PDA

View Full Version : It pays to stand up to your doctor.

mick_uk
25-03-09, 12:28
I've had this sinus/head cold infection for ages now and all my doc kept doing was giving me more antibiotics. I'm sure he felt that i was exaggerating the symptoms. Once you have been to a doc for any form of anxiety illness they always seem to blame other symptoms on your anxiety.
Anyway, yet again he said i was to take more antibiotics. I stood firm this time and was quite rude to him in retrospect, but it worked. I said to him that having anxiety doesn't mean I'm thick (i am actually but I wasn't going to let him know that :D ) and that these symptoms were real and needed attention. He smiled ( i think it was a smile, it could have been wind) and then he prescribed me some prednisolone (Corticosteroid i think), and some prescription sudafed tablets (which he weeks ago said wouldn't help), and a different nasal spray to the one that wasn't working.

:D

diane07
25-03-09, 13:00
Good for you mick,

I've been suffering for 12 months now and have given up going.

I too had the these aren't doing anything nasal sprays and the these aren't doing anything mouth antiseptics along with the sudafed and all the other not gonna work stuff............. In the end I.......... discovered i had an allergy and not one of the umpteen docs i saw.

So well done you

di xx

nanny
25-03-09, 13:44
Well done Mick.

Thanks for writing that post not only was it informative but you have a great sense of humour and it made me laugh and cheered me up, and i'm sure you're not thick!!!!!:yesyes:

mick_uk
25-03-09, 13:51
:roflmao:
I should have remembered what my Grandad used to say
"Never trust a doctor who's pot plants have died"

mick_uk
25-03-09, 14:03
Just to add something about my doctor.
A few months ago I asked him for something to help my insomnia.
He looked at me and said "You look fit enough to me. You shouldn't be having these anxiety problems. You have got to just go out there and get on with life and stop letting the anxiety spoil your life"!
What the heck has how I look got to do with how I feel.
I'm over 6ft and slim, I eat well, and do some Tai Chi when i can. But that has nothing to do with what's going on in my mind. I think his charm school must have been bombed in the war. I know what I'd rather be doing than suffering from anxiety and i wish it was as easy as 'go out and get on with your life' PFFFFFFFFT
Enough ranting, I'm off for some camomile tea and a rub down with the Radio Times

:D

diane07
25-03-09, 15:15
Lmao, that made me laugh..............docs eh!

nanny
25-03-09, 15:17
Me too :D :D :D

justbananas
25-03-09, 15:44
mick - your doc should know that just because u do shoulder stands at 4am, that does NOT make u impervious to pain.

mick_uk
25-03-09, 16:07
Justbananas,
I have perfected that now :D
I won't be doing it again at 4AM. Hopefully I will start to sleep again soon.
Thanks for the tips though.

mick

graham58
31-03-09, 22:16
Just seen this thread. Sorry about the difficulties you've been having Mick but I like your sense of humour, if you can keep that going I'm sure you'll win through in the end.

Good luck.