCD -- I become so obsessed with a particular symptom that I will literally sit on the couch all day and think about it. I don't want anyone to interrupt my thinking. I have to figure it out! It takes over my life. :scared15:

vastano
17-03-09, 14:53
Do you think that can be anywhere in the body and not just the usual anxiety symptoms? i.e. muscle tension, lump in throat, sweating etc.

june
17-03-09, 15:12
anxiety is a visious circle and VERY hard to break.
Pains and aches mainly due to muscle tension and / or hyperventilation (feeling out of breath).
I always advise people to go to the "Main Menu" then "symptoms" scroll through the information in there I think you both will find some peace of mind when you realise your symptoms are quite common:hugs:
Best wishes
june

vastano
17-03-09, 15:22
The problem i have is in my man bits!

I got a pain in one of them about 7 weeks ago and of course started to worry about it to the point i have been checking it almost 24/7!

I cant feel any lumps and i went to the doctor who also could not feel anything unsual.

My mind is focussed on that area all the time and along with my checking it is driving me nuts. Could my mind becausing this feeling?

I went back to the doctor would prescribed my beta blockers and an appointment to see a councilor. I am worried he has missed the point of why i initially came in.

This all started when i got out of bed and got a terrible shooting pain in my back then a pain in my testicle. Could the 2 be related?

marius
17-03-09, 15:58
The brain is capable to put an ache where there is no lesion, as well as to suppress pain. I am sure u`ve heared about surgery performed without anesthesia. Anxiety is often related to symptoms of pain or numbness which have no underlying cause.
marius

worryguy9
17-03-09, 16:07
With me, the pain is real but it's brought on by my anxiety. For instance, if I start to think and believe I will feel pain, when stressed for example, sure enough I soon get an ache. With me it's mostly in my right shoulder and lasts a few minutes.

As for the testicle issue, yes focusing on it definately makes it worse. Im speaking from experience here, I had an issue with one of mine for about six months! It was constantly sore and took over my life! I was able to put that to bed when I got an ultrasound.

Most pains down there are nothing, but if it's been going on for seven weeks you should request an ultrasound, because as soon as you find out what it is your mind will relax and the pain will probably start to dissapate - happened with me!

vastano
17-03-09, 16:15
Worryguy9, what feeling did you have down there? Was it like an ache or was it a pain?

Mine started when i got out of bed one day. I got a shooting pain in my back like had got out of bed to quickly. A few hours later is when i got the pain in my testicle. Ever since i have been non stop worrying. What was the outcome of your scan? Everything ok?

justbananas
17-03-09, 16:45
Oh, yes!! The more we dwell on it, the worse it gets -- so, yes, in a sense we are imagining it. That's the hardest thing -- that's when it seems we get on the ride and can't get off. We get the symptom, then as we overanalyze it the pain or discomfort gets worse, or that bump seems bigger. It's no fun at all. BTW, this is one of several reasons I was diagnosed with OCD -- I become so obsessed with a particular symptom that I will literally sit on the couch all day and think about it. I don't want anyone to interrupt my thinking. I have to figure it out! It takes over my life. :scared15:

ugggggggg i know! i get literally angry if i'm in the car with my mom and she starts talking while i'm rationalizing myself out of a symptom.

Wee-Mee
17-03-09, 21:15
I have tested myself with this if that makes sense. And it is crazy what the mind can have us beleive.

Say I said,I think I'm getting a pain in my ankle,sure enough the more I focus,I think I have a pain in the ankle,then it spreads to the other ankle,the shin...I think I have arthritus? Maybe bone problems..maybe bone marrow..cancer? I might need a transplant,then before you know it.. I am limping and in actuality there 's hee haw wrong with me! :'(

agent orange
17-03-09, 21:21
i have a somatoform disorder- and I cannot always tell real health problems from percieved ones. If i think too much about one particular part of the body, which I am constantly doing, that pain, ache or whatever it is remains... for quite a long period of time.

MikeH
17-03-09, 22:27
Great thread!

In my case I was feeling great up until December 20 or so. Came off a bad cold and felt some tightness in my neck muscles. After that I thought I noticed swelling in one of the glands in my neck. Thought the worst, of course. It escalated from there and then thought I saw swelling everywhere where a gland might be.

I have calmed down a fair amount since then but now the strain in my front and side neck muscles is constant and even affects my jaw and ears and I have loud tinnitus. The tension in my neck comes and goes and moves around quite a bit and is relieved when I exercise. That alone should tell me that its tension...shouldnt it?

I have another head cold now and all symptoms have been amplified again. Ssince this started, at least 5 GP's have told me that there is nothing serious wrong but the symptoms are hard to ignore. I have asked for a referral to an ENT but that appointment is 6 weeks out (socialized medicine, free but takes forever).

I just hope that with spring and some warm weather and sunshine the symptoms become alleviated.