PDA

View Full Version : breathing trouble anxiety. need tips

Nicola_lou
20-03-09, 19:48
I've been to see the doc lost count how many times. I've been wrking all this wk and haven't
Felt to bad. Until last nt when I was waking gasping for air again last nt it happened before
And developed into me watching my breathing through the day and I think I tend to
Hold my breath then I think 2.
I feel awful I got the flu and with a block nose and bad chest its freeking me out, I
Feel like I'm not breathing or don't breathing tidy.
I've tried breathing excercises but make me feel worse. Is there something else I
Can do? Like things I shouldn't eat.

medsec27
20-03-09, 20:07
Hi
This happens to me too. I have noticed it only happens when I am worried about something or feeling anxious. I wake up gasping for air and then lie awake too frightened to go back to sleep in case it happens again. It wasn't until my dr told me that it was a panic attack whilst I was sleeping and that it was nothing to do with anything else, that I have been more able to live with them. Still find them horrible and they do un-nerve me, but once I have had one, I sleep on my back and sort of half sit up. They tend to happen more when I am lying on my side. Always have a glass of water next to my bed too. Try a relaxation CD before you go to sleep. This works quite well for me at times. They aren't nice though and worse thing is other half sleeps right through them!!

Nicola_lou
20-03-09, 20:27
Have u found anything that helps. My doc told me it
Was sleeping apean excuse spelling. U stop breathing when
Ur sleeping and wake up cause of it. I have it and it frightens me
To death so much I worry throughout the day about breathing.

MoodyBlue
20-03-09, 20:46
Hi, if your doctor thinks you have sleep apnea has she referred you for tests, whereby they monitor you over night? I have two friends who have sleep apnea and they both have breathing devices to be used whilst they are asleep.

Nicola_lou
21-03-09, 02:11
No she just said see how it goes cause it only been happening 2 mths
And she said that people only have it seen to cause they don get a tidy
Sleep and r tired all day. And that its not dangerous.
I told her its affecting me physiclogically cause of through the day
She just said its understandable but offered no help.

medsec27
21-03-09, 21:37
I went to see GP about it cos I was worried it was an illness too, but he told me he didn't think it was sleep apneo(??) and that with my history it was a panic attack while I was sleeping. I googled it and found a lot of people that suffer similar things at night. My mum had anxiety attacks for years, as did my nan and both of them had similar experiences. I think maybe your GP has made you more worried by telling you it is sleep apnea without having you investigated. I am not a doctor, but it might be worth getting a second opinion if you are really worried and struggling with it. The only thing I have found that helped were the relaxation CD's, sitting more upright when I sleep and knowing I have something to drink if it does happen. It actually happened to me the other day while I was having acupuncture and lying on my side - was only dozing, but knew I was a bit tense, so put it down to that. I was on some medication for a number of years and they stopped while on this. Can't take it at moment as pregnant It does scare me, but I try to remember that the GP said it is anxiety and nothing serious. I really think you need some reassurance as to what it causing it. If it is anxiety, you might find it less scary to deal with. Really hope you can find something that helps you.

so jems like
21-03-09, 22:39
I used to have like major anxiety, and the breathing problem was something that was a problem for me. I eventually got used to it though. It would stay with me for like couple days and even a few weeks. But it always went away after a certain amount of time. don't worry about it. try not eating so much to the point where you are really full. Try drinking a lot of water or just something fresh. Fruits or veggies is always a good choice. Breathing also always bothered me whenever I was sitting or not doing anything active. Going for a walk, or even a run gave me more energy and helped me. Just go out for some fresh air or move around your house. Whenever I would sleep, my breathing was always harder for me. It felt like I was breathing through a straw or it just felt like I had no air to breathe. I found that elevating my head helped when I slept, or even sleeping on my side. I also found putting both my arms up helped me sleep better. Sounds strange, but it helped for me.

Overall, don't worry :)
Try not concentrating so much on your breathing!

Nicola_lou
23-03-09, 01:50
Hi thanks everyone. I got the flu at the moment so won't
Be doing 2 much. Its nice to no that people have suffered
With their breathing before and got over it. Face the fear I
Suppose. I've never concentrated on my breathing before
And it frightens me that we have to continuously breath silly I no.
But because its one of my fears its always there I had this fear for 3 mths
Now since I was rushed into hospital couldn't breath. How long does
The fear last

mickh555
23-03-09, 03:21
I used to get that in the night.I would jump up out of bed gasping for breath.Scared my ex wife to death !!Like all my other symptoms it went away .I think there is only so many times you can get THAT scared before your mind tells you to behave..

Nicola_lou
23-03-09, 14:48
I don think I can cope anymore I woke up again in a panic attack and since
I woke up I've been wattchching myt breathing again. Thinking I'm going to
Stop breathing. I just don no what to do

schwarav
24-03-09, 03:00
I have a deviated septum. It is where I can't breath out of my left nostril. I would say about 90% blocked. This is a huge source of anxiety for me, not being able to breath. Trust me, I've been there, done that. It's not fun/