PDA

View Full Version : Tension headaches? dehydration?

Lissy43
18-03-09, 21:48
I started uni last week and ive noticed since going that I am suffering with headaches on and off. The lecture hall is quite hot and humid so I always end up with a stuffy nose, I have sinus issues on and off so I am used to it.

Most nights though my right side feels abit achy and stuffy but it soon eases. Tonight though when I got in my right side of my head/ear/temple really ached and down the back of my head from the crown down, on the right side it felt like i had a brick in it and it hurt if i moved my head suddenly.

I am only sipping small amounts of water in my lectures, I keep forgetting.

What does this sound like? tension? anxiety? dehydration? sinus? I have had a stuffy dry nose since starting uni but ive never had a sinus headache unless ive an actual acute infection, ive no fever with it.

Lately ive noticed my ears feel like they are sometimes swelling up and full of pressure, im sure someone said anxiety can cause this too?

It is worrying me why I am having heads like this, I can't cope with this every day while im in uni.

ubermod
18-03-09, 22:04
hi,

anxiety can cause problems like you are having with your ears, but to me it sounds like you may have a virus (head cold) i had one a while back it made my ears all feel full of preasure and muffled and the sinus problem made my head ache and hurt if i moved it suddenly, i was baffled when the doctor said it was a head cold because i thought i'd have a runny nose and everything else you get with a normal one. mine came on after being in a stuffy room for a few hour like what you are. but i was told at the time stressing would make it alot worse so try not to think to much :) see how you feel in a week if you feel worse pop to ya doctor to put ya mind a rest.

MelodyMan
18-03-09, 22:06
Yeah it definately sound like Tension Headaches! and they are caused by anxiety. I had them constantly for quite a while. My head felt like it was gonna cave in and I had the other symtoms you described too then one day it just went away. I started on anxiety meds soon before they went away so I guess the meds helped. Oh and drinking PLENTY of water. 8 glasses a day on average.

Take care :)

jadeyjade
18-03-09, 22:10
i have them too and im probably about the same age as you as im doing my a levels (im 18). i get this too, if you look at some of the threads ive created maybe you can relate. i blame it all on tension and so does 2 doctors and an eye doctor and mine sounds similar. i dont drink enough water either though as much as i try so im in the same boat as you! sorry i cant be more helpful but its nice to know you're not alone sometimes :)

LisaLisa
19-03-09, 12:42
Aimee

I appear to have all the same prob as you but my sinus problem has not been quite as bad as yours. I had a cold virus thing just after I had my baby in October and the horrible pain and green ( yuk) was there then. I didnt see Dr because thought it was just a bad cold and it seemed to go away. I have been having the baloon ear thing for a long time and one time two years ago I woke up with absolutely no balance and couldnt even walk. The Dr said it was Labarynthitis and gave me antihistamine?!?! apparently thats what they give you. Anyway it was gone the next day. More recently I went back to the Dr because of pain in my face and she told me that I was grinding my teeth at night. Very recently the tension type headache thing has started in the back of my neck spreading into my temples and the top of my head. I also have little swollen glands in my neck which are always there, dont know if you have had this problem too? Do you have any period issues?

I have a dry mouth, mostly at one side and think my eyes are dry because they run inthe wind and often look red.

Also often get upset tummy but just lower, doesnt make me throw up or anything.

Lisa xx

CJH86
19-03-09, 12:58
Sounds very much like congestion related issues, Tension headache is generally not only on one side of the head and feels like a tight band/dull ache. Pain in the back of the neck has quite a strong association with sinus problems.....do you take any nasal spray? as you mentioned you are aware your nose stuffs up in humidity.

I have to say since having a flu bug in december ive had a similar thing.....my inner ear has been dodgy and ive had a lot of pressure/pain around my head caused by my ears (it feels like im descending on an aeroplane constantly!)...also my nose blocks up a lot. Ive been to the docs once or twice and they've said steam inhaelation and sudafed (The pharmacy stuff not the supermarket strength) x

Lissy43
20-03-09, 08:35
thankd for ur replies.

I do hav sinus issues but dont have that pain all the time, it had gone yesterday.

Could tension or deydration be one sided pain?

LisaLisa
20-03-09, 10:38
Aimee

I just wrote a big reply and computer messed up, so here goes again!

I have exactly the same headache as you two days ago and it went away with paracetamol and a sleep. I had not eaten all day and just started 7 bay break in pills and my office was really hot and stuffy and had drank far too much coffee. I asked my brother and he described exactly the same thing very much more sore at one side . He said he often gets it especially if he is stressed or tired , drinks too much coffee.....

Have you just started a university course and you have young kids too? You are super woman! I have a four and a half month little girl and I struggle to do normal daily stuff!! Well done you, no wonder your poor head sore sometimes!

Lisa
x

Lissy43
20-03-09, 19:54
Hi Lisa,

Yes I have 3 young children, its hard to juggle esp when they are ill like they all have been this week with sickness and high temps but ive managed:-)

So do you and your brother get them one sided??

Thanks for replying:-)

vh
20-03-09, 19:58
It probably is anxiety however I have many friends who say that when your body is dehydtrated it sends out messages to the rest of your body...try to tell yourself that you are dehydrated and just drink loads of water as you really don't want to go down the root of feeling anxious and het up and fretting that there is something wrong with you...not an expert or anything and I should really practise what I preace!!x

justbananas
23-03-09, 03:33
i get right one-sided headaches .. what helped me realize it was anxiety was when i got a masseuse to do full massage on my head and neck and there were actually knotted up muscle tissues/fibers on my head/temple area and doing the massage completely alleviated the headache. it's always one-sided though .. i've come to accept it as anxiety which actually helps lessen the aching as well.

LisaLisa
23-03-09, 09:46
Hi Lisa,

Yes I have 3 young children, its hard to juggle esp when they are ill like they all have been this week with sickness and high temps but ive managed:-)

So do you and your brother get them one sided??

Thanks for replying:-)

Yes, he gets them all the time and so does my dad apparently, seems common toget them at one side.

Hows this kids today?

Lisa
x