PDA

View Full Version : My Symptoms

Qetta
25-03-09, 15:21
I am a basket case!:D My legs feel as if they are going to crumble beneath me, I shake a lot and find myself walking sideways when indoors. I hold my body very stiffly. I have had quite a lot of stress in the last three years due to my husband's serious illness. I have always been an anxious person, even as a young child; I don't know what it is like to completely relax. I have tried relaxation tapes, therapy etc but it doesn't work for me. I have no intention of taking medication, even if it was offered, as that is a slippery slope, imo.

NoPoet
25-03-09, 15:33
Hi Qetta!

It can be a slippery slope, but I like to think that medication is an aid to natural recovery. It can give you a little boost, freedom from stress symptoms that allows you to directly face the things that are making you feel ill. But I agree you should not take it unless you are certain you need it!

Sounds like you're suffering from what I call "hero syndrome". You have been strong for your husband through his crisis and after a while you just feel like collapsing. It's the constant stress of worrying about a loved one and taking care of them. You sound like you aren't taking enough time for yourself. There's nothing wrong with you resting and putting your problems aside for a while. I'm sure your husband would agree!

Make sure you're eating properly and getting enough sleep. You should also try to get some exercise where possible in order to strengthen your body and produce stress-busting chemicals in your brain. Keep yourself hydrated by regularly drinking water. You can tell if you're dehydrated cos your tongue may appear pale and dry, but the best indicator is the colour of your urine -- darker usually means dehydrated, clear or light urine is ok.

Qetta
25-03-09, 16:00
I find a small alcoholic drink in the evening helps quite a lot, I never over indulge though as that would be more than stupid.

Medication has never agreed with me and I have a horror of it. I have to take statins for a very high familial cholestoral level and I am convinced my condition is worse now I am on them.