PDA

View Full Version : I have had to have blood tests today

Lissy43
23-03-09, 13:14
I went to see my GP today, feeling very under the weather. Sinus problems, nose bleeding, fatigue, nausea, raised glands, IBS......

She was lovely and very approachable. I had blood tests, I had a full blood count, ferritin (as mine is always on the low side), B12, Thyroid and another one which I can't remember, think it was fortate? something like that.

I was worried I still had a sinus infection, I had 500mg of amoxicillin 3 weeks ago, surely that would of killed it?? but would it show in the full blood count if I still had an infection?

I have caught the kids virus aswell so I feel pretty crap today and haven't been able to go into uni. The GP thinks I am just juggling too much but she wants to rule out anything that could be the underlying cause, but she did tell me not to worry:winks:

Wee-Mee
23-03-09, 13:39
Aw you gp sounds lovely.

I'm sure you will be fine.

I think everyone can get under the weather with things..just when you suffer HA we tend to feel Under the weather,under the ground,like way down in the ocean somewhere lol.

I don't think that made sense.

Hope you feel better soon sweets

Amy xxxx

Lissy43
23-03-09, 13:43
Thanks Amy:-)

I hope the results are good news:-) I am not too worried just wondering if they can show any signs of the body fighting an infection.

LisaLisa
23-03-09, 14:22
Aimee

Dont worry, sounds like your GP is not worried at all. Maybe you need to take some vitamins?

Where are yours glands swollen? Is that not maybe just from your sinusitis?

Lisa
x

justbananas
23-03-09, 15:24
yes the bloodwork can show if your body is fighting an infection. also sometimes a lot of antibiotics aren't strong enough to get rid of a sinus infection - a good ENT doc can point you in the right direction if it is ongoing ..

Lissy43
23-03-09, 16:04
Thanks for your replies. My gland is up in my neck, gp wasn't worried.

I had acute sinusitis in dec following a cold, 500mg amoxicilin treated it but ive had 2 mild infections since and been treated with anti bs the same as b4.surely if i still had an infection id have a fever and green from my nose.

So if i had an infection the white cell count would be high?

LisaLisa
23-03-09, 16:56
Yes think that the white count being raised could mean you have an infection.

I had fbc about amonth ago and my white count was apparently 0.9 above normal and the GP said I must have had a cough or a cold prior, have had a few but hasnt stopped my anxiety going mental again. Really worrying coz got constant prickles in hands and am paranoid that my circulation failing. My big fear is HIV despite four negative tests and no real risk. Its horrible, no one is listening to me now and Im starting to worry that it will be too late for me and my little girl, but at the same time I see that rational 4 tests thing. its like hell having HA, I used to worry all the time about cancer, now aids, neither very pleasant although apparently the prognosis for hiv is actually quite good now :) not funny i know!

You just sound run down. I know someone who is under weight and is always low in iron and because of that she gets infections a lot. When I had my c section last November I lost quite a lot of blood and the midwife said that i was aneamic and that would lower my immunities.

Worrying and stressing REALLY effects the immune system- too much cortisol lowers your ability to fight stuff off. I know though its really hard to not worry

Lisa

x

jadeyjade
23-03-09, 17:11
i had amoxycillin for my infection and it did nothing, then i had azithromycin which is a stronger anti biotic so it was only a 5 day course. i wont lie, i had side effects from them (bad stomach), but they definitely helped. so dont worry about the anti biotics not shifting it as its trial and error as to which help. that was in november for me and now i feel like im getting another sinus infection grrr haha but if you are stressed or run down too like i am that really wont help. im doing my a levels and i stress about EVERYTHING. also, i think sinusitis can sometimes be caused by a virus - not sure how true that is but if so, antibiotics wont touch it, unfortunately you'll just have to wait for it to pass. have you tried sinus irrigation and decongestants like sudafed? xx

Lissy43
23-03-09, 20:00
Thanks,

Yes I do irrigate but I currently have an infection up my left nostril (the side I get pain in occasionally and nasal stuffyness) the GP today said as ive no fever or green snot from my nostril then I don't have sinusitis, chronic or acute? is that right you think?

I feel just very tired and exhausted tonight, hopefully the bloods will bring good news tomorrow.

jadeyjade
23-03-09, 20:41
could just simply be congestion mate which some people do suffer with, not necessarily an infection. im sure the bloods will be fine and when they tell you you're ok you must believe them as hard as it is. once you accept that then im sure magically you will feel much better :)

Lissy43
24-03-09, 15:29
Rung the surgery, got bloods back.

FBC - all fine, I even asked a few levels to reassure myself;-) think the receptionist thought I was bonkers but hey ho!

Haemoglobin - 13.7
Platelet - 225
White cell count - 6.5

Am I right in thinking then that my white cell count and platelet are totally normal? I thought if I had an infection (bacterial or viral but esp bacterial such as the sinusitis) that the white count would be raised. I have a virus at the mo off my children but have an ongoing sinus issue that I was worried was still infected.

B12 - normal.
Thyroid - not yet commented on.

Fertin - 19.3 so has dropped from last test, GP wants to speak to me tomorrow regarding treatment. Is that very low?

LisaLisa
24-03-09, 15:43
Hi Aimee

Sounds to me like your counts are totally fine. They would have flagged up to see you about the other counts other than the feratin if there were any problems.

Did you speak to doc about the purple blotches?

Lisa

x

Lissy43
24-03-09, 15:50
HI,

Yes she said if the blood work came back ok then they were just what you call devils pinch?

LisaLisa
24-03-09, 16:08
Oh thats good cos your blood definately ok

Apparently some people get bruises and purple blotches to do with hormones too I think, but thats not any thing major at all.

Lisa
x

Lissy43
24-03-09, 21:13
Thanks Lisa xx