PDA

View Full Version : Should I push for CBT, a blood test or just take the medication?

Phoenix24
20-03-09, 20:01
Hi,
I'm new so I'm sorry if I should have put this in as part of the other threads, please let me know if I should have done it a different way. One of the forums I used in the past for something different asked you to go through all the relevant threads to see if your answer was there before posting something but this is a bit specific.

I've just been prescribe Citalopram which I haven't started taking yet. I'm a bit against anti depressants for myself after a really bad experience with Seroxat about 8 years ago. I'm scared to start taking it and may have come up with another way but wanted to ask some advice. I've started having nightmares since I agreed to take them.

My best friends wedding is in a weeks time and she doesn't know how bad thing have got and I don't want to add to her worries. I'm concerned that if I start the meds now and I get drowsy on them my best friend will end up with a zombie maid of honour.

I'm wondering if I should suggest CBT to my GP as an alternative, I can't help feeling that I would feel ten times better if I could alter the way I think about things. A friend of mine also suggested that because it's always so much worse around a certain week of the month that maybe a hormone imbalance is playing a big part and that perhaps I should ask for a blood test to check my hormone levels.

Does anyone have any advice at all? My doctor's lovely but I find going to the doctors about this really stressful and I've got myself worked up about it all. I'm sorry if this is all long winded.

Thanks,
Nic
:scared15:

Kay-Tee
20-03-09, 23:09
Hello I've been prescribed sertraline to keep my depression at bay and to keep me on an even keel, during the dreaded menstrual cycle. I used to get really hyper at a certain time of the month, quite shirty and argumentative, I was a pain in the ?****? Now I have been taking sertraline 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening, so far I seem to be O.K. Although I cannot drink while on this medicine, otherwise it throws me into a real wobbily. I'm having a blood test on monday to check over all the main body functions and in particular to see if I am perimenopausal, as I get really knackered at that time of the month and everything is delayed by 1 week to 10 days each month, which is a real bind. I tried CBT and all the other usual suspects, but all I achieved was to empty my wallet. Taking Sertraline for me has really improved my life, especially now that I have gotten over beating myself up for having to take an anti-depressant. I realise now it does not mean I am any less of a person. Hope I have been able to offer some useful advice.
Best wishes.
Kay-Tee
P.S I forgot to say my main therapy is my new 9 week old labrador retriever puppy, who looks alot like my signature picture, she convinces me everything is alright with the world, just by her unconditional acceptance of me.

pete69
21-03-09, 10:33
hi phoenix24,
firstly welcome to board.
ok imo i dont think you have an imbalance,i may be very wrong but people i.e women who suffer with nerves also have very bad time durng there period,its all part of the anxiety state -ok a blood test wont take long and will tell u yes or no.

could you ask for gp for some diazepam just to get you through your friends wedding,then afterwards concentrate on finding a cbt therapist,i.e get referred by gp. i wouldnt pay for a private cbt as results can be hit n miss it depends how much you put into it yourself ,i had a nhs one and she ws very good.

re the anti depressants-i cant advice on this as i have had great times on seroxat a few years ago and now any AD i try makes my anxiety sky high-i feel like i had my time and should have stayed on seroxat-you had a bad time on it so we are all different-sometimes you have to suck n see,if it dont agree you try another.

but the first thng you have to address is the wedding and stopping yourself gettng in a panic-ask for the diazepam-low dose he may gve it to you-depends what his views on tranx are.

good luck
pete

Phoenix24
06-04-09, 16:25
Hi,
thank you so much for your help. I thought I would let you know that I actually enjoyed the wedding, if anything, it was like a break from feeling like a coiled spring all the time. There weren't nearly as many people as I was expecting and they were all people I had met before (although that doesn't necessarily make a difference). I only had one tearful morning and that was after the hen night.

I spoke to my doctor before I went away and we discussed my hormones. I said the tablets were an absolute last resort and that maybe,if I can get my moods around my cycle sorted out, then maybe I can learn to manage the anxiety and depression without having to go onto the citalopram. He agreed it might be a possibility and is trying me with a different pill that should fit my cycle better. I won't see much change for a while but you never know.

I feel so much better for the break and I was actually brave enough to tell one of my friends whilst I was over there what was going on and he's been great. :)

Thanks again for everything
Nic

NoPoet
06-04-09, 17:46
Another No More Panic victory :D

Well done!