PDA

View Full Version : halfempty

halfempty
25-03-09, 21:51
Anybody ever been on the antibiotic Trimethoprine ?
I was on it for a suspected urine tract infection which didn't turn out to be that in the end. I have never felt so ill while taking this antibiotic. I felt sick, my intestines went wild, I had wind, churning of the stomach and I lost 4 lbs in weight. I lost my appetite completely. I feel a bit better now, but my stomach isn't still right.

countrygirl
25-03-09, 22:45
This antibiotic can cause severe gastorintestinal side effects and if this happens you should stop taking it and see your Dr.
Try taking a good strong probiotic to replace the friendly bacteria in your gut that has been wiped out by the antibiotic and you should start improving.

marius
26-03-09, 01:14
Unfortunately, antibiotics do not discriminate "bad" from "good" bacterias in our digestive system. They kill any bacteria which is not resistent to their action. Good bacterias aid digestion and absorbtion of nutriments from food and boost immune system; without them, diarrhoea, gas, bloating and many other symptoms may occure due to incomplete digestion. Gastrointestinal discomfort is a common side effect with many antibiotics. Eat plenty of yogurt with live bacterial cultures to replentish your friendly bacteria in your gut, or take a good probiotic, as countrygirl mentioned above.
marius

halfempty
26-03-09, 16:54
Thanks guys. Am now taking acidophilis tablets