PDA

View Full Version : Effexor the good and bad

tom1
24-03-09, 01:07
Ok, I just want to add my review of Effexor as it's been more than 4 weeks now since I've been on it.

Positives:

Probably one of the more potent medications (probably why withdrawals are bad) which seems to work better for me than others for the treatment of anxiety.

The positive effect this had on me was that it made me sleep better (however insomnia still occurs sometimes) and I haven't had a single panic attack. I'm also behaving a lot less stressed and bothered by small things. But before you believe this is perfect, read below.

Negatives:

The bad side to this experience is that I have a certain emotional numbness to a lot of things - my sense of enjoyment has gone out the window in things such as my hobbies.

I have also experienced the worst type of sexual side-effects I've encountered on any med so far with Effexor.

Drowsiness is an annoyance, it makes me feel very medicated.

I get extremely bad dry mouth, worse than I've ever experienced before with other medications. I can't quite seem to keep it wet...

Fatigue, everything is an effort and physically and mentally demanding - Not the first I've had this problem with meds though.

Uncaring, I feel as though I don't honestly care about things I should care about, which creates a lot of problems. But I'll see how this develops...

So ultimately, there is a lot of baggage in my experience, and now the negatives are out weighing the postives in some ways. But don't be too destracted with that, this med can rea;;y help, as it is right now for me.

deb141
25-03-09, 07:50
I am in my second week of taking this med 75mg slow release. Previously i was taking citalopram for 11 wks which just made me feel worse and the side effects were horrible.

Even after just a short period of time i feel better and less anxious, i had one really bad day but the next day was much better. I always feel a bit anxious in the morning but after a few hours feel ok.

So far i don't think i have suffered any side effects, apart from feeling tired but i think that could also be down to anxiety and my mind being so tired. I no longer have the horrible sweats that i had with citalopram. I have previously been on prozac and did not suffer any ill side effects with those either but doc thought venlafaxine would be better as my anxiety is so bad.

For me venlefaxine is really helping so far - long may it continue (or until i am ready to come off !):yesyes: