PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Fluoxetine

MVP123
23-03-09, 12:30
Hi, has anyone changed from Citalopram to Fluoxetine with any success stories. When I was first ill 7 or 8 months ago I was prescribed Fluoxetine but after about 8 weeks I thought they weren't doing nothing for me so another doc switched me to citalopram which I had been taking for about 4 months but I felt they were making me feel even worse with having a constant weird head. Anyway I asked the doc to put me back on fluoxetine as I felt that I had't give them a longer chance to work. Has anybody else done this and if so did it work??

Juppster
24-03-09, 08:37
Hey

I was on Citalopram for 8 months and although they helped alot with the anxiety i felt they were making me feel more depressed so have been switched to fluoxetine....i am 3 1/2 weeks into taking 20mgs and although most of the side effects are diminishing, the depression is taking its time to lift...having good days and bad days but im still very early into taking it so live in hope! One good thing is that the anxiety seems to be pretty under control....good luck:winks:

frosty
24-03-09, 08:43
Heya, have only been recently diagnosed with panic disorder. Thought i was losing it again after i thought the citalopram was making the symptoms worse. Doctor says i need to keep on it for another few weeks to give it a chance. so will see what happens. Good to know that there are other options out there and that its not only me that thinks that the citalopram makes things worse.

sharona
24-03-09, 08:51
Hi
I was the same as you, they switched my tabs, have good and bad days but just got to try the new tabs to see if they work.

Good luck, keep me posted.

Sharon :)

paw_prints
03-06-09, 22:49
I used to take Citalopram as well. The first week was horrid. By week 4, I was doing well. With an increase to 30 mg, I started having manic episodes and asked to be switched back to fluoxetine. This my 7th day at 20 mg. I am having a bit of breakthrough anxiety and really wish that the diarrhea would stop.

pieball86
04-06-09, 08:27
they will make ur symtoms worse frosty my wife was put on ciprimal for panic atacks for the first month she had them a few times a day when before she was taking them it was only occasionaly but ni there helping a treat,ive been changed from ciprimal to fluoxetine just yesterday because the ciprimal arnt working anymore im bein treated for ocd

Cakey
12-09-09, 23:52
I was on Citalopram and felt it made me more anxious so during an unexpected admittance to hospital I stopped taking it (I kept forgetting to ask people to bring them in!). To be honest I felt better having not taken them, however after a few days I felt baaaad so now I'm on Fluoxetine (and to be honest I didn't know it was Prozac!!!!!!!) but it's too early to say whether they're helping or not. But I thought citalopram was good initially but then lost it's sparkle!!

Kabuki
14-09-09, 14:57
I took Prozac from 1996 to 1999 and the first 2 years were incredible and completely anxiety free. I actually thought I was cured and then they stopped working. I then was switched around to different meds and ended up taking Citalopram together with a tricyclic antidepressant. I had 6 perfect, panic free years, then again, all of a suddden, it stopped working. I will now be going back on the Prozac. Even though I really didn't have any side effects to either the Prozac or the Citalopram, I've now got it in my head that I'm going to this time around and am terrified.

PanicOver!!
14-09-09, 15:23
Hi

I spent a few months on citalopram but they made me feel worse
been on Fluoxatine now about 3 months and i feel fine for the most part certainly worked for me, does take a while to kick in though

mo-cadbird
29-09-09, 09:50
hi,

I've was on citalopram for 9mths and found even with upped dosage all my symtoms were comming back, so I now been on flouxetine for 2 weeks, my mood still really low most of the time but i am able to function, so it must be doing something i guess, but the upset stomache is really ****inf me off ,has anyone else has simalar, and how long does it last????:weep:

eastender24
12-11-09, 01:15
no upset stomach, makes me sweat thought !

tommo
14-11-09, 08:36
I changed from cit to flu because the cit seemed to be buggering up my sexual function... not sure if the flu is any good, but sexual function is marginally better...

vsf
19-03-11, 13:37
I was on Prozac and moved to citalipram as i thought the prozac were giving my tummy troubles. Now looking back citalpram were good they calmed me down made me feel less stressed but too relaxed id say!! I moved back to prozac 3 weeks ago because the citalipram was making me put on weight and my goodness did it, i have weight issues and its a visus circle. Well i feel awful soo stressed not sure if its because im having to much prozac or wether i actually need them at all now, was on 40mg of citalipram now on 40mg of prozac