PDA

View Full Version : Worried about palpitations :(

MelodyMan
17-03-09, 22:38
Hi all.

The other night I went to bed and settled down with a book. Then 20 mins later I had a heart palpitations. I thought "well, i've had one before and everyone gets them now and again" but as I suffer from HA I really worried about it. Anyway they just wouldn't go away, it kept happening every few mins and I started to panic so I called NHS direct who advised me to call the out of hours doctor which I did, then they sent me an ambulance to give me an ECG. They then had to take me to hospital (all the while my palpitaions were still happening at regular intervals) because they found an abnormality with the strobe thingy. about 5 mins before getting to the hospital the palpitations stopped as I calmed down. The palpitaions lasted for about 2 hours in all. I was then wired up and had 3 blood tests taken. They thought it might be high potassium levels which can not be left untreated. The results came back all clear and I was told that I just had a benign episode of palpitaions and that the 'abnormality' on the strobe was normal for my age (i'm 26). I don't really know what that means but I have been worried about it ever since and I have been worried that I'll get more palitations. They are so frightening. I haven't had any since and I don't really think about it during the day but at night when i'm in bed all I do is lie there thinking and worrying about it. Has anyone else ever had palpitations and how long have they lasted?

SocialTool
17-03-09, 23:05
I actually have experienced them quite a few times...I'm close to your age...I'm 28...in fact I just had 3 or 4 in a row about an hour ago and I'm still trying to calm down. they didn't throw me into a full blown panic attack, but it was definately uncomfortable...I just told myself that they would pass and of course they did...I still have the tension from being anxious though...tense shoulders...chest tension...just take deep even breaths and you will calm down....also there is a specific section on this site all about palpitations...I just read it and it helped me out a bit...if you need to chat, I'm here. :)

football12345
18-03-09, 13:30
I get palpitations in bed alot. I used to get them every single night and it was VERY hard to get asleep with them.

I've had various types of palpitations whist in bed, I've had an annoying awareness of my heartbeat, I've gotten palpitations that wake you up just as you're about to go asleep... They are just horrible and so uncomfy to go asleep with. I'm pretty sure it's anxiety though.

I told my doctor about them, and he assured me it was anxiety but he reffered me to a cardiaoligist just incase... So far I've had 2 ECG's, a 24 hour monitor and a heart echo done.

All the ECG's came back clear but a fast heart rate showed up which was because I was anxious at the time of having the tests. I am still waiting for my other results to come back. The cardiaoligist assured me it was anxiety and he said he was 99% sure that there was nothing with with my heart.

The reason I am pretty sure it's anxiety because my 25 year old brother also sufferes with what I'd call mild anxiety, and hr gets the EXACT same palpitations when in bed. It's strange, anxiety is strange.

I wish you all the best!

- Tom.

MelodyMan
18-03-09, 21:46
Thanks ever so much for your replies guys. You have put my mind at ease :)

Take care