PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Feel...

Trish
23-03-09, 18:29
....anxiety in their body moreso than in their head? I know it's a odd question but my body is feeling anxious and yet my head seems ok....can that be:blush: ??

I don't feel ill, but i don't feel right:blush: if that makes sense?

Trish x

CJH86
23-03-09, 18:39
Yeah, i'm going through that phase about now......tends to be when my anxiety has calmed after a bad patch, im not particularly worried/anxious but my body still reacts in 'panic mode':)

KARMA007
23-03-09, 19:20
Me too. Normally after a panic attack, my body will feel anxious for about 24 hours or more sometimes. Makes it impossible for me to go to work, or if I am at work, I cant concentrate because I feel a bit out of this world, if that makes sense.

justbananas
23-03-09, 19:51
yeah i've just been through a bad stretch of anx and mentally - i'm okay.. but physically, i'm still feeling symptoms.. internal shaking, occasional head rushes, etc .. i'm just accepting that it takes awhile for it to come down. right?????

Trish
23-03-09, 20:01
yeah i've just been through a bad stretch of anx and mentally - i'm okay.. but physically, i'm still feeling symptoms.. internal shaking, occasional head rushes, etc .. i'm just accepting that it takes awhile for it to come down. right?????

That's just how i feel although my chest feels tight, i feel tired and slightly lightheaded (but not in a anxiety way):blush: i can't get my head round this feeling, if it continues i'm sure it's gonna screw my head up big time!!

Trishx

justbananas
23-03-09, 20:02
yeah let's just ignore it and know that it could take ages for our bodies to settle down after the mental anguish we've put them through!

lorac
23-03-09, 20:17
I am going through this phase, my head is really in a good place now and thinking very positive but I still can't seem to calm the symptoms down in my body, they come even when I am not even thinking anxious thoughts.

I think I have read somewhere that the body takes longer than the mind to heal.

Carol

Trish
23-03-09, 23:16
Hi Carol

I think that's what it must be that our minds heal faster than our bodies...my body at the mo is sooooo upside down....maybe i should feel grateful it's not my mind...i dunno!

Never mind there's always tomorrow with the hope that our bodies will feel a whole lot better:winks:

Hugs x

justbananas
23-03-09, 23:26
yeah it gets better every week - bit by bit if we let it!!

Trish
26-03-09, 12:32
I have just returned from seeing my GP...AGAIN:blush: !! I told her how embrassed i felt seeing her again, and that i've have seen her and the other GP more in the last few weeks than i've seen my kids:roflmao: !!!!

Anyway i explained how my body was feeling yet my head feels ok and she seems to think that i could be 'overbreathing' a form of hyperventalating.

I'm not aware that i am doing this but i accept what she is saying.

She is going to make an appt for me to see the asthma nurse for some breathing excerises.

Trish.

**twinkle**
26-03-09, 17:00
I have this too, so i did some research.
Apparently, this happens because during the panic attack, you release heaps of adrenaline. You can make yourself feel better by calming down your mind, but the adrenaline is not always "burnt" during the panic attack, hence why you still feeling the symptoms. Its simply your body using the adrenaline.
I was advised to do gentle exercise to eliminate the left over adrenaline.
Works a treat.
Hope this helps

Twinkle

Stressed32
26-03-09, 17:13
I found this pasted on another post and thought it may help you. I read it yesterday and it made great sense to me as to why the symptoms stay even when I am not upset and what/where it all started it all to begin with. Hope it helps :)

Re: MS
I have just copy and pasted this from a reply I posted in another thread...it may help with understanding how physical anxiety can still exist even though we may no longer feel mentally anxious:

'Yes, we all have a traditional view that anxiety is a mental condition but when mental anxiety becomes chronic it will all too often become physical. I prescribe to the rain barrel view of anxiety. What basically happens is that over a period of years we employ bad anxiety management and out anxiety threshold is slowly increasing...in other words the rain barrel is filling up! Now, because this happens so gradually we are actually unaware that our anxiety threshold is increasing...if we where able to tranfer our anxiety level onto somebody with a normal level thoughit will feel incredibly intense to them.

So, we keep filling the rain barrel up and all the while our body adjusts and we just fail to realise we are on a collision course. Now, what generally happens is that we then experience a stressor (can be good or bad) and our anxiety threshold responds by increasing but today is the day that the barrel is full!! Basically, this is the point that our emotional anxiety HAS to become physical..the water is pouring over the top and it is the same with our anxiety...we think that this is all 'out of the blue' but the reallity is that years and years of poor stress and anxiety management have finally told.

At this point it is incredibly common for physical anxiety to manifest itself as neurological sensations. This is because we have, in effect, fatigued our central, periphiral and sympathic nervous systems and this causes a whole host of wierd and wonderful neuro sensations. The problem now is that instead of thinking that we need to allow our bodies and minds time to recover we fall into the trap of literally pouring petrol on the anxiety fire and we analyse these symptoms and convince ourselves we have MS, ALS or whatever is your disease of choice...you are now in the health anxiety loop.

One of the things you here time and time again is 'how can this be anxiety if I'm no longer anxious'? The thing is that even though we may have turned the tap off the barell is still full. Another useful anology is to think of an overweight person...years and years of a poor diet will have made them overweight, if they decide to go on a diet after a week of eating the healthiest and best food ever they are still going to be overweight...it is the same with anxiety, we fall into the trap of thinking that it is all about what we are thinking at the moment...this is our biggest mistake, once anxiety has become physical this indicates it is a chronic condition and therefore it can take us just as long to correct the problem as it took to get into the state we are at. The sooner we stop dumping anxiety on top of anxiety is the point that recovery will slowly start but because we fail to see immediate results we doubt everything and once again employ all those old stalwarts such as over catastrophising, black or white thinking etc etc that are going to keep us locked in the loop'

House fan
26-03-09, 17:49
Hi Trish

Please let me assure you that this feeling is completely normal, and the bewilderment and frustration that follows is one of the main reasons that sufferers fail to recover from nervous illness.

These 'weird symtoms' that you are experiencing don't just come from anywhere... they come from within. Indeed, months and in many cases years of constant tension have caused your body to be on high alert at all times. Adrenaline is released in huge quantities, because of fear. Unfortunately, too much tension and too much adrenaline always results in symptoms... and lots of them!

Up until true acceptance is learned and practised, your body has been 'trained' to act this way. It's now used to it, and will carry on dishing out unpleasant symptoms regardless of how our mind is thinking! Can you blame it? You have been on 'fight or flight' mode for so long, that you are now severely sensitized to everything that is happening inside your body.

If you were to brake your leg, you would be in great pain, but this pain wouldn't worry you in the slightest. You would also accept the fact that it would take a few months to heal, and this wouldn't be a major concern either. Why? Because you know that it takes the body time to heal!

It is no different to exhausted, sensitized nerves! As you continue to accept, each of these 'horrible but completely harmless' symptoms that seem to be your daily companion, will gradually lessen. It will take time though, and this is the bewildering bit that so often hinders recovery!

When a sufferer truly accepts, they expect their symptoms to leave rather quickly, and when they don't, they get disillusioned and lose heart. They then wonder if it is indeed some underlying illness that is causing their symptoms, and not their nerves after all! Sound familiar?

Before you know it, all faith in the accepting process has been lost, and the sufferer is back at square one!

Do not let the continuation of these 'symptoms' put you off your road to recovery! They are a nuisance, but will not harm you in any way. By understanding the way that the nervous system works, you can be re-assured that given enough time, you will be symptom free.

Anxiety is always an expression of mood, although not always an expression of the present mood!

Hope this helps, sorry for the rant.

House.

House fan
26-03-09, 18:13
Please forget my post. Stressed 32 puts it SOOOOOOOOO much better than me.

House

Trish
26-03-09, 19:33
Stressed32 & House thank you so much for your replies....they both make perfect sense:yahoo:

I'm determined now to....'LOOK WHERE I'M GOING, AND NOT WHERE I'VE BEEN':yesyes:

As an old neighbour of mine use to say "You die if you worry, you die if you don't, so why worry" :ohmy:

Mind you she was a hard-faced old coot:roflmao: !!!

Thanks again

:bighug1:
Trish xx

chocoholic
26-03-09, 20:15
hi
yes i do get this feeling - i can be feeling really positive in my head but my body feels horrible which then brings on panic again. my chest feels tight and i feel like i cant breathe properly. ive seen the hospital and they are referring me to a breathing physio as they think i am hyperventilating too. its really hard to accept i am not seriously ill.
choco x