PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety with a twist

Darwin73
24-03-09, 20:46
Hello
I have suffered from health anxiety in one form or another ever since I can remember, so it was great to discover there are others who can truly understand how this can totally cast a shadow over your life. However, from glancing through the health anxiety posts, I feel like I differ from other people in that I am actually scared to visit my GP for reassurance and put off going whenever I can help it. I am really scared of hospitals and Drs, yet I spend weeks or months (sometimes longer) dwelling on symptoms and diagnosing them myself and fearing the worst (often cancer or other life-threatening illnesses).

I have had CBT for my anxiety, and it has helped me a bit to rationalise my fears, but ultimately (like now), when symtoms present themselves I think of nothing else all day long even though I am a busy mum to little children who should be really happy.

Anyway, that's me. Anyone else scared of Drs, tests, investigations?

Veronica H
24-03-09, 22:21
:welcome: Many here will understand your fears. You will find comfort and support here.

Veronica

Sammy J
24-03-09, 22:30
Hi,

Am total opposite to you in that way. Have bad health anxiety as well as suffering from reflux pain so can't seem to stay away from doctors etc. Think they might start dusting me soon and classing me as furniture :blush: .

Sam

sunshine-lady
24-03-09, 22:39
Hi and welcome to NMP

So pleased that you have found us. I am sure you will like it here as there is so much help, information and support. There is a chat room which is a great place to make new friends

Take care xxx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

ann b
24-03-09, 23:01
Hi
I too suffer with health anxiety and like yourself stay away from the docs,spend most my time self diagnosing so i understand how much of a strain this puts on you.I've only been a member for a few months myself and you wouldnt believe how much this site has helped me.:D

Patty
24-03-09, 23:53
Hi Darwin, :hugs:

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I also hate going to the doctors & avoid it if possible.

Best wishes :flowers:

kittykat
25-03-09, 08:49
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, a lot of good sound advice on here, the chatroom is very good as well, take care xx

Darwin73
25-03-09, 13:52
Thanks for your welcomes and replies. It helps to know that I am not alone and I look foward to chatting more with people as I get to know the forum.