PDA

View Full Version : "wearing out" my nervous system

j2
25-03-09, 19:29
I am more than a bit worried about recurring right index finger pain and numbness. The pain is only in the tip. I have battled HA for years and I am at the point where I worry that I am "wearing out" my nervous system. Like I have put so much stress on myself that I am actually causing nerve damage. Anyone know anything about long term nervous system effects of anxiety?

justbananas
25-03-09, 21:08
hmmmm dunno. my grandfather suffered from anxiety for .. i think 60 yrs or so and he lived to the ripe old age of 90. only problem was.. clearly .. he didn't have much fun bc he was always anxious. but yeah he was fine physically.

justbananas
25-03-09, 21:09
also not boatloads of fun to be around soooooo .. that usually inspires me to try pretty hard to get better.

Captain America
25-03-09, 22:18
you can't wear out your nervous system. only stuff like too much alcohol or other external things can do that. however there are other effects of being keyed up all the time that are akin to highly stressed individuals like air traffic controllers and dog catchers.

okay i'm not sure about dog catchers. anyway you can't wear it out, but it can wear YOU out. i got better and haven't even had a cold in months. i was sick all the time before.

that kinda thing..

j2
26-03-09, 02:24
Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate them. Has anybody else had pain and/or numbness just in one finger or toe?

justbananas
26-03-09, 03:39
i can answer this one also .. yes.. my left pinkie toe started being numb a couple months ago. then a few weeks later the pain kicked in. it's sort of a throbbing nerve ending type shooting pain that comes and goes .. also can't really move the toe without physically using my hands to move it. and i don't think i damaged it in any way .. it just like went numb one day. the tip of my nose also. it's not really numb anymore but occasional pain still.

j2
26-03-09, 12:48
Well it sounds like we are this random pain in common. I had read that panic can cause numbness but I guess I assumed it meant that the numbness was widespread and lasting only during the panic attack. Thanks for the info

ang1
16-04-09, 20:51
For 2 months now i have had almost constant pains in both arms and legs , the pain roams. I have a feeling the pain is due to exhausted nerves from stress and anxiety. The pain sometimes is unbearable. A bath helps for a while, the cold makes it worse.
Any tips?

j2
17-04-09, 13:13
For me the pain and numbness is worse in the morning but gets better as the day progress. I have found that exercise seems to help too. You might also try yoga.