PDA

View Full Version : Fainting?

StephdeMeth
25-03-09, 14:48
Monday night, I had a really bad panic attack. I was in a social group meeting at University, and I suddenly felt I had to get out. My panic attack lasted apparently for about 90 minutes, at which point I collapsed. My two friends who were with me phoned an ambulance, but I regained consciousness quite quickly, but not for long. I then woke up apparently a few minutes later, and then the paramedic arrived. He did checks on me, and everything was almost normal.
I can't remember any of this, this is what my friend told me happened. What scares me is that wherever I read about this sort of thing, all the sources say that it's almost impossible to faint during or after an attack, unless theres another problem. I don't really know what to do about this - I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow about it but they've already run tests and said that there is nothing obviously wrong with me.
Has anyone else ever fainted/fell asleep during a panic attack? Is there a logical explaination for this?

NoPoet
25-03-09, 15:46
It's very unlikely, but not impossible, to faint during panic attacks. I would think it would be something to do with your breathing rhythm. Sometimes people get dizzy while hyperventilating. I could be a combination of shock, panic, hyperventilation and general hysteria that caused you to faint.

Let us know what your doctor says. I'm sure he'll say it was just an extreme, but harmless, reaction.