PDA

View Full Version : propanal beta blockers. 2nd day and i am in a state

Nicola_lou
21-03-09, 23:56
My second day on beta blocker ands tonight I've got anxiety from top
To bottom, I'm shaking scared I've taken my sleeping tablet amitripline
To calm me but now I'm tired I'm to scared to go to sleep.
Everytime I just start to feel heavy and drifting off the thought come
Am I breathing ok, I'm trying my best not 2 panic. I got bad pain in chest
And arm again, another bad nt.

I'm trying to get on utube to listen to the relax tapes but signal down. I got
Work in the morning I don no what to do with myself. But I will never ever
Takes meds again

MOZZY
22-03-09, 07:16
Hi sorry you had a bad night. I had really bad side effects on propanal they just made my panic attacks worse. You made need to try another type of med as they dont do the same for everybody. Im not on any meds as unfortunately ive had really bad side effects on most and now to scared to try anymore. They all made me really depressed. hope you start to feel better soon.:)

bishops
22-03-09, 10:25
I took them and got the same, went back to Doc and she gave me prozac which has very little side effects but takes ages to kick in. Had two years of it and it Worked. However been off them for four years and the PA have returned so Doc has put me back on them. Go back to your Doc and explain you are not happy and want to try another med or direction, and if you are not happy with your Doc change them, i did and got one that was ok

Nicola_lou
22-03-09, 14:51
Prozac ill ask them thanks. I got the flu at the moment I don't no if my
Chest is like this from the flu or them tablets. It feels like its caving in

CJH86
22-03-09, 16:44
Hi, beta blockers can make you feel a bit odd at first, shaking is a pretty common side effect....shouldnt be causing the chest pain tho so maybe that is the flu bug, i know my chest feels like that when i get the flu and also feels like im not breathing enough. You wont be able to take prozac and amtriptyline together as they interact, but there is other options so speak to Gp about it :)

Nicola_lou
22-03-09, 16:58
Hi yeah I have got the flu the bad one when u can just about walk
To the loo without collasping.
And I'm trying my best not to panic or freek out cause I do feel like I
Cant get enough oxygen in and it hurts my chest when I breath... so I'm hoping
Ill be ok, I freek out about breathing away now I got the flu god help me.

Nicola_lou
22-03-09, 17:02
Hi sorry. Prozac what is it. Is it like citroplam cause I've had bad side
Effects off that 2

CJH86
22-03-09, 19:23
Prozac is in the same class of drug as citalopram, but they are slightly different and not everybody who has bad side effects with one will have bad side effects with the other.

Nicola_lou
22-03-09, 21:13
Ok thanks

shortstuff
22-03-09, 22:12
The side effects off Propranolol usually take a couple of weeks to get out of your system. I found them really effective after the side effects had gone (I had shakes, disorientation, increased anxiety on them to begin with). In the end though, they didn't agree with me and agoravated my hayfever to the point of causing respiratory distress. They are not recommended for anyone with asthma (sp) as they do the opposite of an inhaler! Ride it out for a couple of weeks if you can but keep an eye on the chest pain.

snowdrop
22-03-09, 22:39
Hi Nicola

They did exactly the same to me aswell, its like they made my blood pressure drop dramatically and my panic attacks were more intense than ever on these.

I just wanted to say if you have the flu its a virus which gets into the lungs, thats why it makes you feel very ill and if you have shortness of breath you should get this checked to be on the safe side. My own anxiety rocketed during and after the flu.

x

Nicola_lou
23-03-09, 00:07
I have tried but I really can't ride it out. I was hallusinating my anxiety
Was so intense and the same today I feel unreal.
I'm willing to try anything at the moment and bk at the depressed stage
When u just want to be normal again
I've phone hypnostics but their 60 pound a sesson

fitza88
09-05-11, 16:29
I had terrible effects with propranalol on the 2nd day and ended up causing a scene on my uni campus as i thought i was dying...my body slowed down but mentally i was faster than lightening. my Dr told me to stop taking them straight away as they affected my ability to walk. It has really put me off trying a new drug.

Tyke
09-05-11, 19:55
You guys were really unlucky with Propranolol. I've had it twice (still on it now) and haven't had any problems. I found it quite good at reducing physical anxiety symptoms. Didn't change anything in my head though. I found I would mentally panic and then be surprised the body wasn't panicking with it!

Tyke

freya
09-05-11, 22:04
i've also had no problems what so ever with propranolol, despite people warning me about side effects, like they may affect my asthma i decided i would try it anyway as i cant bear these panic attacks any more, and was becoming fearful of going out of my house. i guess all our bodies are different, and so our reactions are different too x

Worryaboutworrying
13-05-11, 14:55
My second day on beta blocker ands tonight I've got anxiety from top
To bottom, I'm shaking scared I've taken my sleeping tablet amitripline
To calm me but now I'm tired I'm to scared to go to sleep.
Everytime I just start to feel heavy and drifting off the thought come
Am I breathing ok, I'm trying my best not 2 panic. I got bad pain in chest
And arm again, another bad nt.

I'm trying to get on utube to listen to the relax tapes but signal down. I got
Work in the morning I don no what to do with myself. But I will never ever
Takes meds again

Hi Nicola,

Dont bother with them! I used to take them and I felt like they didnt help me either. The doctor said to me that they gave them to snooker players to stop the shakes.

You will be fine, and they dont work right away anyway I dont think, those sorts of things take a few weeks to get into your system.

I went to A&E one day I felt so bad - same things as you pains in arms and chest ect and the doc at A&E said why has your doctor given you these, you don't need them. (Talk about a contraction)

When I got into bed at night I kept having convulsions, and this actually has carried on - not every night but when I am stressed I start having convulsions when I try to go to sleep. - anyway I went back to my doctor and told him that I didn't want to take medication because I was quite hung up on the fact that I thought that it would change my personality, so he sent me off for counselling which I really do recommend, the lady that I had was wonderful. I still am suffering with anxiety now but now I know how to deal with it. Don't get me wrong it doesn't always work, I am like you listening to relaxation music on youtube... one night I had whale sounds on! My boyfriend said it was scary - but I found it relaxing!!:roflmao:

I hope you feel better soon, dont let it drag you down. Plus its the weekend xxx

amandaj
13-05-11, 17:29
im on propranolol and i dont know what id do without them, guess like all meds we are all effected in different ways these have been my life saver lately,there other beta blockers dr can let you try i think maybe worth a word with them good luck
amandaxx