PDA

View Full Version : Worrying, depressed, fear of going mad...

eurotrashcub
18-03-09, 15:51
Hello

I am a 29 yo guy and I have been using the forums on and off for about a year now but this last month has been really hard for me, so I thought I would share it to seek some reassurance (as usual) and see if anyone can relate...

I have been taking citalopram for about 7 years now and I am a recovered agoraphobic. O go through stages of worrying about my health, last year I psent a couple of months having tests related to my liver because I had slightly elevated liver enzymes and I was convinced I had cancer... I am sure if you are a but of a hypochondriac you can relate.

I always have residual symptoms (unnecessary worrying about work, relationships, panic attacks now and then, hypochondria, intrusive thoughts (ocd related), and other general anxiety symptoms)

About 4 weeks ago my office was really busy and I heard some whispering (there were plenty of people around talking and the whispering obviously was caused by one of them) and since then I started to worry about 'what if... 'i am actually starting to hear voices and going schizophrenic.

Although I sometimes wonder, I do not think I have actually heard any voices (although a couple of times in my life I think heard my name being called and heard noises/chatter as drifting into and/or out of sleep) but I have read that that is perfectly normal. But i do find myself reading about schizophrenia and its symptoms, reading online blogs of psychotic people, analysing and checking every single noise i hear when i am anxious and wondering if it maybe was in my head and not real (although to date, they all seem to have logical explanations) this seems to happen more often when there are lost of people around. If i am in bed and its all silent, I never hear anything (because obviously nothing is there!)

Anyway, I am driving myself insane checking, worrying, analysing everything and coming to conclusions. Imagining I will have to go into a mental hospital, lose my job, lose my partner, lose my friends and losing all contact with reality, this terrifies me. I am sure many of you know how it feels.

I have seen my GP who told me that he did not think that I was going schizophrenic because people who have that disease do not tend to have insight to their condition and also because my symptoms are consistent with an anxiety and obsessional problem.

I have been referred to see a consultant, however, as he feels that I need some proper assessment and a consultant might want to change my medication and also offer me some CBT.

Anyone going through this or has gone through this in the past? God I need somebody to tell me I am not losing it and I need to believe it!

Ricard