PDA

View Full Version : Google diagnosis.

WILLIAMthedude
21-03-09, 14:23
Suffering from an anxiety condition during the winter is pretty terrible. Such a depressing time. I'm glad summer is almost here, clocks forward Sunday 29th!

Ever heard of temporal arteritis? I hadn't until today, when I was searching for an explanation for a pain in my leg. I reviewed the symptoms and I could check yes for almost all of them. It is one of my problems, anxiety symptoms match so many other symptoms and I'm always assuming the worst or trying to find the most nasty condition to satisfy my fears. Then I feel like running to the doctors, or dishing out £200 for the private consultant so they can run the tests.

Truth is I've already spent over a grand on tests and I've only been suffering since April 12th last year... It'll soon be the anniversary! I'm feeling better though, I used to ache, headaches all the time, but now the symptoms are less intense and I'm managing.

I still think I'm cheating death from time to time but I'm getting there.

I just hate the wave of power loss that overcomes me from time to time, its like...I feel a sensation, worry about it then I will gradually lose the will to stand or hold my head up, I just go limp until I can get myself together.

So... Can anyone relate?

AND

On the topic of anniversaries can anyone tell me when their condition first started and what triggered it?

All the best.

Pink Panic
21-03-09, 15:27
Hi William

I can relate to a lot of what you say. I too suffer from weakness in my legs or 'jelly legs' and although I know it's a classic anxiety symptom sometimes I somethimes still manage to convince myself that's it's something more sinister like MS. :ohmy:

These sensations are truly horrible but that's all they are ..... just sensations and although they are totally uncomfortable they can't harm us.

It's good to read that you are feeling better and your symptoms are less intense as this means that you are on the road to recovery. :D

All the best to you in your continued recovery.:hugs:

PP
xxx

21-03-09, 16:04
Hola!

Yes, I totally get all of that stuff too.. What I did to help my self was put a block to all the medical diagnostic sites. I didn't block google because i mean that's a good refrence for college classes haha. I'd fail english with out it.

But anywho try to remember that the sensations you get are all in your head. "The mind is a powerful thing" is a quote that is 100% true. They don't say whatever you believe you'll put your mind to for a reason. If you want to think about your head hurting the neurons and other aspects of the brain will work together so that feeling will come. It's quiet intresting but yet so scary to those who suffer from anxiety problems like us.

When those types of thoughts come, think about something else. I know easier said than done, right? Not really! =]
When I feel that strange sensation going on like something is about to happen, I think about things that make me laugh. It can be anything from a hilarious clip in a movie. (mine was often the watersucks verse in the waterboy), or something you've experienced (mine was the time my brother sent a pool stick through the roof).

It's easier for you because your the male kind. Us females def feel like theres something wrong with us when it's that time of the month. SOOO many hormones rushing through our bodies during five days can make your mind feel like your having ovarian cancer, to some unknown brain disease because your just sooooo tired and burnt out from the mensturation.

If you ever need to talk, send a pm over my way!

Another thing you could do is get off the computer, and enjoy a nice walk. Sunshine or not!! =]

WILLIAMthedude
21-03-09, 16:40
Appreciate the feedback so far, its nice finding that reassurance that you're not alone.

I will soon be out, got a party to attend soon, one of my uni friends has "an empty" so that should be interesting.

I remember when my attacks came, after a night of heavy drinking and walking into a door head first I remember worrying and stressing out about coursework and my brother was drilling me for my lack of commitment to the course. I then began to feel strange the next day, kinda lethargic and weak, I then attributed it all to the head injury, which was only a tiny pink spot but I thought the worst. Worried constantly, had had CT and MRI scans done... I was fine and skint...

Still battling symptoms, I've always been very energetic and creative/expressive, which I turned into a negative force that really had my personality shot. I was a different personal for a while...but now I'm more lively and brighter.

...The positive was I lost two stone, went from 13 stone to 11 stone in eight weeks, which is alright for a 6' chap like myself... although I'm more like 12stone 7lbs now >.<

Better weather will have me out more though.

S'all good.

I'll cue the comical memories for the next dodgy spell I have. :D

Nechtan
21-03-09, 17:54
Hi William,

Best to stay well clear of google as it only gives you alternatives you don't need to be thinking about. I used to worry myself sick when I googled which is actually what brought me here. And this forum was a god send. Here I could search for symptoms and find answers from other people with anxiety problems. By doing this I was able to see the links with anxiety and that puts your mind at ease much more than a google search.

Good news about the weight gain. I'm a couple of inches taller and was half a stone heavier but lost well over a stone quickly too a couple of years ago. It made a physical difference that people commented on- especially about how much thinner my face had got. That is a very hard thing to deal with mentally. If someone put on 2 stone people don't say "hey you look fatter" but if you lose it then they have no problem commenting which has the same mental effect. This is another part of anxiety that doctors should warn us about as that alone can give us constant anxiety. I have learned now not to weigh myself as it can become an obsession.

All the best

Nechtan