PDA

View Full Version : my husband almost died of an overdose last week

mummy4
19-03-09, 20:50
im posting on this forum as i suffer panic attacks and anxiety and since last week its gone through the roof :(
on 8th march my husband locked himself in the bathroom and took over 100 tablets he was in intensive care for 3 days and almost died.
hes now recovering at home.
we were chatting last night and he said hes glad hes still alive but its tempting for him to do it again :ohmy: i was shocked he even said this i hardly slept last night through fear he would do it again :(

Void123
19-03-09, 20:59
Why did you overdose? and it might be a good idea to phone the hospital and tell them that your husband said he might try to kill himself again and they would come around and put your husband into (sorry i cant think of the name) a safe area where he can get psychiatric help and they can keep a 24 hour watch on him so that should ease your stress but im so sorry your husband did something drastic instead of talking to you about it :bighug1:

suzy-sue
20-03-09, 00:18
Im sorry for you both.Your husband sounds very depressed and i would urge you to speak to your Dr a.s.a.p.,has your husband got a c.p.n.?if so i would ring them also and explain your concerns.You cannot be expected to cope with this on your own ,its obviously having a detrimental effect on your health .What about members of your family? could someone come round for a while and stay with your husband whilst you had a rest,? I agree with the last post,about your husband being placed in a safe place and monitored,he should be assesed and kept in hospital until he has stabilised,Its hard enough managing life with anxiety and panic without this terrible burden and worry.:hugs: all the best sue

purplehaze
20-03-09, 00:47
There are times when people go into dark places in their own mind and that can push us over the limit. There is in most cases a reason why someone decides to take their life and its getting to the root of the problem. I agree with those above and its important you both seek support. This will have be a difficult time for you as well and you really need to talk to someone.

Dont hide this away and open up to others

hugs

kev

Sinatra877
20-03-09, 01:10
I would highly recommend him getting treatment in a 24/7 environment. It won't go away unless he is given treatment for the root of his depression.

Southern_Belle
20-03-09, 01:25
Hi,

I am so sorry you are having to both go through all this and I agree with the others that your husband needs further treatment immediately. I would contact the doctor that he saw in the hospital or contact his GP that he normally sees as soon as possible. I hope he continues to have open communication with you and wish both of you all the best.

Take care,

Laura

Nicola_lou
20-03-09, 22:55
I can't imagine what u are going through being unwell urself
With anxiety is hard enough.
I do agree with the rest and ur probable still undecided on what to
Do cause he convided in you. But if u don't seek help and he did do it
Again then ull be in a worse state. It better to have him angry at u if u do
Tell someone then not have him at all.

Best of luck to both of you and I sure that u will both make a full recovery with
The right help.

mummy4
20-03-09, 23:04
thanks for your replys
i went to see hubbys doc with him yesterday. hubby admitted to gp its tempting to do it again and gp said nothing about it whatsoever :ohmy:
he signed him off work til a week mon and he has to go back to see gp on that monday to let him know how hes feeling.
my anxiety has been the worst today its been for a while :weep: plus i have 4 kids to look after and our youngest is only 9 weeks old x

Nicola_lou
21-03-09, 03:54
You have so much on ur plate ur a strong woman to have managed through
These hard times. I was going to ask you how u have been cause u do need to
Look after yourself to your the rock of ur family. And the situation ur in it is understandable
Making anxiety worse.
I hope u feel a little better by the doctor but if ur not satafied book in with another doctor,
Its no harm in it.
Maybe ur husband could register on this site and maybe meet people that feel like
Him to cause it does sometimes help when someone as been there and can relate.
Let us no how you get on, and take care.

mummy4
21-03-09, 08:41
thanks for your kind words nicola
i actually have an appointment on monday to ask for my cipralex to be upped from 5mg-10mg as i just feel very anxious and panicky a lot more than usual lately
i have suggested to hubby he comes on this site or one similar but hes not at all interested so dont know how else i can help him other than be there to listen and to talk to him x

Nicola_lou
21-03-09, 19:20
You are helping him a great deal he may seek comfort in talking to u
As he have been if that is wrking for him then great. Its good he's letting
The emotion out by talking to u that on its on will take a weight off his shoulders.

U may feel helpless but your doing brilliant from what I heard. And ur seeing ur doc to
Tell him how u feel get it off ur chest u.
Whenever u need to chat give me a bell.
Take care.

maddie
22-03-09, 12:01
Hello. I would urge you to contact MIND for assistance - look for your local branch on this link http://www.mind.org.uk/index.htm
People who try to commit suicide are in a black place and do need help. They can also be very manipulative. You have a huge amount on your hands with your own anxiety, 4 children and hormones all over the place since the birth of your last. Maybe your hubbie is crying out for attention, but doesn't know how to do it in a more mature way. That's not to blame you, but perhaps he would be open to talking about that. Whatever his reasons, he needs help.

finny12000
22-03-09, 12:18
hi mummy
Well done for coping with all this as it seems a huge burden is being
placed upon your shoulders and your a star for even getting this far.
Has your hubby depression,anxiety what caused him to take overdose?
was drink involved when he actually took tablets as i done it once when drunk for no unknown reason other than being drunk
To be fair you have a hell of a lot on your plate and getting to bottom of all this with him could be key to starting your recovery
you keep us posted as you have plenty support on here and
tell him there are ppl on here that can chat to him no probs
even in pm id be willing to chat to him
well done you anyhow for being strong xx

mummy4
22-03-09, 13:27
thanks again for the lovely messages and support.
im just left feeling like i have no choice but to be the rock of my family right now.
a few days before he took overdose i told him i would be better off as a single mum as he works such long hours (it was said in the heat of the moment) and this he says is the reason he done it he said if he couldnt have me he would rather die.
no alcohol was consumed he never ever drinks x
the past few days ive felt terrible very on edge shakey head all over the place and dizzy spells and i cant go into a supermarket right now as my anxiety is just to bad i just want it all to get better :(

samc100
23-03-09, 12:49
I am not surprised you feel so dreadful.
Have you seen the Dr today (I think you were seeing them on Monday)
Please empathise that you need help for your family now.

If no joy please give the Samaratians a call for some guidance and to let you let off steam.

Hugs xxxxx