PDA

View Full Version : Gastroscopy (endoscopy) tomorrow morning!! I am SCARED!

Laura xx
23-03-09, 19:47
I have got to go in for my gastroscopy tomorrow morning and I am soooo frightened.

Can anyone tell me if what sedation feels like, and will I be bothered about the whole procedure once they have given it to me?? :weep:

amandaj
23-03-09, 19:52
im not sure what it is to be honest but hope it all goes well for you xx

Laura xx
23-03-09, 19:53
It's where they put the little camera down your throat, esophagus and into your stomach to have a look.

God I am scared!

Trish
23-03-09, 19:53
Hi Laura
When i had it done i was really frightened, but it was nothing like what i expected. I had sedation and i can remember them asking me to turn on my side and to open my mouth and then i woke up and it was all done and i can't remember anymore than that, so i must have been asleep :)! Please don't worry....let us know how you get on.

Will be thinking of you

Trish x

betty72
23-03-09, 20:09
Hi Laura.

Please don't worry. I had one last week and had no choice but to go for the local anaesthetic because I had to be around for my children. I can honestly say it wasn't a pleasant experience but I'm glad I didn't go for sedation. It only lasted a few minutes and I spent more time worrying before! It isn't nice but not that bad to worry yourself silly. Good luck and be brave.

Wee-Mee
23-03-09, 21:25
Aww good luck sweety. Hope all goes well.

Please let us know how you get on now

Amy xxxx

Bluemoon
24-03-09, 22:08
How did it go Laura?

I had one done a couple of years ago and like Betty, I did it without sedation cos I couldn't stand the thought of not being in control. Like Betty said, it wasn't pleasant but it was over in5 minutes and I could then drive myself home, unlike the others who had sedation and were snoring their heads off when I let them.

Sammy J
24-03-09, 22:39
I also had one without sedation a couple of months ago. It's not pleasant but is over in 5 mins, whereas those who had sedation were in for at least an hour I think (in recovery I mean, not having endoscopy!).

One of the two good points for me was they told me there and then the results. The other was having a very amusing male nurse sat stroking my head and trying to make the experience as lighthearted as possible.

I hope it goes ok Laura

Sam :)

Laura xx
25-03-09, 12:02
"Thank you everyone"!! Well I had it done yesterday afternoon in the end. The hospital was running 3 hours late and by the time they got to me I was in a right state!!!

After speaking to the lovely consultant he suggested the throat spray and the sedation and I wasn't going to argue!!

I have a vague recollection of trying to swallow the tube, but that is about all and I didn't notice the hour in recovery because I slept through most of it!

But it was no where near as bad as I thought and I felt reassured by all your kind replies.

I got the results as well and all it was showing was that my valve to the tummy is not working so bring on more indigestion and heartburn!! and the chest pain - great!

Now for the CT scan tomorrow with a dye injection............................

Sammy J
25-03-09, 12:29
Laura...

That is exactly what I was told after mine! I started new pills yesterday as Omeprazole isn't really doing much. I still have indigestion, heartburn and chest pain etc.
Have also had scan for gallstones but not had results yet.

Glad you coped okay.

Sam :)

DufusMaximus
25-03-09, 13:03
Hi Laura

Just joined here the other day. I'm due to have an Endo some time soon. I'm absolutely petrified like most other people. I'll be having the spray and sedation for sure....you know you said you have a vague recollection??....I just wondered what point you remember from and to...do you remember your wait and then going into the room?
Thanks!
Nick

Laura xx
25-03-09, 13:59
Hi Nick.

I walked into the endoscopy room took off my shoes and layed on the bed, the first thing they done was spray the back of my throat to numb it. Then I was sedated and it just felt really nice. I do remember being asked to swallow a couple of times, but I didn't feel any discomfort or the tube going down my throad, then I was woke up and told it was all over.

And all I can say is I was absolutely PETRIFIED!! But it really isn't that bad at all.

The wait is the worst!

DufusMaximus
25-03-09, 14:02
Thanks Laura

That sounds brilliant (and well done by the way!). I think I can cope with that...I'd prefer not to of course but at least I will get my answers then!

cheers for now
Nick

DrTroy
25-03-09, 17:27
I had my gastroscopy yesterday, was very anxious, when I went in they offered both but I thought i would go for throat spray only, didnt fancy the idea of being put out. Anyway its no where near as bad as i thought. You swallow the spray the entire back of your throat is numbed, they then put a mouth guard in, i presume to stop you chomping the pipe in half. Anyway when they put the tube in I didnt feel it till it passed my throat and all it does is make you feel like you need to be sick, this made me gag about three times, they ask you to swallow which just makes you gag, then thats it. It goes past that bit and you can feel something slight but its not bad at all. They pump a bit of air into your belly which makes you burp abit. I just layed there while they travel the camera back and forth, I couldnt see the screen because your on your side and its behind you, because the doctor is in front of you. They did have three nurses with him and one was massive, i think this is to keep you steady if you do over react to the initial stage, I will say again though its not that bad, once you gag a couple of times thats it. It was really quick, then it was removed which i didnt feel and all over !! I would do it again if i had to, the spray dont taste as bad some make out, tastes like a stronger version of difflam.

Hope that helps