PDA

View Full Version : what is this?

neelam30
24-03-09, 09:54
Hi there guys
I have been checking out the website for a few weeks now and finally decided to post my particular problem…I hope you can help! For about a year I have been having on/off a tight heavy feeling on my throat and chest, like I have a cold and need to clear the irritation in my lower neck/throat. I have been checking my peak flow to eliminate asthma, and it is fine, so I have concluded it is anxiety; just mild, not interfering in my life much etc. I get hungry really fast, cause I eat very little, and I think that my mind is confusing that hunger feeling with difficulty breathing – does that make sense?

However last week, I was really hungry and ate my dinner quite fast, and suddenly I just felt like I couldn’t breath, like if I ate anymore I would suffocate (and no, its not cause I had a massive dinner and was stuffed!). Now this does happen sometimes, and I think it may be some sort of indigestion thing, and its never caused me more than mild discomfort. So I stopped eating, and took a few deep breathes. But suddenly my heart felt like it dropped (I know sounds dumb!) it was racing but only for about 5 seconds. I felt intensely dizzy. Then I needed the loo, and was trembling and my teeth were chattering. This lasted 10 seconds, but repeated twice again, and the shaking lasted about an hour.
I went to my brother who is a doctor, who said it was a panic attack, brought on by my endless anxiety about everything. I know it has all the classic symptoms of the sympathetic nervous system fight/flight reaction. So I decided not to focus on it.
For the next week I had the usual constricted feeling in throat/neck/ribs but kept it under control.
Last night I was watching tv and suddenly out of nowhere I had shallow breathing, like I couldn’t keep up with my breath. My heart dipped again, and I could feel my legs shaking. I thought I would faint. I did some deep breathes thru stomach, and after one more episode (5 secs, nowhere near as bad as last time) it was better, but my stomach started rumbling, so I don’t know if it was hunger again?

The thing that scares me is the breathing thing. A few nights ago I found that everytime I was dropping off to sleep it would feel like my heart dipped and my breathing stopped for a moment, I also get this in sleep paralysis sometimes (but that’s always been there). I don’t know whether this is blood sugar/hunger issue as I don’t really eat properly- but yesterday I had done.
Please could you give me some advice; I am so scared of this happening again. I am off on holiday in a month but cannot even look forward to that now.
Any thoughts? Is this anxiety?
Thanks in advance.

neelam30
24-03-09, 19:50
no one is answring my post...please reply with some advice!i am feeling awful right now!!!!

ladybird64
24-03-09, 20:04
Hi neelam

I'm not an expert in this but hated to see your post go unanswered.

The first thing that occurs to me is that it is anxiety related, as you mention that you do have anxiety disorders.
Secondly, have you been to your own doctor yet? It may be wise to rule out any physical cause for these symptoms.
If I can suggest it, it might be useful to post this in the Health Anxiety section as I'm sure I have read posts from people suffering similar problems as yourself.
You can drop a PM (private message) to one of the admins and they can move this post to the other section for you.

Good luck

neelam30
24-03-09, 20:06
many thanks!i will do that....!