PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else agree

LisaLisa
26-03-09, 10:44
Hiya

Does anyone else agree that went you get really worked up and anxious it feels like you are totally living in the future and the past rather than the present?

And then when you calm dowm you start thinking rationally in the present again?

Was just thinking that when something bad actually does happen its always at the present time not in the future and you handle it and then move on and the present is never never as scarey as the future.

You probably think im really mental now but I have been trying to get absorbed in the present when im really anxious and it seems to bring out my rational mind which tells me I can cope with anything that happens to me

Just a thought ha ha
Lisa

xx

jbond1978
29-03-09, 22:13
I think you're right Lisa.

When feeling anxious, we will need something to be anxious about, and those things are often thoughts about the future, which are again based on learnings and memories from the past. So being absorbed in present time can be a good thing.

For instance I myself don't feel anxious when absorbed in my work or hobbies or when I don't think too much about all sorts of things in my future (disease, health, etc.) that are not under my immediate control after all.

All the best, Jens