PDA

View Full Version : Stomach problems and anxious once again - please help!

betty72
25-03-09, 07:22
Hi everyone. I'm getting fed up with my own voice on here! I will try to keep this short as school run looms but I've been stressing myself out once more and desperately need some advice. I had an endoscopy last week and the doc took a biopsy and diagnosed me with "a few duodenal erosions" (top of the lower intestine). To me I thought that was a few scratches internally but yes, I googled once more, and I get the impression an erosion is the same as an ulcer. Am I right or are they less severe? The doc who did the test told me to go back on the Lanzoprazole that I had only been taking 5 days until I saw my own GP for the results (which I get next week). I haven't started taking them again yet. This was a week ago because unlike Omeprozole, when I was on Lanzoprazole I had a few weird side effects (pins and needles, food tasted different, spaced out). I thought I would wait until I saw my GP next tuesday to change back to Omeprozole. They have tested me for H Pylori during the examination which was negative a couple of months ago (had trouble swallowing so put on meds and tested) and I told them this but they said this test was more sensitive. Now I'm worried that I've done myself more damage not going back on the medication last week and that my insides are going to disintigrate or get cancer! Please answer these few questions.

1) Is an erosion the same as an ulcer?
2) Are erosions common?
3) Are they easily treatable or will I have to be on medication forever?
4) Does anxiety/IBS/reflux (all of which I have been diagnosed with!) trigger erosions as I have been very "bunged up" recently inside or would it be excess acid?
5) Should I start taking the Lanzoprazole or will I be alright until next Tuesday?

Thanks for your time sorry this wasn't so short after all! :scared15:

LucyA
25-03-09, 08:05
Hi Betty,

I'm so sorry to hear you're in this situation - it's a pain when your medication isn't right but you have to wait isn't it? My advice would be to take the lansoprazole until tues if you possibly can...of course if the side effects are too much to bear then don't as stress can exacerbate ulcers (so i guess it's the same for erosions) and constant worry about how you're feeling isn't going to help.

I think that reflux can trigger erosions as that's linked to excess acid, which is what the lansoprazole will prevent (I've been on lansoprazole before for heartburn and nausea and found they helped a lot, despite feeling spaced out). I'm not sure about IBS triggering them but I think it certainly could be a factor.

BTW you should definitely write this list down (or one with your most important Qs) and take it to the Doctor....I did that once with all my symptoms and she was bouncing up and down in her chair she was so happy I'd done it. I think it makes diagnosis for them much easier.

I'm sorry I can't give you any info on the erosions, personally I'd never heard of them before but if that's just another name for ulcers then the good news is they're very easily treated. I think just with a course of antibiotics. I really hope you're better soon hun, let us know how next week goes :)

xxxx