PDA

View Full Version : i dont have depression?

denise84
02-08-05, 18:17
my doctor prescribed me with anti depressants today. but i dont think im depressed, im happy most times and i always laugh, well most of the time, she said i wasnt coping with the home and kids, and that i need alittle help in coping but i am coping my kids are well looked after and my house is always clean but she said my mood swings and my emotional state means im depressed. is she right or am i just going mad?

dmcgovern

seh1980
02-08-05, 18:24
I guess only you know how you feel Denise. If you don't feel depressed and think you are fine, then don't take the meds. If you think you need a little help, take them..Where did the GP get the idea that you suffer from mood swings?

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

denise84
02-08-05, 19:07
hi, i told the doctor that my partner reckons my moodswngs are a little over the top and that im way too sensitive even when it comes to very minor things. i dont want to take the meds but im affraid that if i realy am depressed then it will get worse if i dont take the meds/

dmcgovern

Meg
02-08-05, 19:54
There are a variety of free online depression scoring tests.
You could try doing a few of those and seeing what the consensus is ....

He should have done a depression scoring sheet with you at the surgery before dishing them out ..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
02-08-05, 20:03
There is one of these tests here (http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?id=973&type=doc&cn=Depression%20(Unipolar)).

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

alexis
02-08-05, 21:38
O heck Ive just done that and I am according to that severely depressed but I thought I was getting better.

Hi Denise, if I didnt think I was depressed I wouldnt take the medication, I certainly knew when I was at my lowest, even if I denied it, I walked around for weeks with the prescription in my bag but really I was relieved somebody was helping me.My gp asked me so many questions I was becoming baffled I suppose these would be off the sheet Meg is on about.
Probably not a useful answer but keep going and go bak if your not happy, Love Alexis,xx

Meg
02-08-05, 22:16
Alexis - do several as some mark really hard as they are a drug company sponsored site so touting for business .

Also think of the degree you're affected by the thing- not if you ever get it . Thats we all do sometimes

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
02-08-05, 22:28
I agree it is a good idea to compare a few.

There is a list of tests here (http://www.depression-recovery-life.com/online-depression-test.html).

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

alexis
02-08-05, 22:34
Hi Meg I dont usually do any because I know how i feel, I just was interested to have a go at one, as throughout this i have had an obsession with lists and writing things down.thought tick list might tell me Im ok
As far as being a drug company they would be wasting their time as far as Im concerned as it took me all my time to take tabs prescribed from a trusted gp so I would NEVER get from anyone else.Im not sure if I want to do any more if they tell me Im severely depressed as I am convinced I am getting better despite the Rod blip at the moment. thanks as always Meg, Love Alexis,xx

Meg
02-08-05, 22:41
Hi Alexis

**I am convinced I am getting better **

We see this too !! Huge strides at times and gentle ones at others .

Sometimes, we just have to stand still too on a plateau and not push forward constantly. Somethings are too overwhelming to do all at once.

You're doing well Alexis

Love
Meg

alexis
02-08-05, 22:48
Meg i will maybe pm you as I feel its not fair to do my replies here, I do not have time to stand still which is half my problem.i need to be cured by yesterday, I will write soon, thanks love Alexis,x

sal
03-08-05, 00:00
Hi Denise

Welcome to the site, i dont suppose your doctor was judging you at all but wanted to give you some support. Maybe she was over sensitive but only you will know that hun and i hope if you need us you will let us know.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Piglet
03-08-05, 11:09
Hi Denise

Nice chatting the other night in chatroom.

I remember my Gp once saying anxiety is a form of depression as I didnt think I was depressed but just anxious (I felt if I cried it was only through fear not cos I was actually sad).

I have felt pretty low on ocassion and that is quite different from anxiety symptoms but I can see where he was coming from ie; anxiety is only one form of depression.

Not sure quite what to say really as its always been anxiety thats been my main prob. I did take Prozac for 3 months initially which I had no bad reaction to and did seem to help.

Maybe from what you said to her she thinks you have a form of depression. Did the tests suggested by the others help you form an opinion at all. Meg had a point about some of the tests being hard because supported by drug companies!!!

Lots of love

Piglet

denise84
03-08-05, 16:08
hi i done a quesrtionaire and its says im moderatly depressed. thats what doc basicly said anyway. thanx for your help guys.x.

dmcgovern